News Article: 'The worst is behind me': Katz comments on health status, thanks Oilers fans

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
That's awesome news. My opinion of Katz did a complete 180 the day he made that press conference in the condition he was in. Can't say I had Any negative feelings toward him just never thought he bought the team for more then financial gains. That conference proved the exact opposite

Reactions: The Oiler

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
That is great news. I for one was shocked to see him that way and I thought it was the opposite of being sick. But I am glad he is finally doing better. As I always say "You do you". Health is always more important than money. Shows how human Daryl Katz really is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's awesome news. My opinion of Katz did a complete 180 the day he made that press conference in the condition he was in. Can't say I had Any negative feelings toward him just never thought he bought the team for more then financial gains. That conference proved the exact opposite

It really is awesome news although I wouldnt say that my opinion of him changed at all.
It was never personal for me so having compassion around his health issues was automatic. I am very happy to hear that he is recovering.
I truly wish him the best of health moving forward as a fellow human being.

My opinion on him was based entirely on how he ran this organization into the mud with his cronyism and poor judgement.
Thankfully that seems to have (finally after 10+ years) taken a turn for the better.

So for me the mans health and his running of the hockey team are 2 separate issues. I think its possible to be supportive about his health and also be critical of his decision making when it comes to the hockey team.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It really is awesome news although I wouldnt say that my opinion of him changed at all.
It was never personal for me so having compassion around his health issues was automatic. I am very happy to hear that he is recovering.

My opinion on him was based entirely on how he ran this organization into the mud with his cronyism and poor judgement.
Thankfully that seems to have (finally after 10+ years) taken a turn for the better.

So for me the mans health and his running of the hockey team are 2 separate issues. I think its possible to be supportive about his health and also be critical of his decision making when it comes to the hockey team.
How much of that was cause he was fighting a terrible illness?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
It was really big for me to see him acknowledge how bad they messed things up and apologize to the fans, and now show his appreciation and gratitude to the fans.

Glad to see he’s doing better. I think even the people that hated his guts took pause when they saw him at the press conference. There’s hockey and then there’s life and it sucks to see someone struggling with serious health issues even if you don’t love them you have to have some empathy for their situation. He really seems to love the team, so do his kids and I hope they carry the torch someday.

Reactions: Zerotonine

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I don't like the guy and I don't think he's a good person.

As far as the team goes...

"We're all optimistic that the team is close."

???

Reactions: Daryls Nose

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Get 100 percent healthy Daryl, get strong so we don't have to feel guilty about making fun of you again.

Lets get this relationship back on track to a healthy place that we all feel comfortable in. You as a putz, and us reminding you that you are a putz.

But i am glad you are going to make it, i would not wish what you had upon my worst enemies. Thanks for the good news.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Get 100 percent healthy Daryl, get strong so we don't have to feel guilty about making fun of you again.

Lets get this relationship back on track to a healthy place that we all feel comfortable in. You as a putz, and us reminding you that you are a putz.

But i am glad you are going to make it, i would not wish what you had upon my worst enemies. Thanks for the good news.

lol, I immediately thought the bolded too. Back to guilt free Katz bashing!! For as long as the team sucks at least.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
My respect for him grew after he went in front of the press for the Holland hiring. He didn't have to do that and probably a lot of people would've been self conscious about their appearance. Glad to hear he's in a better place health wise.
This. That took huevos.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

I would argue the only issue I had with him was the cronyism. He was willing to spend to the cap, he was willing to hire more coaches/front office staff, he was willing to bury players in the minors, willing to use LTIR to bring in more players. He did everything you would want from an owner except hire the people he knew to do jobs they failed in.

With that said, Chiarelli was the first outside hire and he did the most damage of all to the org.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I would argue the only issue I had with him was the cronyism. He was willing to spend to the cap, he was willing to hire more coaches/front office staff, he was willing to bury players in the minors, willing to use LTIR to bring in more players. He did everything you would want from an owner except hire the people he knew to do jobs they failed in.

With that said, Chiarelli was the first outside hire and he did the most damage of all to the org.

The thing is, Chiarelli is an old boy from the team Canada Olympic management. They all knew each other and ran in the same circles, so i don't know how much of that hire was supposedly from the outside rather than hey Peter is my buddy hes a good guy lets hire him.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
The thing is, Chiarelli is an old boy from the team Canada Olympic management. They all knew each other and ran in the same circles, so i don't know how much of that hire was supposedly from the outside rather than hey Peter is my buddy hes a good guy lets hire him.
That's going to happen in an industry as small as NHL management. Hell, that happens all the time in Oil & Gas in Calgary. I know tons of senior management at other companies simply because we go to the same conferences and run into each other downtown.

To me it seemed like "holy shit, we have a chance to get the guy that built the Stanley Cup-winning Boston Bruins. Let's hop on it."

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

There are some good things for sure but the bad far outweighs the good IMO. The cronyism was hugely destructive to this team and another destructive element was his meddling in hockey Ops.
Telling Renney to play the kids because he wanted to push the fresh young Oilers identity...I am convinced that this helped play a role in Halls sense of entitlement/attitude issues when he was here.
Also meddling in the drafting...set this team back years. All and all Katz caused incalcuable damage with these bad decisions and the fans paid the price for it.
These are examples of areas that a smart owner would leave to qualified hockey people.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Absolutely agree. Having an opinion of another person change based on a medical issue is rather shallow. I’m with you, I feel for him as a fellow human being and wish him well, but it doesn’t change how I feel he’s run this organization.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would assume that having gone through such a difficult time in his life may have changed his outlook on life. Sometimes people forget just how fragile life is. Here's to hoping that his health woes are behind him and that he becomes a better person and owner because of it.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Say what you will about him, but he is at least willing to spend money. I could not even begin to imagine being an Ottawa fan these days.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Say what you will about him, but he is at least willing to spend money. I could not even begin to imagine being an Ottawa fan these days.
And spent a lot of it on guys that aren't with us anymore or even in the league. How's that worked out for us so far? Spending lots of cash is terrific, but if it is not used wisely, and especially in a capped league, it's not a lot of use.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
And spent a lot of it on guys that aren't with us anymore or even in the league. How's that worked out for us so far? Spending lots of cash is terrific, but if it is not used wisely, and especially in a capped league, it's not a lot of use.

I would rather have the option of having and spending the cash than having neither. Didn't say he was good at making decisions.

Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad