TV: The Wire All Purpose Thread Part 3: World just keeps turning, right?

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Watch it again. You'll pick up on a lot of things you missed the first time around because you won't be so focused on just remembering who each new character is.

Seasons 1-3 especially are much better the 2nd time around. Like you said you can pay attention to all the little details and pick up on how far back they started different threads and connections

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Definitely a show that requires a re-watch with all the character development. The signs of a vicious circle are more noticeable the second time around. I also had a greater appreciation for how punishing it was for anyone trying to break free from their pre-determined destiny.

I was pretty indifferent to Carver the first time around, but he became my favourite character after a re-watch.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Definitely a show that requires a re-watch with all the character development. The signs of a vicious circle are more noticeable the second time around. I also had a greater appreciation for how punishing it was for anyone trying to break free from their pre-determined destiny.

I was pretty indifferent to Carver the first time around, but he became my favourite character after a re-watch.
I just did a rewatch myself the last couple of weeks and it's been about 10 years since I last watched.

100% Carver was the best of the street level cops. Him and Herc started out together on the same page, and as the show progressed Carver became the type of cop that every officer should aim to be. He actually cared about the people he was assigned to police and treated them with dignity and respect. I give him all the respect in the world for what he tried to do for Randy and I wish he could have fostered him like he wanted.

Herc is a POS and I directly blame him for the death of Sherrod and everything that happened to Bubbles before and after that.

Reactions: discostu and Korg

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
rNlILvS.gif

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
One of my favorite parts of rewatching this show in recent years has been the nostalgia of hearing the music, the rap and hip hop songs that at the time were hip and current, but now ancient and vintage.

a lot of that music i grew up on as a kid in early-mid 00’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaels Arms

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Think I'm now on my 5th time watching it.

Funny the things you forgot that still shock you when they happen, and then you are like oh ya I remember that now.

Brother Mouzone reminds me of Gus from Breaking Bad.

Reactions: Korg

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Yo, yo, String, Poot did have the floor, man.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I've been doing a rewatch the past couple weeks while I wait for the internet to get hooked up at my new place. I'm enjoying it almost as much as the first time I watched it and this isn't my first rewatch. Show just never gets old.

I looked up a few of the actors to see what they've been up to since the show ended and was surprised to find out Prop Joe (Robert Chew) died back in 2013. I may have heard about this back at the time but if so I completely forgot. Of course, Omar is gone now too unfortunately.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Think I'm now on my 5th time watching it.

Funny the things you forgot that still shock you when they happen, and then you are like oh ya I remember that now.

Brother Mouzone reminds me of Gus from Breaking Bad.

I loved his long-suffering assistant who would buy the wrong magazines.

For a guy who was in what, 3 episodes total? Mouzone left quite a footprint.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I've been doing a rewatch the past couple weeks while I wait for the internet to get hooked up at my new place. I'm enjoying it almost as much as the first time I watched it and this isn't my first rewatch. Show just never gets old.

I looked up a few of the actors to see what they've been up to since the show ended and was surprised to find out Prop Joe (Robert Chew) died back in 2013. I may have heard about this back at the time but if so I completely forgot. Of course, Omar is gone now too unfortunately.

Prop Joe using all these different voices when calling the cops is too good.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

If you've ever watched Bosch, a ton of The Wire alum end up on that. It's no Wire (nothing is), but still a very entertaining show.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
If you've ever watched Bosch, a ton of The Wire alum end up on that. It's no Wire (nothing is), but still a very entertaining show.
Funny you mention that, I just found out the other day that Jamie Hector (Marlo) is one of the main stars of Bosch. Definitely a show I'm interested in watching. I've liked Titus Welliver's work in the past in Deadwood and Gone Baby Gone as well.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Funny you mention that, I just found out the other day that Jamie Hector (Marlo) is one of the main stars of Bosch. Definitely a show I'm interested in watching. I've liked Titus Welliver's work in the past in Deadwood and Gone Baby Gone as well.
Lance Reddick is a major role too, plus you see side characters splattered throughout. I'd really recommend it if you like detective mystery type stuff. Oh, and I absolutely love Gone Baby Gone, I hope you know the writer of that book (Dennis Lehane) was also a staff writer for the Wire. Overmyer who is the show runner for Bosch was also a staff writer for The Wire. Very different show, but very well done.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Lance Reddick is a major role too, plus you see side characters splattered throughout. I'd really recommend it if you like detective mystery type stuff. Oh, and I absolutely love Gone Baby Gone, I hope you know the writer of that book (Dennis Lehane) was also a staff writer for the Wire. Overmyer who is the show runner for Bosch was also a staff writer for The Wire. Very different show, but very well done.
I did know that about Lehane. I've never actually read any of his books but I loved Gone Baby Gone, really liked Mystic River and kind of liked Shutter Island as films. I wasn't aware of the Overmyer connection or Reddick having a major role. Definitely going to check it out.

Another show with a Wire connection that I've always wanted to watch but haven't got around to it is Luther. I've heard it's a really good detective show as well.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Might have to start a re-watch now that I've seen this thread bumped. Just a tremendous narrative and arc. Reminds me of a good series overseas in the sense they told the story they wanted to tell and got out. Season 4 remains the most brilliant and gutting season of television I've ever seen.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Might have to start a re-watch now that I've seen this thread bumped. Just a tremendous narrative and arc. Reminds me of a good series overseas in the sense they told the story they wanted to tell and got out. Season 4 remains the most brilliant and gutting season of television I've ever seen.

Agreed. Season 4 is where this vaulted itself into transcendental GOAT territory.

Does anyone watch Empire? I just saw that Wood Harris was in it for two seasons and he was probably my favorite actor to come out of this show.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I did know that about Lehane. I've never actually read any of his books but I loved Gone Baby Gone, really liked Mystic River and kind of liked Shutter Island as films. I wasn't aware of the Overmyer connection or Reddick having a major role. Definitely going to check it out.

Another show with a Wire connection that I've always wanted to watch but haven't got around to it is Luther. I've heard it's a really good detective show as well.
Watch Luther. It’s fun.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
So I am re-watching it, and am at the end of S4. Knowing what's coming makes the ending of Bodie's story even more gutting. The scene where Slim Charles puts up his window and drives away is such a brilliant bit of directing when you see it again. S5 is a bit of a mess - it strains credulity too much - but Bubbles getting clean and Kima going to Daniels to stop McNulty and Freamon helps salvage it by giving those characters some important defining moments.

Last edited:
Reactions: Comfort Eagle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad