There is a new prospect on same level as Nathan MacKinnon in New Brusnwick and...

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Im throwing the name out there now:

Luc Deschesne--Defense--Fredricton Canadiens Bantam and Midget

I usually would not hype a 13 year old but this is a special exception.

He is 5'11/160
http://www.nbbantamaaahockey.com/scoring.htm
http://nbpeimmhl.stats.pointstreak.com/playerpage.html?playerid=4467507&seasonid=6345

He is a 97 born prospect he played in the Atlantic Challenge Cup for the U16 squade when he was suppose to play for the U14 team, he was the number 1 defender for the New Brunswick team over Matt Murphy who played on the U17 Atlantic team and is a potential 1st round QMJHL pick this year...my head scout did not bother looking at Deschesne's birthdate and had him actually ranked for the 1st round of this years QMJHL draft untill the meeting that night when I brought up he was a 13 year old and is 2 years of, his eyes bugged out of his head. His job against Atlantic was to contain Nathan MacKinnon in the Atlantic Challenge Cup and he did just that laying a huge open ice hit in him at center ice and doing very well containing Nathan out there...This was the first time every a player at 13 has ever played for the U16 team in this tournament beating out guys like Brandon Gormley and Sidney Crosby who both played a year younger. He is on the Canada Games Roster for New Brusnwick as a 97 born when it is a 95 born tournament, and I am pretty sure he will be on the U17 team Atlantic team next year as a 14 year old he is that good.

Deschesne is a very fast skater, good balance and great acceleration, he is a puck rusher, amazing rushes down the ice, ultra smooth hands and just amazing vision, he already has a strong shot from the point and is so smart I really never seen a dman this smart at this young in my many years of scouting now, he has a physical side and is great in his zone as well, he is one of the best offensive dmen though I have witnessed, every time he is one the ice he just makes the right play all the time at the right time, he rarly screws up.

He actually played 3 games in Major Midget this year and got 1 assist, in Bantam he has 25 points in 16 games to be in the top 10 in scoring as a rookie in bantam on defense. He was already featured on the News in Atlantic Canada as the next one to watch. I have watched him and at that age he is making Luc Bourdon and Brandon Gormley both luck like crap players.

Nothing is set in stone and this young anything can happen, but im giving the name out there now incase people want to follow him because he is pretty special at the moment.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
13 is young enough its getting to the point where theres still a good chance they will just disappear off the radar.

it is young but you know what if you saw him play and he could be a 1st round QMJHL pick this year if they allowed it, it is something special and a guy to put on the watch radar.

im just giving the name to follow and saying how special he is right now...choose to follow him if you want but he is amazing right now.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
it is young but you know what if you saw him play and he could be a 1st round QMJHL pick this year if they allowed it, it is something special and a guy to put on the watch radar.

I'm not doubting it. But so much can change. When I was 10 or so ten years, at a Rangers game, my dad talked to a Washington Capitals scout who knew a kids name who my dad asked what happened to him, and he said he definitely knew who he was and said he was the one of the most talented players he had ever watched play, and couldn't belelive at 15 he was playing House Leauge (He went from house leauge to Major Junior in about 4 months), and by the time the next season started he was completely gone, personal problems. Lost all desire to play at that level anymore.

Happens a lot to kids who are proclaimed as prodigys and get immense pressure, espeically so quick. For all the Crosbys and Tavares that were destined to go 1st overall since they were 14, theres plenty of kids who just disappear, playing reasons, personal reasons, and I'm sure you know that as a scout. I know you'l say the National Competitions that set him apart, but a lots changing, more open to younger players getting on these teams.

I have no doubt this kid is immensely talented, but I wouldn't say its a sure bet in 2 years he'l even be drafted into the QMJHL, a lot can change.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
At 13 Johnny Hughes from Whitby was supposed to be the next Gretzky, time changes everything, but I hope it works out for this kid!

Thanks scoutman, appreciate the work!

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I have no doubt this kid is immensely talented, but I wouldn't say its a sure bet in 2 years he'l even be drafted into the QMJHL, a lot can change.

scoutman1 works for a team in the Q. If he says a kid would be drafted this year it's because he would tell his GM to make the pick.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
scoutman1 works for a team in the Q. If he says a kid would be drafted this year it's because he would tell his GM to make the pick.
23 year

actually my Head Scout was the one who deemed him the 1st round pick because he didn't know he is 13 years old...He has been a QMJHL scout for the last 23 years and has turned down a number of NHL scouting positions because he is just happy doing his job for his Quebec team and is not interested in working NHL.

Almost every scout there was talking about this kid as just down right amazing...one person is right John Hughes was super ranked at his draft age...but I can tell you one thing that makes or breaks a lot of younger players...dedication, and this kid is the type to dedicate all his time to hockey.

Last edited:

loxcane

Apr 7, 2008
Canaduh
Even taking that into consideration, even if you don't believe what or who Scoutman is, one thing I can say in his favor is it makes good reading. Until a player hits the NHL, that's all they are anyway.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
The Atlantic provinces sure seem to finally be producing some good hockey prospects!

I live in Fredericton so will try to get out to watch him play

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Watched the kid back in October...on the NB U16 team and he was the best defenseman on his team...which is saying something because the whole team was 15 and he was 13...not to mention one of the 15 year old dmen (Murphy) was on Team Atlantic U17 as a 15 year old.

Of course he is 13...and some people will be thrown off by that fact but he has played some games at the Major Midget level this year.

He is currently participating with the Fredericton Canadiens Midget AAA team at the Kiwanis Tournament in Gatineau Quebec.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Watched the kid back in October...on the NB U16 team and he was the best defenseman on his team...which is saying something because the whole team was 15 and he was 13...not to mention one of the 15 year old dmen (Murphy) was on Team Atlantic U17 as a 15 year old.

Of course he is 13...and some people will be thrown off by that fact but he has played some games at the Major Midget level this year.

He is currently participating with the Fredericton Canadiens Midget AAA team at the Kiwanis Tournament in Gatineau Quebec.

I'd like to know how this tournament turns out for him.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Listed him in today's paper at 5'10" 186 lbs (as a 13 year old). His uncle (CIAU rookie of the year for football) was 6'7" and 300 lbs and another athletic uncle was 6'3" 220 lbs.

My co-worker's son plays against him (my co-worker is the coach) and yeah, basically what scoutman said.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Sam Calabrese is Bobby Orr 2.0
Steven Anthony will be #1 overall
Devon MacAusland has Wayne Gretzky's skill set.

I'm not saying this isn't exciting, but I would rather wait to hype him until he's set foot on the Q's ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad