There it is... Filip Larsson signs his ELC

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Not that surprising after the last 2 or 3 seasons he has had. Hes a high end goalie prospect

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Is he promising enough that I should lay off the Spencer Knight train? Haven't seen him play but between him and Petruzelli we should have good depth,no?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Never know where the next great goalie will emerge from. Excited to see what he can do.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So what does this actually mean? That he'll most likely be in Grand Rapids next year?

Reactions: Snuggs

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So what does this actually mean? That he'll most likely be in Grand Rapids next year?

yes

signing an elc makes him ineligible to go back to college so they probably wouldn't do it otherwise

I guess in theory he could play in Europe or the CHL but that seems unlikely

Reactions: Snuggs and avssuc

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
He is being fast tracked. Howard only has a one year contract extension so depending upon how Larsson does in the AHL, he could be a potential candidate for the Redwings as early as 2020-2021.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Some people on Twitter and Facebook keep saying “but he only played 2/3 of a season”

I don’t think they realize how good he has been for 3 years now.
As much as we hate Holland and co. They wouldn’t have signed him if they didn’t think he was ready.
I really believe in 20-21, he will be our starter.

And to the person who said should you get off the Knight train, no but we don’t have a huge need to take a goalie as of now.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
All of our best prospects are named Filip. Maybe we should just draft players with that name.

I did a quick Ctrl+F on this link (2019 Draft Prospect Rankings | NHL Draft Prospect Rankings) to identify any Filips, Philips, or Phillips. It appears we are down to Philip Tomasino or Philip Broberg. Take your pick; both options would require us to trade back into the first round in all likelihood.

But in all seriousness, this is a massive development if he can weather the storm of the AHL next season. I wish Sateri the best in his career endeavors, and I will take Rybar back in GR without a doubt, but we're cooking with fire if Larsson is able to transition to pro hockey well. I would have no problem with letting him push through the system as fast as he proves he is capable of. I look at Vasi who was the primary option for Tampa around 22, Murray for Pittsburgh at 22, Hellebuyck for Winnipeg at 23, Gibson for Anaheim at 22/23. Yes goalies take more development time, but even at that fickle position we are seeing impact players show signs earlier. This would be a very big win.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I thought he'd be signed after next season at the earliest when Howard was out of contract. Hopefully he gets a fistful of games in the NHL next season. I don't like this early signing. Bad idea.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Love this signing but I hope this doesn’t mean we let joren van pottelberghe walk this summer , still a kid and turning 22 in June and has some upside, rather we keep him over rybar,sateri,fulcher as I believe he has more upside

Love the larsson signing though

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Love this signing but I hope this doesn’t mean we let joren van pottelberghe walk this summer , still a kid and turning 22 in June and has some upside, rather we keep him over rybar,sateri,fulcher as I believe he has more upside

Love the larsson signing though

JVP does not have more upside than Fulcher. Fulcher is almost two full years younger lol and already playing NA pro hockey.
I liked Joren 2 years ago, now I think he has become expendable and not worthy of a contract from the wings.
Rybar might be older but he too has played great in the AHL(save for the last 10 games for the griffins, who have been HORRIBLE)

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Not to mention it'd be a step down in quality of competition.
Yeah but that argument cuts both ways. Facing London or Guelph behind 16/17 year old rookies and/or general poor defense/team would be a chore for anyone. Could catch a free ride like McCollum or face 40+ shots daily like Mrazek.

You'd think he'd be in the AHL but ECHL is possible to start right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad