Aug 5, 2009
California
... more than Erik Karlsson.

ZfJ76h4.gif

wanted+hugging.gif

LrVrs2C.gif

erik-karlsson.gif

8785009_orig.gif

Seriously. Performance altering injuries, divorce, struggling team and the kid still manages to keep a smile on the bench and brings passion to every game. We all know EK is an exceptional talent, but the passion he brings to the game is refreshing.

BigBush*

Use the passion to fuel yourself to become the best defensman in the game. I believe in you EK

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I completely agree, it's what drives him to be the best. I really hope he recovers from his injury well and he rounds out his game perfectly as he gains more experience.

I'd also argue that no one is more harder on themselves than Karlsson.

He has all the makings of an excellent captain and brilliant mentor for many upcoming defenders/players.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
I like the towel one myself. He's just minding his own business when suddenly Andy is like "don't forget to bring a towel!"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wish that second gif went on longer. The original gif of it was hilarious. After the hug both he and Green just stand there arm-in-arm watching the chaos in front of them. Hilarious.

I completely agree, it's what drives him to be the best. I really hope he recovers from his injury well and he rounds out his game perfectly as he gains more experience.

I'd also argue that no one is more harder on themselves than Karlsson.

He has all the makings of an excellent captain and brilliant mentor for many upcoming defenders/players.

Gretzky had the best advice: When things aren't going your way, eat a cheeseburger. Seriously, the kid needs to go out for a few hours and just be normal and forget about hockey for a second (and the cheeseburger would help put a bit of weight on the kid, too).

But a big NO for giving him the C. Kid has enough pressure. No need to add any more unnecessarily.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
How anyone can watch Erik Karlsson play hockey and not love him is a mystifying thing.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Theoretically, I wonder how many points Karlsson could produce if he played primarily with Crosby at C.

an enormous, even more ridiculous number of points.
It would be an amazing thing to watch those 2 play together, among other things the way the both can take and receive a pass, the speed, the hockey IQ.

it would be terrifying.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
Divorce? I thought he just got married?

He got divorced some time late last year. It had been speculated by people online and by word of mouth for some time but he just confirmed it to a Swedish newspaper recently. There have been lots of word of mouth stories regarding him not being married anymore but for obvious reasons I won't discuss any of it.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You love to see that natural enthusiasm for the game that EK has. Another guy who seems to have it is Drew Doughty.

NFL teams increasingly use the, "How much does he really love the game?" measuring stick when evaluating draft prospects. It was even the title of Jon Gruden's book - "How Much Do You Love Football?" They found over the years that there are a lot of ridiculously talented athletes who, at the end of the day, just didn't have the passion for the game needed. They played football because they were good at it and it got them things they liked - social status, money - but the fire just didn't burn for them. On the other end of the scale, Peyton Manning is apparently a complete football nerd - compulsively studying film, first one in, last one out, etc., even at age 37. Needless to say, that's what you want.

It actually makes sense, and strikes me as one of the most important intangibles any pro sports team should look at with prospects. Any guys who ever played sports at a competitive level will know that "talented with no passion" guy - he teased you with his skill level, but at the end of the day you couldn't rely on him. You also know the guys on your team who just loved the game, and had that good attitude that was infectious.

edx

Mar 26, 2013
It actually makes sense, and strikes me as one of the most important intangibles any pro sports team should look at with prospects. Any guys who ever played sports at a competitive level will know that "talented with no passion" guy - he teased you with his skill level, but at the end of the day you couldn't rely on him. You also know the guys on your team who just loved the game, and had that good attitude that was infectious.

Heck, any long time Ottawa fans might recall a couple of early draft pics with this issue....

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You love to see that natural enthusiasm for the game that EK has. Another guy who seems to have it is Drew Doughty.

NFL teams increasingly use the, "How much does he really love the game?" measuring stick when evaluating draft prospects. It was even the title of Jon Gruden's book - "How Much Do You Love Football?" They found over the years that there are a lot of ridiculously talented athletes who, at the end of the day, just didn't have the passion for the game needed. They played football because they were good at it and it got them things they liked - social status, money - but the fire just didn't burn for them. On the other end of the scale, Peyton Manning is apparently a complete football nerd - compulsively studying film, first one in, last one out, etc., even at age 37. Needless to say, that's what you want.

Completely agree.

I can name half a dozen guys in the league that have more natural offensive talent than Crosby; but the difference between those guys and 87 is the passion and love of the game, and love of competition.

That's why it's so special - and so rare - to get both an elite talent and a huge passion for the game in one package.

Niv

Registered Hater
Sep 22, 2009
Ottawa
My favorite EK moment was when Meisha Brugger-whatever was just butchering the anthem and she belches out: "Lemme hear you!" and they cut to Karlsson and his body is violently shaking from trying to contain his laughter. Just hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQjVs42V1A

Jump to 3:25...

Haha yeah that was awesome. It still amazes me that someone thought that having an opera singer do the national anthem was a good idea.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
He's not 8 feet tall and Canadian so 40% of Canadian hockey fans automatically hate him.

Plus the fact that he plays for neither Toronto nor Montreal. Subban in the same league as Karlsson? PFFT. I keep telling my Habs friends to keep dreaming.

I lol'd when I saw the first gif in action during the Carolina game on Monday. Whether on or off the ice, it's always fun to watch Karl :handclap:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He's not 8 feet tall and Canadian so 40% of Canadian hockey fans automatically hate him.

I don't think anyone hates him, he is really good at one end of the ice & really bad at the other end & leads the NHL in giveaways. That's a fact, it's not hate & some people think you need to be good at both ends of the ice especially if your a Norris candidate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad