There is always a the top picks that drops to the second round

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlin

Mar 10, 2003
montreal
Visit site
Last year O'Sullivan and Galachev (sp?) were sure first rounder but fell to the second round. The year before we had Evseev (sp?) who was picked up by Boston. Hudler was also one of them. All were highly talented but the work ethic or off-ice attitudes made them less attractive. Could also be conditioning problems or size issues.

Any guess as to who it might be this year?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
merlin said:
Last year O'Sullivan and Galachev (sp?) were sure first rounder but fell to the second round. The year before we had Evseev (sp?) who was picked up by Boston. Hudler was also one of them. All were highly talented but the work ethic or off-ice attitudes made them less attractive. Could also be conditioning problems or size issues.

Any guess as to who it might be this year?

Evan McGrath comes to mind, if he hasn't slipped out of the 1st round already.

Munchausen

Radulov? Highly skilled player developing a reputation as a headcase with a questionable work ethic. Might not fall out of the 1st, but IMO he will go much lower than his skill set alone would dictate.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Munchausen said:
Radulov? Highly skilled player developing a reputation as a headcase with a questionable work ethic. Might not fall out of the 1st, but IMO he will go much lower than his skill set alone would dictate.

Most likely a top 15 pick even with being a headcase. I would jump for joy though if he was there @ 31.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Kryoptix said:
Imagine if Schremp drop to the secound round :amazed:

"And with the first pick in the 2nd round, 31st overall, the Pittsburgh Penguins select Robbie Schremp." Most likely Washington would take him w/ one of their late first rounders if he was there.

Larry Melnyk

Feb 27, 2002
Gloomsville, USA
Visit site
Munchausen said:

Is the first part of this really true? I had heard and read that he was stubborn, headstrong, and butted heads with the coach but I had also heard/read that he always gave 110% to go with his tremendous skill....Question comes down to Stubborn teenager or problem child?...Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few teams will think the former and Radulov easily goes in the top 10..

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Radulov does NOT have a work ethic problem!!
Unforrtunately, all too many people think if a player has a free-spirit type of character that they are 'trouble' or 'lack a work ethic'. That's just not true with Radulov, who is an extremely entthusiastic, dynamic, and emotional player. He'ss in fact so emotional and perky that he overdoes it a bit.

Jeremy Roenick is a free-spirit character who speaks what he thinks, but he still has plenty of team spirit and works his butt off.

Munchausen

Larry Melnyk said:
Is the first part of this really true? I had heard and read that he was stubborn, headstrong, and butted heads with the coach but I had also heard/read that he always gave 110% to go with his tremendous skill....Question comes down to Stubborn teenager or problem child?...Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few teams will think the former and Radulov easily goes in the top 10..

Well the work ethic part was about something I read from McKeen's recently:

McKeen's said:
Gifted problem child... Work ethic is bad and there are attitude problems - sources say that Radulov is a me-first player, does not work hard enough and has missed several practices

I assumed they were talking more about his off ice work ethic than on ice here obviously.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think Wolski and Schremp are the two candidates that come to my mind. Both have been projected top 10 pretty consistently all year, but both meet the profile of unquestionable skilled players that might play on the perimeter a bit too much for NHL scouts liking. This can scare scouts more than anything, and I think both may fall out of the top 10, with one dropping down to the late first. I don't think either will fall to the 2nd round, but I sure as heck didn't think O'Sullivan or Hudler would drop to the 2nd either. Of course, either could still go top 10 if a team likes them enough. Obviously it's a crap shoot this year as much as any after the top 2 picks.

I also think O'Neill fits the bill of possibly falling out of the 1st round, but historically, big d-men who skate well don't fall as much as skilled perimeter players. Something tells me several teams in the first round will like what they see in O'Neill enough to that he won't sit in the stands too long.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
steblick said:
Radulov does NOT have a work ethic problem!!
Unforrtunately, all too many people think if a player has a free-spirit type of character that they are 'trouble' or 'lack a work ethic'. That's just not true with Radulov, who is an extremely entthusiastic, dynamic, and emotional player. He'ss in fact so emotional and perky that he overdoes it a bit.

Jeremy Roenick is a free-spirit character who speaks what he thinks, but he still has plenty of team spirit and works his butt off.

There have been several scouting reports indicating he does in fact have a work ethic problem (as mentioned, McKeens is one). There have been others saying he is intense (which is good). And yet others, saying he is inconsistent (read: not always intense).

That said, sometimes troubles with a coach and on the ice in Russia are hard to really get a complete story on. The information we get out of Russia can be pretty tough to count on when it comes down to it. Overall, he doesn't sound so much like a problem child, as much as an imature player who is at least listening to his critics and acknowledging he has to do some things better.

Personally, I love the overall sound of what he brings to the game, but he does have some risk to him.

Munchausen

Dr.Sens(e) said:
I think Wolski and Schremp are the two candidates that come to my mind. Both have been projected top 10 pretty consistently all year, but both meet the profile of unquestionable skilled players that might play on the perimeter a bit too much for NHL scouts liking. This can scare scouts more than anything, and I think both may fall out of the top 10, with one dropping down to the late first. I don't think either will fall to the 2nd round, but I sure as heck didn't think O'Sullivan or Hudler would drop to the 2nd either. Of course, either could still go top 10 if a team likes them enough. Obviously it's a crap shoot this year as much as any after the top 2 picks.

I also think that they may fall, especially Schremp. He has developed a bad reputation, deserved or not, and this combined with the fact he's regarded as a perimeter dipsee-doodler who's more flash than effectiveness might seriously affect his stock. But, I think he will still be a 1st rounder, probably around 15-20, where the talent level drops so much that teams will think twice about him.

leafaholix*

Andrew Ladd... ranked #1... I say he goes between 20-30... maybe later.
Rob Schremp being another one that I think goes between 20-50.

Not sure about Wolski, he's consistentely been a top 5 North American ranked player... I'm not too high on him, but I don't think he drops to round 2.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Hybrid said:
What the hell happened to Mike Card??? He was the top D a long time ago now he's completely off the radar. Like a 9th rounder!

Not even listed by CSS anymore, was #204 at mid-season among NA Skaters but you're right, he was supposed to be a first rounder when looked at last year...

leafaholix*

Unknownbutfamous said:
Ladd 20-30????

He a lock for the top ten

and I could see Schremp drop, because of his character
There are no "locks" in the draft except for the odd player.

Jiri Hudler was a lock to go in the top 15 atleast.
Patrick O'Sullivan was a lock to go in the first round... even the top 20.

At one point, Vladislav Evseev was supposed to go #1 overall in 2003.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Leafaholix said:

But they were small. Is there anything not to like about Ladd that would drop him down to the 20s?

Munchausen

Seachd said:
But they were small. Is there anything not to like about Ladd that would drop him down to the 20s?

I don't think so. He might be one of the most complete player in the draft, even if he doesn't have elite level talent like the Olesz, Malkin and Ovechkin. Still, those big PF always go pretty high. I see him gone before the 10th pick.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Leafaholix said:

At one point, Vladislav Evseev was supposed to go #1 overall in 2003.

None of the above were considered locks. Look at all the rankings (THN, CSS, McKeens) and you won't see this. Yes- they went lower than people thought but no one (in the hockey world) claimed what you said above.

Certainly Evseev was never supposed to go #1 overall by any reputable source. Never.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Trading down made easy...

I predict Chicago trading down a few picks to get Radulov.

He won't go number three, four or five... so i'd say they're safe to trade down around the 6-9 pick.

I bet Chicago could get the #6 and #15 picks from the Rangers for their #3 and #32 picks.

They would be able to unite the Radulov bros and still have #15 to work with.

The Rangers wouldn't be too sore about losing #15 when the have #36 and #37 locked down on top of #3 overall.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Brisebois said:
Well if you look back, Kevin Mailhiot sure has slipped. He was supposed to be an easy first rounder, but concussion problems dropped him down, and possibly out.
He could be a big time steal, injury problems, if solved mean nothing. He is a top 15 talent.

leafaholix*

steblick said:
None of the above were considered locks. Look at all the rankings (THN, CSS, McKeens) and you won't see this. Yes- they went lower than people thought but no one (in the hockey world) claimed what you said above.

Certainly Evseev was never supposed to go #1 overall by any reputable source. Never.
I've heard it a couple times that Vladislav Evseev was to go in the top 3, most likely #1 prior to that injury he suffered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad