There are currently only 5 teams below .500

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My deal is that the NHL point system keeps point total systems artificially close while making it very difficult for teams to close that supposedly close gap.
I don't think they're artificially close, but bad teams can rack up points easier than they used to.

It would be interesting to run some numbers on the actual point % differential between teams before and after the loser point. I think we'd be surprised at the results.

Moregoalspls

Nov 24, 2017
Over .500 is just business and its smart. It gives the illusion that some bubble teams are better than they are, catering to there market. And sometimes those bubble teams make it. Everything is about money.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't think they're artificially close, but bad teams can rack up points easier than they used to.

It would be interesting to run some numbers on the actual point % differential between teams before and after the loser point. I think we'd be surprised at the results.
Last year I did an exercise at the end of the season where I assigned every regulation time win 3 points, every OT win 2 points, and every OT loss 1 point.
After all was said and done only one team that made it into the playoffs under the current pts system, didn't under mine. Not much changed. I was surprised.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I think someone did an analysis on the by the numbers board a while back... In the OT/SO era, ~0.565 is actually about where the break-even point is, which is 92-93 points over a full season.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Right now there are 10 teams in the league who are either 1 pt above .500, at .500, or 1 pt below .500

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Last year I did an exercise at the end of the season where I assigned every regulation time win 3 points, every OT win 2 points, and every OT loss 1 point.
After all was said and done only one team that made it into the playoffs under the current pts system, didn't under mine. Not much changed. I was surprised.
I don't think much changes if you go back to the traditional point system, maybe good shootout teams get penalized and poor shootout teams get rewarded, but generally the top 16 teams make the playoffs no matter the point system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad