there should be a new thread every night about offsides

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
unfortunately I only remember how much it angers me when its against my bruins. I don't want to be a homer and only post when my bruins are being screwed.

the thing is... I am smart enough to realize in an 82 game schedule it would balance out. the other team will get nailed for just as many crappy offside calls as my bruins. so this isn't about my caring that the bruins get a goal called back. I don't feel anyone is out to get us. in fact, I usually agree on the reviews that the play was offside.

what my entire complaint is... who cares??? how does a guy being 2 inches offside actually give a team any sort of UNFAIR advantage? how does it pollute the intent of the game?

the offside rule was put into place to prevent 'cheating'
its there to stop players from being obviously in the attacking zone when the puck is not there.

I don't mind if the linesman totally brain cramps and makes a grievous mistake that costs a goal... that should be reviewable. but if it requires more than 1 single video review to determin if its offside THEN IT DOESNT MATTER.

and if the play was going on for like more than a minute and the defense even had a chance to touch the puck and couldn't get it out... then IT DOESNT MATTER

the league keeps saying they are desperate to add more scoring to the game for the fans... but how the hell does calling back goals because they were 2 inches offside add more excitement for the fans???

we cant even cheer when our team scores now because we are always worried the goal is being called back. and even if its the other team getting called back how is that worthy of being cheered? our team still allowed a goal. winning by a technicality sucks. getting a goal called back for such a pointless stupid reason is not a good reason to cheer.

the league needs to bring in new off-side challenge rules and if the offside didn't measurably create an unfair advantage for the scoring team than it needs to be eliminated. we want to see more high speed rushes that result in offense. that's what sells the tickets

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
So if two inches offside isn't a big deal let's just widen the blue line two inches.

But then we'll have people complaining about being 2 inches offside on the wider lines and we'll have to widen them two more inches.

Or perhaps well move to a system where if it doesn't look too bad it's not offside.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
I agree its a bit tacky to call back a goal where the offside virtually means nothing 20 seconds prior

refs should avoid calling offsides entirely and just leave it to video review

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Stay onside when you enter the zone and you don't have to worry about whether any subsequent goals that may come about will be called back for being offside.

Plenty of teams do it every night, including your Bruins. Seems like a much easier solution than eliminating offside all together.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They should get rid of the video review. Linesmen can call blatant offsides well enough, and let close ones slide if they don't affect the play in a significant way. Up to their discretion.

I don't like the way they try and look at a grainy picture and try and make out whether an ice molecule was a thousandths of an inch to the left or not.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
briere-offside.jpg

If it means we don’t get these goals anymore I’m cool with heavy offside enforcement.

Reactions: CHLLL Penguin

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
unfortunately I only remember how much it angers me when its against my bruins. I don't want to be a homer and only post when my bruins are being screwed.

the thing is... I am smart enough to realize in an 82 game schedule it would balance out. the other team will get nailed for just as many crappy offside calls as my bruins. so this isn't about my caring that the bruins get a goal called back. I don't feel anyone is out to get us. in fact, I usually agree on the reviews that the play was offside.

what my entire complaint is... who cares??? how does a guy being 2 inches offside actually give a team any sort of UNFAIR advantage? how does it pollute the intent of the game?

its there to stop players from being obviously in the attacking zone when the puck is not there.

I don't mind if the linesman totally brain cramps and makes a grievous mistake that costs a goal... that should be reviewable. but if it requires more than 1 single video review to determin if its offside THEN IT DOESNT MATTER.

and if the play was going on for like more than a minute and the defense even had a chance to touch the puck and couldn't get it out... then IT DOESNT MATTER

the league keeps saying they are desperate to add more scoring to the game for the fans... but how the hell does calling back goals because they were 2 inches offside add more excitement for the fans???

we cant even cheer when our team scores now because we are always worried the goal is being called back. and even if its the other team getting called back how is that worthy of being cheered? our team still allowed a goal. winning by a technicality sucks. getting a goal called back for such a pointless stupid reason is not a good reason to cheer.

the league needs to bring in new off-side challenge rules and if the offside didn't measurably create an unfair advantage for the scoring team than it needs to be eliminated. we want to see more high speed rushes that result in offense. that's what sells the tickets
I totally agree. I've hated it since day one. It should not be a reviewable play.
I also want to see coaches challenges removed all together.

If the NHL really must have offside reviews for the once a season (or less) blatantly obvious plays where the linesman has a brain fart, set strict review restrictions such as:
- Linesmen/refs can't only review for up to 45 seconds
- If the offside occurred more than 30 seconds prior to the puck going the net it can't be reviewed

If they can't see what they need to change the call in a short period of time, then there is no sense in reviewing it.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Why are we pretending the one he is talking about from Saturday was some prolonged review where they had to count pixels to think he was maybe offside? It was an easy review, he was clearly offside.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why are we pretending the one he is talking about from Saturday was some prolonged review where they had to count pixels to think he was maybe offside? It was an easy review, he was clearly offside.

if the offside is intentional

if an unfair advantage is gained by the offside

if the offside was necessary for the goal...

then theres an argument to be made that it matters

if theres a rush... and timing was messed up... and someone crossed the line and it was so close the lineman missed it... so really close...

then why in hell are we calling back goals? the nhl is forcing goalies to wear unsafe equipment because they say goals are needed for the fans.

the way this is... when a team scores... you cant cheer... you wait for the next 2 mins in case the goal might be challenged... by the time they confirm its a goal you don't even feel like cheering

yeah... that's just what the fans needed to be happy

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

if theres a rush... and timing was messed up... and someone crossed the line and it was so close the lineman missed it... so really close...

then why in hell are we calling back goals? the nhl is forcing goalies to wear unsafe equipment because they say goals are needed for the fans.

the way this is... when a team scores... you cant cheer... you wait for the next 2 mins in case the goal might be challenged... by the time they confirm its a goal you don't even feel like cheering

I really don't see any compelling reason to not enforce the rules here. Like someone else said, it becomes a slippery slope. If two inches offside us fine, why not 3 or 4? If 4 is fine then why draw the line at 5 or 6? At some point it becomes excessive, no? At some point you have to draw a firm line? Maybe make it blue and have it right where it normally is?

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
If people really want to “get the call right”, then why not allow challenges for offside after penalties? If a team enters the O-zone offside but it’s ruled onside by the linesman and then one of the defensive players gets a penalty, why can’t the coach challenge that the play was offside? A double minor or major penalty could have more impact on a game than a single goal.

Or maybe we shouldn’t overturn major plays in a game because a skate blade was a few inches off the ice. ;)

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
rules are changed all the time... bad rules are bad rules

this rule intentionally was designed to stop camping in the offense zone... cherry picking. to make the rule simple they said you cant be in the offensive zone without the puck

they wanted to create... exciting rushes. rushes are exciting. they didn't want long passes to some guy camped beside the goal. that's boring

the rule is meant to create excitement

but then there was 1 or 2 big misses... fans were upset by the big misses. no one ever gets upset by a play that is an inch or two offside. sure, the hometeam is upset that a goal was scored against them... but they are more upset at their own team then the offside

cheering when an offside saves your bacon... covers up for your incompetence... is weak sauce

sure, I don't want the opposition to score against me... but I wouldn't cheer when a goal got called back by a fluky offiside. if a couple inches at the blueline is the only thing that stops a goal then the goal might as well count

and as minorly irritating as I might find it for the opposition to score an offside goal against my team... its 1000 times worst when a goal for my team is called back for a nothing happening little mess up at the blueline

I was alive in the days of bobby hull and guy lafeur… watching scoring from a rush is exciting. I don't want everyone coming to a standstill at the blueline and setting up a zone defense because they are afraid to accidently cross the line 1/2 second too soon

if an offside is created during a rush... and its not like more than a second or two... then it shouldn't matter. I feel that way both when its against my team or for my team

offense is important for fan enjoyment of hockey games. way more important than seeing some player skillfully hold up at the blueline and avoid going offside lol. I couldn't care less if its offside when its all part of an exciting rush

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Just stick a 10 second limit on it once the attacking team enters the zone.

The defending team has plenty of time in 10 seconds to reset and play defence. After that it’s irrelevant.

Reactions: Backcheckmonster3

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So, eliminate the blue lines?
Oh boy!

no you still blow the offside if you see it happening. the rule gets enforced like it was always intended to be enforced

but when theres a challenge there better damn well be a reason. it better be so obvious that not challenging would be gross

the offside needs to be offensive... before you challenge it.

I feel different about goaltender interference because getting rough with goaltenders causes injuries. you need to go to extraordinary methods to protect goalies. they are like quarterbacks. I never get very upset when a goal is called back when my team bumped a goalie. bumping goalies isn't part of the game

but... when my team makes a rush down the ice and crashes the blueling exciting and makes a couple great passes in the zone and deserves a goal because of their exciting play... then I get very upset its called back

exciting displays of passing and skating deserve a reward... give them the goal
dangerous plays crashing the net don't deserve a reward... call it hard

the game is supposed to me made fun for us to pay money to watch live and on tv... its not exciting or fun to see goals get called back at the blueline for a play that was so close we couldn't see it when we were watching the first time around

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

I couldn't disagree with you anymore. Who here remembers the awful two line passes?
Now we're complaining about a rule that works. I mean if your offsides you are offsides. If you run a red light whether or not it was close to yellow or not it's still a violation. Some nice goals have been called back because they were illegaly scored and that's the bottom line. How is anyone getting screwed?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Proper rules:
#1: No video replay of the goal or the entry is allowed in the arena until 10 seconds real time after the goal is scored.
#2: Coaching staff has 10 seconds to decide whether to challenge WITHOUT looking at a replay. No coach in the upstairs box looking at a replay either. You don't get to cheat and do your own review before asking Toronto to do one.
#3: If, after all of that, the coaching staff appeals offside, and it is determined that the entry was onside, then there is a 2 min minor assessed for delay of game.

These rules combined should be in play in one form or another in ALL leagues where video review is legal.

The main takeaway: You have to decide to challenge based on what you saw in real time with your own eyes, and there will be consequences if you are wrong.

That would limit the matter to only really bad misses, and I feel that should be the idea here.

Further:
If the defending team obtains possession but does not clear the zone, then that negates the offside - no review possible.

I would even go so far as to not complain if the rule were (defending team touches the puck).

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

What is this melodrama? Everyone I've watched a game with since this became a thing has immediately cheered upon the Oilers scoring a goal. I dont know anyone who legimtately sits there like a stone refusing to smile or cheer in any way until a specific amount of time has passed. Sounds ridiculous...

No one is that worried about an offside challenge.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I couldn't disagree with you anymore. Who here remembers the awful two line passes?
Now we're complaining about a rule that works. I mean if your offsides you are offsides. If you run a red light whether or not it was close to yellow or not it's still a violation. Some nice goals have been called back because they were illegaly scored and that's the bottom line. How is anyone getting screwed?

running red lights is a safety concern right? if you are due at work 15 mins before your shift and you get there at 14 mins and 45 seconds should you be disciplined?

if offside was a safety concern you could compare it to your red light example

but I say its more like cooking... if a recipe calls for 3 shakes of salt and you put in 4... its not grounds for throwing the soup in the trash. that extra shake of salt probably wont be noticeable. it wont really effect your soup. most offside reviews had almost zero impact on the goal being scored

and the people being screwed? its the same people paying the nhl 3-4 billion dollars a year to be entertained

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
What is this melodrama? Everyone I've watched a game with since this became a thing has immediately cheered upon the Oilers scoring a goal. I dont know anyone who legimtately sits there like a stone refusing to smile or cheer in any way until a specific amount of time has passed. Sounds ridiculous...

No one is that worried about an offside challenge.

you probably don't participate in a lot of game day threads here at hf?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->