The youngins will be the ones that get screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Whoever gets their way in this war, it seems the ones who will get screwed will be the young players, prospects and rookies. Every proposal from either side I've seen has severely limited their income. The rich players who pay the salaries of Goodenow and the PA would much rather sacrafice the salary of the younger generation than give up any of their own paycheck. The owners obviously would like to keep the rookies salaries low too, since limiting their ability to bargain greatly reduces their costs over the long haul.

In the end, I think what we will see is that overall salaries are going to come down one way or another. However, the disparity between older and younger players will be greater than ever. These players are perhaps the most interested parties in the outcome of the labor war, since they will have to live with the results for a long time to come, yet have absolutely no say in whats being decided.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Frankly, this is exactly as it should be. One of the places where I completely agree with the owners is on the need to curb the entry level salaries and remove the inflationary mechanisms of the post Daigle/Thornton era.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Frankly, this is exactly as it should be. One of the places where I completely agree with the owners is on the need to curb the entry level salaries and remove the inflationary mechanisms of the post Daigle/Thornton era.

It's always the young non-members that get "thrown under the bus", and for the most part it's as it should be.

What I don't like is that the rookie contracts will now be 4 seasons, and can't have ANY bonuses. IMO that is unfair. They should get rid of these ridiculous bonuses that are far too easy to acheive, but two players in their first four season finished ties for the NHL lead in goal scoring.

They should be able to receive a bonus for leading the NHL in goal scoring.

IMO they should be able to receive bonuses for being a finalist for any major award, for finishing top 5/10 in goals, points, +/- etc.

Lanny MacDonald*

And so it should be. For every single great young player that earns his keep there are twenty that suck and throw the salary scale out of whack. The youngster who proves his worth will score his big money as he establishes himself. Just like the real world when you come out of school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad