There it is... Filip Larsson signs his ELC

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Yeah but that argument cuts both ways. Facing London or Guelph behind 16/17 year old rookies and/or general poor defense/team would be a chore for anyone. Could catch a free ride like McCollum or face 40+ shots daily like Mrazek.

You'd think he'd be in the AHL but ECHL is possible to start right?

I'd say it'll probably depend on how the preseason goes, who we re-sign, and what his conditioning is like. I'd say we will re-sign Rybar to be 1A next year while Fulcher and Larsson will battle it out for 1B position with the loser going to the ECHL. I think as of now Larsson has the inside track to be 1B as he has the higher pedigree, but maybe he needs to adjust to the pro game in the ECHL first. I'd also be curious to see if the Wings want to put a GP limit on him given he hasn't played too many games over the past 2 years. Regardless, I'd expect Larsson to be the starter in the playoffs for Grand Rapids it's just the start I'm unsure about.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
JVP does not have more upside than Fulcher. Fulcher is almost two full years younger lol and already playing NA pro hockey.
I liked Joren 2 years ago, now I think he has become expendable and not worthy of a contract from the wings.
Rybar might be older but he too has played great in the AHL(save for the last 10 games for the griffins, who have been HORRIBLE)
15 months , not close to 2 years but anyways , playing in NA doesn’t mean squat to me would you say fulcher has more upside than kotchetkov cause he’s in NA? That’s bs sorry

Fulcher is playing in the echl , nothing to brag about while yes pottelberghe got sent down a league this year he put up good numbers but he was in the higher league last season with respectable numbers and has the size and still very young to be written off

Howard And Bernie’s have 1 year left so were basically praying to god larsson pans out which is stupid and dangerous , I think it would be idiotic to not sign the guy to 2 more years and see what happens while petruzzelli and eliasson keep playing and we have more time to lock them up , rybar and sateri will be gone now or soon so that’s 4 goalies gone

Not Signing van pottelberghe is a dumb move at this stage

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
All of our best prospects are named Filip. Maybe we should just draft players with that name.
Just imagine if a Dylan Phillips ever became draft eligible. Detroit would be on him like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snowstorm.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Howard And Bernie’s have 1 year left so were basically praying to god larsson pans out which is stupid and dangerous , I think it would be idiotic to not sign the guy to 2 more years and see what happens while petruzzelli and eliasson keep playing and we have more time to lock them up , rybar and sateri will be gone now or soon so that’s 4 goalies gone
Bernie has 2 years left (20-21), and Jimmy could get another 1 year contract if he stays healthy and doesn't gain too much more weight.

Apparently JvP has already declined an ELC and prefers to stay in Europe until he's NHL ready.
(Note: Article is from last year.)

Van Pottelberghe turned down an Entry-Level contract offer from the Red Wings

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Bernie has 2 years left (20-21), and Jimmy could get another 1 year contract if he stays healthy and doesn't gain too much more weight.

Apparently JvP has already declined an ELC and prefers to stay in Europe until he's NHL ready.
(Note: Article is from last year.)

Van Pottelberghe turned down an Entry-Level contract offer from the Red Wings
Also says in the article he wants to play in North America and be the wings #1 goalie ,he probably didn’t want to come down a year ago but now it’s whether we sign him or lose his rights time so if he does want to come he will sign I believe

Your right about Bernier(god knows why we gave him 3 years) my bad but neither he or Howard are longterm plans for Detroit and I think after next season If we ain’t a million we can trade Bernier

I just don’t think we should be giving up on him so soon if we can sign him

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Also says in the article he wants to play in North America and be the wings #1 goalie ,he probably didn’t want to come down a year ago but now it’s whether we sign him or lose his rights time so if he does want to come he will sign I believe

Your right about Bernier(god knows why we gave him 3 years) my bad but neither he or Howard are longterm plans for Detroit and I think after next season If we ain’t a million we can trade Bernier

I just don’t think we should be giving up on him so soon if we can sign him
I agree that the Wings should offer him another contract (he's an asset so it would be dumb not to), but he doesn't "need" to sign. If he doesn't sign, it means he's UFA, and he can sign with any team when he feels he's ready. It may be to his advantage not to sign with the Wings, there are teams that are even thinner on goalie prospects.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I agree that the Wings should offer him another contract (he's an asset so it would be dumb not to), but he doesn't "need" to sign. If he doesn't sign, it means he's UFA, and he can sign with any team when he feels he's ready. It may be to his advantage not to sign with the Wings, there are teams that are even thinner on goalie prospects.
Didn’t say he needs to sign , meant we need to sign him we’re not in any position to be turning down 6’3 21 yr old goalies with upside , outside larsson we don’t have much coming. I’m hopeful with eliasson and I know lots of people like petruzzelli but I’m not high on him and sold

Like you said he’s an asset and we should offer him a contract, let him play in Europe another year if he wants to , we have larsson anyways

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Didn’t say he needs to sign , meant we need to sign him we’re not in any position to be turning down 6’3 21 yr old goalies with upside , outside larsson we don’t have much coming. I’m hopeful with eliasson and I know lots of people like petruzzelli but I’m not high on him and sold

Like you said he’s an asset and we should offer him a contract, let him play in Europe another year if he wants to , we have larsson anyways
I think part of the complication is that he's not signed with any Euro team right now either (as far as I can tell). So it would be tough to work out a sign and loan agreement not knowing where he winds up.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
I am just not a fan of Joren. He’s definitely had some ups but the downs(the past two years, yes he had a good season in the NLB but that’s moot) have taken over. I’m not sure if you have watched him but I have actually went to a couple games(vacation) and have always kept up on all our prospects. Keep in mind, the ECHL really isn’t much different then the AHL. I believe it was Mike McKenna(goalie) who said that.

I really don’t think he will sign with the wings or that the wings will sign him.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Some people on Twitter and Facebook keep saying “but he only played 2/3 of a season”

I don’t think they realize how good he has been for 3 years now.
As much as we hate Holland and co. They wouldn’t have signed him if they didn’t think he was ready.
I really believe in 20-21, he will be our starter.

And to the person who said should you get off the Knight train, no but we don’t have a huge need to take a goalie as of now.

I could see backup by then, but probably not starter. If all goes well;

19-20: Puts up some impressive numbers for GR, and is the clearcut starter by the end of the year.

20-21: Red Wings backup. Hopefully he plays well, and starts to challenge Howard/whoever is here.

21-22: Starter.

I've been paying attention to Larsson for a while now, and really think we have a steal here. I remember 1.5 years ago when we were doing prospect polls on HF, I was vouching for Larsson to get more attention. If I had to rank our prospects in terms of NHL potential, he's gotta be a top 5 prospect right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->