Then and Now Czechoslovakia

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The most popular activity in the history section is trying to compare hockey and its players across eras. Usually this is done against a background that makes certain assumptions, bigger = better, faster = better, etc.

Let's try to get a clearer picture by looking at two decades, 1970 to 1979 and 2000-2009.Player eligibility is rather simple - one game in the NHL or WHA or for the respective national team inc junior.

Please present a list of the top 25 Czechoslovakian hockey players 1970-79 and 2000-2009.For the purposes of this thread we will blend the two republics in the spirit of athletic harmony.Arguments appreciated.

Thank you.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Please present a list of the top 25 Czechoslovakian hockey players 1970-79

I shall just do that - for now, anyway. The general idea is that the players had at least 2-3 true elite seasons during that time period, but I made a couple of exceptions (Suchy for example). Also, this is not necessarily based on how they did compared to one another in the Czechoslovak league or internationally (I mean, P. Stastny certainly wouldn't be #1 in that case), but rather how they rank as players (but obviously I haven't seen them ALL playing):

Peter Stastny
Jiri Holecek
Vaclav Nedomansky
Vladimir Martinec
Jan Suchy
Ivan Hlinka
Frantisek Pospisil
Milan Novy
Vladimir Dzurilla
Jiri Holik
Jiri Bubla
Oldrich Machac
Vincent Lukac
Marian Stastny
Jaroslav Pouzar
Bohuslav Stastny
Jaroslav Holik
Bohuslav Ebermann
Jiri Kochta
Richard Farda
Jiri Novak
Miroslav Dvorak
Eduard Novak
Frantisek Cernik
Josef Augusta

Oh boy, it was getting harder and harder all the time; I was just basically throwing out names when nearing the end. Hope I didn't leave out anyone who definitely should have been there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad