TSN: The writing is on the wall for Craig Anderson in Ottawa [Ian Mendes]

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The sad demise of a starting goalie...

Over his almost decade-long tenure in Ottawa, Anderson has faced stiff competition from the likes of Robin Lehner, Ben Bishop, Andrew Hammond, Mike Condon and Anders Nilsson – all of whom tried to wrestle the No. 1 goalie mantle away from him. At times, the tension inside the Ottawa crease was palpable, but Anderson never truly relinquished his status as the top netminder.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-writing-is-on-the-wall-for-craig-anderson-in-ottawa-1.1426808?tsn-amp

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The sad demise of a starting goalie...

Over his almost decade-long tenure in Ottawa, Anderson has faced stiff competition from the likes of Robin Lehner, Ben Bishop, Andrew Hammond, Mike Condon and Anders Nilsson – all of whom tried to wrestle the No. 1 goalie mantle away from him. At times, the tension inside the Ottawa crease was palpable, but Anderson never truly relinquished his status as the top netminder.

https://www.tsn.ca/the-writing-is-on-the-wall-for-craig-anderson-in-ottawa-1.1426808?tsn-amp

Anderson has held our net for 10 years and earned nearly $40 million. He has had a great run and should be (I assume he is) proud of career.

Before he came to Ottawa he was bouncing around a bit, changing his name etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think we have been emotionally ready for this since Andy got here because when we saw him we assumed retirement was close because he was already bald.

Andy’s done great, best goalie Ottawa has ever had.

but no controversy here - we saw Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Ceci and Dzingel get traded - we are numb. We want to lose, starting a rookie who can’t win is exactly what we want. We like Andy but we don’t need to see him get shelled anymore, We’ve had years of watching that. Let the old dog lay on the couch and enjoy his old age.

hope he goes to a contender.

Reactions: TheDebater

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
He’s been the best goalie the franchise had since 1993 (I don’t count Hasek). But he is getting old. It’s normal that young guys are taking his spot, he is not the #1 goalie he use to be but he bring leadership and stability on the young roster. He will probably be dealt to a team who is looking for a good backup for the playoff and leadership. But Overall Anderson bring calm, leadership and stability during his tenure with the sens I hope the team that acquire him with the Stanley Cup the guy deserve it. He was always a good pro.

Reactions: SensFactor

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Sad doesn't really feel like the right word.

It was a good relationship. The Sens revitalized Andy's career, and Andy helped give us a few rounds of playoff action over the years.

But, this is pretty much ear the end for his career. Father Time is undefeated, and we've all known this has been coming for a few seasons now.

If he's traded, I hope he gets a chance to land on a contender, and chase the ring one last time.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I hope he doesn't get traded, TBH. He'll just languish on the bench elsewhere, and we'll get a lousy sixth rounder or something. It feels insulting to the guy's legacy with our franchise to trade him for such a poor return, unless that's what he wants. I'd rather see him play in that last regular season game at home against the Penguins, and get a proper send off from the fans...

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Also Andy always seem to elevate his game during the playoff. He was really solid in the playoff!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Looks like the flood gates have opened on Anderson, interesting that it all these come out on the exact same day, almost like the team is trying to send a message through the media.

GARRIOCH: Craig Anderson’s role with the Senators is starting to change

Anderson commence à passer le flambeau

https://www.tsn.ca/the-writing-is-on-the-wall-for-craig-anderson-in-ottawa-1.1426808
Or the media saw that after Hogberg played back to back there might be a story here.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I would love to see Anderson get traded to a contender for a chance at a cup.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Or the media saw that after Hogberg played back to back there might be a story here.
99% of the people knew that this was a story going into the season, not sure one specific moment created this. Its really not a big deal, just find it odd that 3 different publications run basically the exact same story, that's all. Is this the only thing to talk about in Sens land? Seems to me like its either lazy journalism, where each guy piggy backed on each other's article, or a message being sent out.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
99% of the people knew that this was a story going into the season, not sure one specific moment created this. Its really not a big deal, just find it odd that 3 different publications run basically the exact same story, that's all. Is this the only thing to talk about in Sens land? Seems to me like its either lazy journalism, where each guy piggy backed on each other's article, or a message being sent out.

I am sure Scanlan's weekly article will be quite similar.

Aren't most publications now pretty much just arms of the same corporate entity? Seeing a ton of crossover articles across across various papers and tv over the past few years.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Anderson coming to Ottawa was a perfect match at the time. He was on his way out in Colorado with acrimony and it seemed his status as a true #1 was still up in the air. Ottawa had suffered through a revolving door of goalies going back to Lalime some six years prior. We got the guy for Brian Elliott of all people.

I don't know if anyone at the time of the trade thought Andy would still be holding down the fort nearly a decade later. The guy brought a goalie carousel to a screeching halt, and gave us stability at an important position at an important time. Best goalie in Senators history, bar none.

It's sad to see his time here winding down, but we've had some great times.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Aren't most publications now pretty much just arms of the same corporate entity? Seeing a ton of crossover articles across across various papers and tv over the past few years.
Ya, but generally written by the same person, no? I remember when I was young where you used to be able to get different perspectives on the team from a bunch of different sources and the stories were all different depending on how wrote it. Now its all the same fluff across all platforms. Even the radio station seems to be talking about the exact same thing.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What is a bigger story than this is the moment Anderson was essentially shown he has been passed by not only Nilsson but the presumed AHL starter. I think you are underestimating the significance.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
What is a bigger story than this is the moment Anderson was essentially shown he has been passed by not only Nilsson but the presumed AHL starter. I think you are underestimating the significance.
This isn't another referendum on the team or ownership or Dorion, its a referendum on how bad the coverage of this team has gotten.

And if you have watched the Sens and Anderson play the past 3 seasons, he was passed the moment Nilsson was acquired. This story could have been written a 100 times by now. IMO, the bigger story is how Daccord has forced them to make this move because he is way too good for the ECHL and is forcing the Sens to move someone quicker than anticipated.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think it was the pregame show but one of the guys who does the NHL.com previews for Ottawa was shocked that Hogberg was starting back to back so much so he wrote the preview saying Andy would get the start

looks like some media guys weren't expecting it

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dude, you really don't need to have your back up here, this isn't another referendum on the team or ownership or Dorion, its a referendum on how bad the coverage of this team has gotten.
I don’t have my back up at all. Just providing a different opinion and trying to see it from the perspective of fans who don’t follow the team religiously like we do. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don’t have my back up at all. Just providing a different opinion and trying to see it from the perspective of fans who don’t follow the team religiously like we do. [mod].
No worries, I deleted that part.

I think that providing the same content across multiple platforms is a waste. If the casual fan wants to read about Anderson, the Mendes article is more than enough. There is plenty more for Garrioch to talk about.

Last edited by a moderator:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

With the way this organization operates and how unbelievably transparent they are it looks like he is on his way out of town. Hopefully they can recoup the 5th they gave away for Reilly.

For his case I hope he ends up on a contender and helps them along the way, he has been great for this organization however its time to move on. He is a classy guy.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I think we have been emotionally ready for this since Andy got here because when we saw him we assumed retirement was close because he was already bald.

Andy’s done great, best goalie Ottawa has ever had.

but no controversy here - we saw Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Ceci and Dzingel get traded - we are numb. We want to lose, starting a rookie who can’t win is exactly what we want. We like Andy but we don’t need to see him get shelled anymore, We’ve had years of watching that. Let the old dog lay on the couch and enjoy his old age.

hope he goes to a contender.

Actually made me LOL

Reactions: TheDebater

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It is always amusing to see people react to news: "they are all talking about this same thing! They must know something is up!! There are no coincidences" :laugh:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Craig Anderson has been great for the team on and off the ice.

He currently sits at 197 wins with Ottawa. I hope we can get him 3 more before he is traded and/or retires. Would be a nice capstone to his Sens career to win 200 games with the franchise.

Reactions: Bileur

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Craig Anderson is a cockroach. Just when you think he's done and the goalie of the future is on the horizon for Ottawa, he proves that he won't die.

I fully believe that Marcus Hogberg and Anders Nilsson will just be more headstones in the long line of sexy Swedish goalies that Craig Andersson lays to rest.

You guys think he will be traded? Go talk to Andrew Hammond and Ben Bishop. What about Matt O'Connor?

Chris Driedger was only able to revive his post-Sens career by going to Florida. Do you think he went to their ECHL affiliate because he felt there might be an open spot in their organization? No. He went there to study the ways of Craig Anderson. Learn how to become a goalie who can never be replaced.

Get ready for Hogberg and Nilsson to stumble and Anderson to sign a 4 year extension and remain with the Ottawa Senators well into his 40's. I fully look forward to a 95 year old Craig Anderson backstopping our 2072-73 Senators while top prospect and future star goalie Anders Lehnersson is traded to the Houston Canadiens for draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad