Theater vs VOD

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I’ve seen this topic come up here and there and it was something I’d thought about even before a pandemic.

While there’s undoubtably something unique about seeing a movie in a theater (I can’t imagine Avengers: End Game without everyone’s reaction to key moments), if movies were offered a combo of theater release or VOD on the same day how much more likely would you be to see more movies?

I feel like I’d be more inclined to order a pizza and rent a standard, non-tent pole new release for $20 for myself or my wife and I then go spend about as much (in my area) on tickets for the same thing at a theater.

I realize this is pie in the sky thinking as theaters would never allow it but curious as to everyone’s opinion.

member 51464

Would watching at home offer a great deal like AMC A-list?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If you pay $24 for two tickets, that's about $15 that goes to the studio and the theater keeps the rest. I imagine that the VOD providers take much less of a cut, probably only a few dollars. That suggests to me that the studios might make more off of individuals and couples by making movies available on VOD for $20. Of course, they'd lose money on large families and individuals/couples who gather to watch a rental together, but it could balance out.

The real hurdle, I think, is simply getting enough rentals to match or exceed what the studios would've received from the box office. That seems like less of a logistical problem and more of a social comfort one. It takes time for society to get comfortable with and see the benefits of a new way of doing things, much like how, 10-15 years ago, most people would've said that they preferred getting a rental DVD in the mail, but, now, would prefer streaming the same movie. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the future, it becomes very normal to watch new releases at home instead of the theater, though theaters still may exist for their unique experience, kind of like how people still go to concerts even though they can listen to the music at home.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Once it goes to VOD, a (good) copy will inevitably end up on free sites. Once it's there, people like myself will see it for free.

Studios need a captive controlled audience. Movie theaters give them that.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Because studios don't want a bottle neck, they will start releasing movies they expect to perform poorly (either because of poor reviews from focus groups or because the movie lacks a buzz) when theaters open.

The battles between studios and movie producers / actors will likely get ugly - the producers/actors believe their movie has potential but the studios lacks faith.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad