TV: The Wire All Purpose Thread Part 3: World just keeps turning, right?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, I liked Season 2 but a lot of that was that I didn't know a lot about the docks so I found it sort of fascinating.

I go a little bit against the grain in that I think Season 2 is a little underrated and Season 4 is a little overrated.

Ultimately they're all very very good so it's a matter of pretty minimal degrees.

I agree with the general consensus that Season 5 was just off.

Part of it I think was that it got a little too personal for Simon with settling personal scores with former colleagues and his industry. I feel it went a little bit too far into satire and while it was still compelling, it didn't feel like the Wire.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i actually enjoyed season 2 very much

found the whole dock setting quite interesting

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just to be clear, are you guys rewatching in HD? Because. Yeah, it's in HD, and it's incredible. Don't forget to experience it that way.

Comfort Eagle

Feb 28, 2008
Southeastern,MA
I'm about 2-3 episodes deep in season 5. Not loving it so far, but seeing Bubbles clean is great. He may be my favorite character of any TV show ever. Sad that I will be done with the series soon. :cry: May have to watch it again, but figure out how to get it on my TV instead of my computer. Not sure where McNulty is going with the serial killer angle? Kinda messed up when he and Bunk went to the crime scene, and Jimmy is strangling the dead body.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Just to be clear, are you guys rewatching in HD? Because. Yeah, it's in HD, and it's incredible. Don't forget to experience it that way.

I've always shied away from it because I dig the "gritty" documentary-style look of the original version, but I should give it a shot.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I just always re-watch it on HBO GO. Does that mean I'm watching the HD one or the original? I also read Simon's comments about the problems with the HD version.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What comments are you guys referring to?

I've only seen him outright criticize the idea of an HD Wire BEFORE it actually went HD. After it went HD, I've read things about how some shots were improved by it and some shots suffered.

I didn't notice a single issue, though, personally, and I thought it was absolutely gorgeous in HD. I'd go as far as to say that it doubles my enjoyment of it.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
You can use hbo go app and a chromecast for HD. I just finished the show for the first time using that set up.

Great show. I liked season 3 and 1 the best.

And then reading about (in previous thread) and noticing the way Bodie attacks like a pawn in chess while the true muscle in both season 1 and 4 use an L shaped attack like a knight. Just mind blowingly awesome.

Season 5 was bad. Wish they left the serial killer and newspaper out of it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
What comments are you guys referring to?

I've only seen him outright criticize the idea of an HD Wire BEFORE it actually went HD. After it went HD, I've read things about how some shots were improved by it and some shots suffered.

I didn't notice a single issue, though, personally, and I thought it was absolutely gorgeous in HD. I'd go as far as to say that it doubles my enjoyment of it.

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

I think Simon is being super-technical here. I would never notice 95% of the issues or problems he's probably referring to. The Wee-bey and D'Angelo positioning in front of the neon sign is pretty cool though and something I never noticed before. He's not being dismissive of the HD version in any sense but I do think the post makes clear that it's not his preferred experience.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh, I remember that. Yeah, the ideal thing to do definitely would have been to go 4:3 HD.

I actually quite dislike the DVD transfer. I notice more artifacts/visual issues popping than I do for other series.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I read somewhere (Amazon I believe) that the transfer was better to DVD. I'm not remotely technical enough to discern that myself apart from seeing both essentially side-by-side, but that's what I read.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Remember when the Greek said to Vondas "and of course I'm not even Greek"

He could have meant with the fake ids he could be any nationality. But I'm guessing he's either Armenian, Turkish, from Cyprus or he's really Greek. It doesn't even matter really, he's just one thing...kingpin.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah, it isn't supposed to really matter in the end. He is just a major player from across the pond who supplies Baltimore with a large percentage of its heroin.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Just started recently and binged season one and really enjoyed it. I'm hating the first couple eps of season 2. Forget this white trash at the docks, take me back to the hood! Is it worth continuing season 2 or can I jump straight into 3 without missing much?

I started watching because I caught a few episodes of Season 4. If I had watched Season 1 and saw Season 2 as it was airing I would've given up on the whole thing.

I really hate Season 2.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
So is The Greek really Russian?

He's Hungarian. The same as the girls found in the container at the start of S2, who're dismissively noted as being from Mag-Yarr by the cops going through their stuff. That annoyed me. If you took five minutes to figure out where they were from you might have got closer to the people responsible.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
He's Hungarian. The same as the girls found in the container at the start of S2, who're dismissively noted as being from Mag-Yarr by the cops going through their stuff. That annoyed me. If you took five minutes to figure out where they were from you might have got closer to the people responsible.

How do you know he's Hungarian?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It's in there. Somewhere.

A lot more evidence he's not Hungarian. He called the Turk who killed the hookers "compatriot". He also said something about having to forgive the Turks so that's leads me to think maybe Armenian due to Armenian Genocide, Greek itself or Cypriot.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
I am re-watching again

Season 1 ep 3, When D explain the crime faction by teaching Bodie and Wallace about chess is incredible

Season 1 ep 4, when Bunk and McNutty are investigating a past murder in an appartment (the F Word scene) that is also brilliant....

In that episode again when Jimmy realise that Lester is not a chump but real police....

Man i love this show....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->