The wisdom of crowds

May 23, 2012
There's been a lot made of the Jets and their great and blisteringly loud fans, so i thought to ask if there's a way crowds can get better at "rattling" the road team?

I think a loud crowd doesn't really affect the road team, but a blistering crowd does affect the road team somewhat, even if it just gives extra energy to the home team.

Most of us have been at games where the crowd was really into the game, was as loud as you could imagine, but i've noticed something that happens at these games and that is rooting and screaming like a madman (or woman) is TIRING. Its physical work and there's not an unlimited amount of "noise" in the tank. I've always thought it was silly for the scoreboard operator to flash "make some noise" on the scoreboard during the pregame intros....that's 'wasted noise' that you can't get back, its noise you want to save for the final moments of the game and yet, no team or organization has ever been smart enough to ask their crowd to "save their voices' and not to make a peep until the puck is dropped.

Do you think that crowds could get 'smarter' about how and when they cheer and what and when they chant things and do you think that wall of noise affects the road team, or its just a situation where the home team gets energy and the road team isn't really negatively affected at all?

Ttracer*

I go nuts when my side skates out, that should be the loudest it gets but its not.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Malkin doesn't like the Flyers fans

Not long ago ESPN had a survey where 24% of players surveyed said that the Philadelphia Flyers have the most disruptive fans. Have you ever been, even a little, afraid of Flyers fans?

I agree with the players [who named Flyers fans]. I can't say that I am afraid of them though. Although I do remember one game in Philadelphia last year when we had popcorn thrown to our bench by Flyers' fans, other garbage. Thank god there were no bottles thrown. And their fans also jump on the glass behind the bench, or behind the glass. People don't behave that good there. I have never seen anything like this anywhere. And this survey showed that other players noticed it too. I am surprised by those fans. But I understand that they are just supporting their team.

Do you just see them as being strange? Or do they unsettle you or put you under pressure in any way?

No, they don't put me under pressure. It's just not very nice when there is popcorn thrown on the bench, and it doesn't feel good to go out and play hockey after such things. No pressure, but such things are not enjoyable and are unfounded.

apollo71426

Jan 21, 2010
Instead of chanting a goalies last name, chant their first name. I've always felt like that would be more effective (if it does anything at all).

Or if you wanted to be classless, chant their wives/GFs name.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Jets fans might be loud, but not that smart. They were chanting "Ander-sen!" when they were down in the game, and down 3-0 in the series. :laugh:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Is there really any way to "rattle" the road team? I think you might be right that the home team just gets extra energy, but the road team isn't really negatively affected.

Yes a home team can rattle the road team but home team crowd has more effect on the home team.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm not even sure that the home crowd affects the home players. Remember that these guys grew up playing in front of crowds that numbered WELL below even the worst attended NHL game. If they needed a lot of noise and cheering to get motivated for a game, they wouldn't be in the NHL.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Crowds do not affect either team.

I would agree. Maybe you get a bit of a boost if you have the cheers behind you, but remember these kids have been playing in front of all the crazy hockey parents their whole life. (Not saying all hockey parents are crazy, not even close, but there are enough of them that every single NHL players has had a lot of contact and experience with them as they developed.) Some of the most horrifying behavior is from people who seem perfectly reasonable and kind, except when they are at the rink watching their kids.

Blocking out the crowds is likely one of the most important abilities you need in order to make it to high level hockey.

As bad as some hecklers are (say the always sunny rip off green men in Van,) they really aren't close to some of the asinine hockey moms and dads that all of these kids have seen since they were 5 or 6 years old.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I disagree, I think crowds make a big difference. Hearing massive amounts of cheers for a team must really boost their adrenaline. You can visually see this happening sometimes, the crowds get louder and more excited which can lead to the players getting more into it and the game becoming more physical or chippy.

On the other hand I very much doubt that crowd jeering/insults really affect the players. I can't really see a team getting down about some fans chanting "You suck" or something similar. I doubt being likened to Katy Perry affected Corey Perry one bit.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
I disagree, I think crowds make a big difference. Hearing massive amounts of cheers for a team must really boost their adrenaline. You can visually see this happening sometimes, the crowds get louder and more excited which can lead to the players getting more into it and the game becoming more physical or chippy.

On the other hand I very much doubt that crowd jeering/insults really affect the players. I can't really see a team getting down about some fans chanting "You suck" or something similar. I doubt being likened to Katy Perry affected Corey Perry one bit.

Are you saying boisterous crowds look "visibly better?"

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Jets fans might be loud, but not that smart. They were chanting "Ander-sen!" when they were down in the game, and down 3-0 in the series. :laugh:

Wild fans do this too. To be fair, when you don't have recent playoff histories fans probably just gravitate towards the common things. Chanting opposing goaltenders names has been common for a long time.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

1 goal 2 assists +2 in Winnipeg maybe it made Corey Perry want to show Jets fans :dunno:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Probably boosts the home team slightly. I doubt much, if at all, though. Doubt it affects the road team any.

1 goal 2 assists +2 in Winnipeg maybe it made Corey Perry want to show Jets fans :dunno:

Or he's just Corey Perry and a really good hockey player on a team that beat Winnipeg pretty easily.

Oct 30, 2011
Fans are reactive to what happens on the ice. They usually need a spark to really get going. Of course, playoffs are usually reason enough to get going.

I don't think you can engineer a crowd. It's much more fluid than that.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I'm sorry, but what is the issue with that? Just simply the fact that they were basically 100% out at that point? If so, I wouldn't use that as a knock against the crowd. Instead I'd consider that a good aspect of the Winnipeg crowd - they'll support their team to the bitter end, even when they're out.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

You basically summed up my thoughts exactly. So aspects of the crowd can pump up a team, but aspects don't affect players.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I'm sorry, but what is the issue with that? Just simply the fact that they were basically 100% out at that point? If so, I wouldn't use that as a knock against the crowd. Instead I'd consider that a good aspect of the Winnipeg crowd - they'll support their team to the bitter end, even when they're out.

I never said there was an issue, just said they weren't the brightest bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->