Speculation: Theory about odd D-Pairings tonight

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I have a feeling Dubas is up to something.

Lets assume that Hainsey isnt actually going to stay with Rielly, and instead he is a placeholder for this game. Dubas made Babs split the Gardiner - Zaitsev pairing, and to bolster depth he wants them to be spread out, and also to see if they work together as a bottom 4

Muzzin - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

or

Gardiner - Muzzin
Dermott - Zaitsev

my theory is that dubas wants to see how these guys mesh together because he is working on getting a top pairing RHD for Rielly

you could also do

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - ?
Dermott - Zaitsev

but I think Dubas is doing this to see how it would all work together

thoughts?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Babs made adjustments around this time last year with Kapanen/Johnsson vs Komarov/Martin. Might be similar, the stubbornness is finally giving way and he's trying a few different combinations out (e.g. Dermott on the right side is a big one to try out).

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I mean I hope Babs is accidentally showcasing Hainsey and Zaitsev...

Rielly-
Muzzin-
Gardiner-Dermott

I love as a base..

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Hainsey 3rd in the NHL in +/- playing the right side...impressive!
Having a great season. This team needs him badly.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I have a feeling Dubas is up to something.

Lets assume that Hainsey isnt actually going to stay with Rielly, and instead he is a placeholder for this game. Dubas made Babs split the Gardiner - Zaitsev pairing, and to bolster depth he wants them to be spread out, and also to see if they work together as a bottom 4

Muzzin - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Dermott

or

Gardiner - Muzzin
Dermott - Zaitsev

my theory is that dubas wants to see how these guys mesh together because he is working on getting a top pairing RHD for Rielly

you could also do

Rielly - Muzzin
Gardiner - ?
Dermott - Zaitsev

but I think Dubas is doing this to see how it would all work together

thoughts?

I doubt Shanny has the balls to try and tell Babcock how to coach or who to play.

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
We aren't trading one of our most valuable players who is under-paid entering a cap-crunch.
who do you think I want to trade?

we can get gudas for either straight picks or brown + picks to alleviate cap hits

i dont want to trade any of our current d (apart from zaitsev)

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I would make one change to these pairs.

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Dermott
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Gardiner and Dermott is not a 3rd pair and Hainsey and Zaitsev should not both be back in the top 4.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
who do you think I want to trade?

we can get gudas for either straight picks or brown + picks to alleviate cap hits

i dont want to trade any of our current d (apart from zaitsev)
I misread or interpreted what you said. You wrote, "get a top pairing RHD for Rielly." I thought you meant, get a top pairing RHD by trading Rielly, not as in getting a top pairing RHD to play alongside Rielly. For works either way in that sentence.

Reactions: Big Sugar

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Haven’t had a chance to watch many leaf games this season entirely from start to finish, this was one. Nice road win! but there were some concerns in my opinion.
1. Too much reliance on Freddy. The 5-2 game is flattering given some ridiculous saves by Andy and I’ve seen that all season.
2. Defense still looks bad at times particularly Zaitsev. If only there was a way to magically subtract him and add Pesce :naughty:
3. Something not right with the Matthews line. Given the recent success of the Nylander-Kadri combo, I’m inclined to keep them together. So how about bump Johnson up and move down Marleau. Johnson-Matty-Kappy could be very good

Other then that pretty happy with this one :)

LucicAndChong

Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I would make one change to these pairs.

Muzzin-Rielly
Gardiner-Dermott
Hainsey-Zaitsev

Gardiner and Dermott is not a 3rd pair and Hainsey and Zaitsev should not both be back in the top 4.
yeah i agree, but then you gotta put hainsey with zaitsev and... yeeaaaaaaah no thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad