Theo Fleury Versus Gary Roberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Just vote for the better player, taking into account peak, prime, longevity, talent, accomplishments, awards etc.

Bracket A:

John LeClair (2-0: defeated Nolan and Amonte)
Alexander Mogilny (1-1: lost to Recchi, defeated Whitney)
Theo Fleury (3-0: defeated Kovalev, Marleau and Roberts)
Gary Roberts (2-1: defeated Smyth and Bertuzzi, lost to Fleury)
Luc Robitaille (2-0: defeated Hossa and Palffy)
Mark Recchi (1-1: defeated Mogilny, lost to Shanahan)
Marian Hossa (1-1: lost to Robitaille, defeated Tkachuk)
Brendan Shanahan (2-0: defeated Tkachuk and Recchi)

*When a player loses four match-ups, he is eliminated. When a player wins four times, he advances to round 2.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
It says Mogilny lost to Recchi and defeated Whitney but Hossa says he beat Mogilny and lost to Shanahan but says Shanahan beat Recchi and Tkachuk?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is Fleury and isn't remotely close. They played on the same team for most of both of their primes and Fleury was the better player then and the better player after leaving the Flames. Pretty much every year they were both in the NHL Fleury was better.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
This is Fleury and isn't remotely close. They played on the same team for most of both of their primes and Fleury was the better player then and the better player after leaving the Flames. Pretty much every year they were both in the NHL Fleury was better.

Agreed. I assume the votes for Roberts are either due to the Toronto effect or dislike of Fleury for his personal issues.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I voted for Roberts, and it is because he was not only a good scorer for his time in Calgary (scored more goals than Fleury at their respective peaks), but also his intangibles. He protected other players, and was a huge leader on and off the ice. He was also the MUCH better team player. I would pick Gary 10 out of 10 times for my team, and thus I pick him in this poll.

When he came back from his injury to a Theoren Fleury led team, that team dramatically changed IMO. The problem with Gary Roberts is that he played a heck of a long time in the twilight of his career and was a role player. I do think he was the more effective hockey player, points aside (and was a productive one at that, though the nod on pure production goes to Fleury).

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It says Mogilny lost to Recchi and defeated Whitney but Hossa says he beat Mogilny and lost to Shanahan but says Shanahan beat Recchi and Tkachuk?

My mistake. I screwed up on Hossa's record. He lost to Robitaille and defeated Tkachuk. Fixed now. Thanks for pointing that out.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
To be fair, I don't know if very many of the people who voted for Roberts actually are Leafs fans whereas several who voted for Fleury are in fact TML fans.

Assuming Reinhart is a Flames fan, at least two CGY fans have voted for Roberts.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Just vote for the better player, taking into account peak, prime, longevity, talent, accomplishments, awards etc.

Peak - Fleury
Prime - Fleury
Longevity - Roberts
Talent - Fleury
Accomplishments - Fleury (Gold Medal)
Awards - Tie

Fleury was the better player but Roberts had an incredibly solid career and he's one of my all time favorites - he was amazing here in Toronto.

EDIT - He was great in Pitt vs Sens also.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
To be fair, I don't know if very many of the people who voted for Roberts actually are Leafs fans whereas several who voted for Fleury are in fact TML fans.

Assuming Reinhart is a Flames fan, at least two CGY fans have voted for Roberts.

It's probably incumbent upon the guy making stupid comments to do the research, don't worry bro.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The votes are 46 to 7 in favor of Fleury (he has more than an 85% lead); therefore, he wins and remains undefeated.

Theo-Fleury-Vinnick-Olympics.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad