TV: The Wire All Purpose Thread Part 3: World just keeps turning, right?

Sep 19, 2008
It's still early but they might reunite the cast and rumors are it will be centered around the police. Would be nice to see David Simon make another Baltimore show.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just finished my first re-watch, it's been so many years since I last saw this series, had the chance to watch it on prime so I thought what the heck. Wow did I forget so much but as it went on I started to remember most of it but man what a great f***ing show, just everything about it.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I was about halfway through season 4 of my first re-watch a couple of weeks ago when all of a sudden all of the HBO shows were no longer free to watch on Prime. TV wise that's all Prime video had worth watching :thumbd:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was about halfway through season 4 of my first re-watch a couple of weeks ago when all of a sudden all of the HBO shows were no longer free to watch on Prime. TV wise that's all Prime video had worth watching :thumbd:
Amazon prime definitely has a lack of quality shows to say the least. Pretty weak selection of movies too. Netflix is better but not what it once was. Over half the shows and movies I want to watch now can't be found on Netflix. I don't how anyone can live without an android box and the streaming apps they have.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
It's still early but they might reunite the cast and rumors are it will be centered around the police. Would be nice to see David Simon make another Baltimore show.

Apparently Simon clarified that it's going to be a show focused on Baltimore PD, but it's not a Wire sequel and will have different actors.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
just finished my first re-watch, it's been so many years since I last saw this series, had the chance to watch it on prime so I thought what the heck. Wow did I forget so much but as it went on I started to remember most of it but man what a great f***ing show, just everything about it.
I was thinking about doing the same.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Had no idea Randy was supposed to be Cheese's son. It wasn't in the show but David Simon confirmed it, citing they didn't have the time in s5 to develop the storyline.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Had no idea Randy was supposed to be Cheese's son. It wasn't in the show but David Simon confirmed it, citing they didn't have the time in s5 to develop the storyline.
Wasn’t his last name Wagstaff like Cheese’s? That was like the only hint we did get in the show.

Reactions: NyQuil

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Just started a re-watch along with listening to podcast episode by episode.

Episode 2 was so great. The McNuggets scene, McNulty and Bunk at the low rises and then with talking D'Angelo into writing that letter.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Just started a re-watch along with listening to podcast episode by episode.

Episode 2 was so great. The McNuggets scene, McNulty and Bunk at the low rises and then with talking D'Angelo into writing that letter.

I recently completed a third viewing and one of the things that stood out was how much is going on right out of the gate. My first couple of times I considered the first half dozen episodes or so to be kind of slow, but they were anything but.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I recently completed a third viewing and one of the things that stood out was how much is going on right out of the gate. My first couple of times I considered the first half dozen episodes or so to be kind of slow, but they were anything but.

That's funny, because I remember the feeling of being absolutely overwhelmed and I think it was by design.

As your average white middle-class type person, I may as well have been on Mars.

It was only near the end of the season that you really start to get a handle on all of the characters, the nicknames, how things work.

I know a few people who gave up on the series before they reached a point of understanding. It's not the kind of show you can watch while doing something else.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
That's funny, because I remember the feeling of being absolutely overwhelmed and I think it was by design.

As your average white middle-class type person, I may as well have been on Mars.

It was only near the end of the season that you really start to get a handle on all of the characters, the nicknames, how things work.

I know a few people who gave up on the series before they reached a point of understanding. It's not the kind of show you can watch while doing something else.

You know, you may be on to something there. What I initially thought of as "slow" may have just been difficulty deciphering what was going on.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The podcast I started listening to said the same thing. She said the first time through, she thought the first episode was slow. But the 2nd time through, knowing what's coming, there were moments of, "Ohhhhhhh".

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

It seems odd that he would take his estranged father's last name, but perhaps I just don't understand the finer points of child illegitimacy.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
When I first finished watching I went straight back to the beginning and watched it all again. I think it took me about six episodes to realise Snoop was female.
:laugh: Me too. My wife liked the scene where she was buying the nail gun, and I don't think I understood a single word she was saying.

Been going through the series again lately. Forgot how Dominick West totally owned this series, and how many actors really hit their peak on it. Lance Reddick is going to make bank playing a police commander for the rest of his life. Seth Gilliam is always going to be a f***-up. I really didn't like how much Pryzbylewski became an integral character after becoming a teacher. Could've really done without the school scenes.

I still think Idris Elba would be a good James Bond. There are very few people who can carry themselves like that and have the necessary gravitas to pull it off...Stringer Bell with a posh accent could do it imho.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think Idris works best as a villain. Confuse the audience with his charisma and looks like in the Wire. I couldn’t help but root for the guy even though he was a ruthless and selfish POS. Made for some intense scenes and conflicted emotions and essentially good TV.

Reactions: discostu

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really didn't like how much Pryzbylewski became an integral character after becoming a teacher. Could've really done without the school scenes.

It was a bit convenient from a narrative point of view to have him as the "teacher" character, but the setting was vital from the perspective of demonstrating the interactions of the education system with the drug trade and other elements of the show.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It was a bit convenient from a narrative point of view to have him as the "teacher" character, but the setting was vital from the perspective of demonstrating the interactions of the education system with the drug trade and other elements of the show.

Yeah, I liked his teacher scenes. I liked seeing the transition from him as cop to teacher and the general statement of that.
Specifically,that as a cop that completely failed out of his profession,that he was still highly welcomed as a teacher.

It shows how messed up the teaching profession is in that environment (which was jarring as a Canadian,where the profession is decently compensated up here and highly sought after),:as well as showing hiw low the stakes are for cops who screw up, where there's still viable career options for them.

In terms of the convenience of Pryz being the teacher to characters who become key to the central story, it's relatively minor in my eyes.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Now having watched it three times I think Wood Harris' performance throughout the series is the best one and by a significant margin. Harris dominates every scene he is in, even when it's just him and Stringer.

Two of Harris/Barksdale's scenes stand out to me. One is the scene where Stringer is in the safehouse and tries to force Slim to do a hit on Clay Davis. As their conversation starts the camera cuts to a view behind Avon who is in the shadows just watching their conversation and not saying anything. Then he walks out and hits the brakes on Stringer's plan. "What'd I tell you about them away games?"

The other one is when Avon goes to the hospital with DeAngelo to see his uncle. "How you ain't never gonna be slow? How you ain't never gonna be late?"

Reactions: Amerika

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The other one is when Avon goes to the hospital with DeAngelo to see his uncle. "How you ain't never gonna be slow? How you ain't never gonna be late?"
"Yeah, it scares me."

One of the most humanizing moments for a single character in the show and a great encapsulation of the game and those who are caught up in it. Knowing you are one step away from death but unable to break out of it, so you just accept it and keep going.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Now having watched it three times I think Wood Harris' performance throughout the series is the best one and by a significant margin. Harris dominates every scene he is in, even when it's just him and Stringer.

Two of Harris/Barksdale's scenes stand out to me. One is the scene where Stringer is in the safehouse and tries to force Slim to do a hit on Clay Davis. As their conversation starts the camera cuts to a view behind Avon who is in the shadows just watching their conversation and not saying anything. Then he walks out and hits the brakes on Stringer's plan. "What'd I tell you about them away games?"

Agreed.

He was so good that I didn't even realize he played Julius in Remember the Titans until my second watch through. That's how much he was the character

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Seth Gilliam is always going to be a f***-up. I really didn't like how much Pryzbylewski became an integral character after becoming a teacher. Could've really done without the school scenes.
I think the school scenes are great and I love Prez' character arc. Gilliam's character arc was great too. Went from being a f*** up to being as Bunk would say "good police". Herc on the other hand remained an idiot throughout the series.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
My cousin has been telling me to watch this for years, it took me until 2021 to finally get around to it!

I just finished the series and wow, this show covered it all, the drug problem, the economics, the politics involved both in the drug trade and in the government, the failing education system and finally the media who's only priority is the "big story" which they fail to recognize is right under their nose.

My favorite character by far is Omar who kept everyone honest, I liked Bodie too.

I'm a little depressed now I just finished one of the best series in television, I don't know what to do with myself now :(.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad