The Winnipeg Jets WHA dynasty: How would they have done in the NHL?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
There is no doubt that most WHA third and fourth(?)-liners, as well as defencemen in general (particularly bottom 4), were not at NHL-caliber. The WHA was more of an entertainment league (what a concept!), where high-end talent, on full display, would excite fans.

I predict that, in the near future, a rival league will challenge the NHL by actually allowing high-end talent to flourish instead of grinding it into oblivion with systems, short-shifts, and no-risk hockey.

giphy.gif

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Supporters of the NFL had the same attitude toward the AFL before those leagues merged. It's easy to write off the talent of the Winnipeg Jets during the WHA for those who only followed the NHL at that time. Let's not forget that Gordie Howe at age 51 scored 15 goals and 26 assists during Hartford's first season in the NHL. That's right, at 51 years of age he had 41 points in the NHL playing against teams like Montreal, Boston, etc. Let's also not forget that the Jets were basically stripped of all their players when the team joined the NHL in 1979 and yet it only took a few seasons to become a very competitive team. Had the team been left intact and joined the NHL in an earlier merger attempt in 1977 I'm sure that history would have shown the team to be much better than given credit for on this board. During the 70's there were several WHA - NHL exhibition games played with the WHA teams winning the majority of them with a 34-22-7 record.

RedWingsMan1951

Aug 4, 2016
Ontario & Hope BC
The WHA did have some players that didn't belong in PRO Hockey but so did the NHL at that time, I mean the WHA and NHL went head to head and the NHL even picked the Match-Ups and the WHA Won 2 out of 3 Games and had a Winning Record against the NHL so the WHA wasn't AS bad as some think. BUT NO WHA team was a s deep as the Montreal Canadiens and Montreal would have beaten the JETS and AREOS for sure. It was better for PRO Hockey that the 2 Leagues Merged!!!

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The WHA did have some players that didn't belong in PRO Hockey but so did the NHL at that time, I mean the WHA and NHL went head to head and the NHL even picked the Match-Ups and the WHA Won 2 out of 3 Games and had a Winning Record against the NHL so the WHA wasn't AS bad as some think. BUT NO WHA team was a s deep as the Montreal Canadiens and Montreal would have beaten the JETS and AREOS for sure. It was better for PRO Hockey that the 2 Leagues Merged!!!

Unfortunately we'll never know how well the Jets (or Aeros) would have competed against the Canadiens. I'm sure the games would have been very entertaining. Both the Jets and Canadiens played a fast skating type of game and likely would have preferred facing off against a team similar to their own rather than the goon squads prevalent in the 1970s like Birmingham and Philadelphia. Bobby Hull did say that the Jets issued a challenge to the Canadiens following both teams respective championships in 1976 but it went unanswered.

ceeray

Oct 10, 2012
my understanding is that those teams were billed as the CCCP all-stars which the Jets also played however the team the Jets played and beat in 1978 were the first team billed as the actual Soviet National team and was the same that had played at the Izvestia tournament,

in this clip the Jets lose 3-2 to the C
CCP allstars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvHxMnjy9tM

http://www.angelfire.com/space/u_line/wha7778.htm

either way the fact that good WHA teams could hang with these teams means the WHA could play the NHL at the highest levels, the bottom teams however would have struggled.IMO

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Gordie Howe believed the Houston Aeros would have been a top 6 team in the NHL when he played for them. I would say the Winnipeg Jets would likely have been in that range as well. Some people will always underestimate how good the Jets were during that period. It's interesting to note that Scotty Bowman thought highly of the talent of the Jets and was very impressed by the Hedberg, Hull and Nilsson line. The style of play that Hedberg and Nilsson brought with them from Sweden meshed perfectly with Hull. They really revolutionized the way the game was played and was the model that Glen Sather would later use for the Edmonton Oilers when they joined the NHL.

It's too bad the NHL-WHA merger didn't occur in 1977 keeping the Jets intact as they were at the time. That would have been the only way we could actually see how well they would have stacked up against teams of the senior league. The best reference point we have is from players in the league who went on to have successful NHL careers but also had the opportunity to play against the Hedberg, Hull and Nilsson line while in the WHA. From what I've read it was very difficult to play against them due to their style of play along with their speed. Even the players who hacked and whacked at them were impressed with their toughness. Montreal Canadiens GM Sam Pollock was so impressed with defenceman Lars-Erik Sjoberg that he flew into Winnipeg at the time to offer him a contract to play for the Habs believing he would be in the top 3 defence on their team.

I'm fortunate to have had the opportunity to see them in person many times during that period including the exhibition games against NHL teams as well as the final game the Hot Line would play together when they won the Avco Cup against the New England Whalers in 1978. It was a great time to be a fan in Winnipeg.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Gordie Howe believed the Houston Aeros would have been a top 6 team in the NHL when he played for them. I would say the Winnipeg Jets would likely have been in that range as well. Some people will always underestimate how good the Jets were during that period. It's interesting to note that Scotty Bowman thought highly of the talent of the Jets and was very impressed by the Hedberg, Hull and Nilsson line. The style of play that Hedberg and Nilsson brought with them from Sweden meshed perfectly with Hull. They really revolutionized the way the game was played and was the model that Glen Sather would later use for the Edmonton Oilers when they joined the NHL.

It's too bad the NHL-WHA merger didn't occur in 1977 keeping the Jets intact as they were at the time. That would have been the only way we could actually see how well they would have stacked up against teams of the senior league. The best reference point we have is from players in the league who went on to have successful NHL careers but also had the opportunity to play against the Hedberg, Hull and Nilsson line while in the WHA. From what I've read it was very difficult to play against them due to their style of play along with their speed. Even the players who hacked and whacked at them were impressed with their toughness. Montreal Canadiens GM Sam Pollock was so impressed with defenceman Lars-Erik Sjoberg that he flew into Winnipeg at the time to offer him a contract to play for the Habs believing he would be in the top 3 defence on their team.

I'm fortunate to have had the opportunity to see them in person many times during that period including the exhibition games against NHL teams as well as the final game the Hot Line would play together when they won the Avco Cup against the New England Whalers in 1978. It was a great time to be a fan in Winnipeg.

I worked at Minnesota Fighting Saints games, and they were entertaining, but I'm going to put four teams above them who were a notch above and who I think would have competed well with the second-five best NHL teams, and occasionally with the top-five: Winnipeg and Houston, as mentioned in posts above, but also Quebec and New England. Other WHA teams were credible in terms of talent, and beat NHL teams in exhibition games more often than NHL teams beat them. It was a fun league, but with more talent than people give them credit for.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I worked at Minnesota Fighting Saints games, and they were entertaining, but I'm going to put four teams above them who were a notch above and who I think would have competed well with the second-five best NHL teams, and occasionally with the top-five: Winnipeg and Houston, as mentioned in posts above, but also Quebec and New England. Other WHA teams were credible in terms of talent, and beat NHL teams in exhibition games more often than NHL teams beat them. It was a fun league, but with more talent than people give them credit for.

It would have been interesting to see a game between the Fighting Saints and the North Stars. Another interesting matchup would have been a game between the Birmingham Bulls and Philadelphia Flyers as they were both the roughest team in their respective league.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
In 1979-80, 4 of the top 10 scorers in the NHL were from the WHA.

Coming from just 6 teams! Just saying.

The WHA in its final three years was generally on par with the NHL.

Remember, the NHL was also being watered down by lesser players because of expanding from 12 to 18 teams in the 1970s.

Last edited:

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Heh. Small, skilled Mike Rogers' career picked up when the merger happened. He hit 100 points three times in the NHL, but never in the WHA.

It's not about leagues. Changes in ice time and team roles can do wonders for a player.

Reactions: Digital Kid

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
The Hot line with Kent nilsson and Sjöberg. very stacked team Jets had when they won the Avco cup during clory days. i have thinking that how this team would have had succes in the NHL during the 1976-79 lets say. could they have been at least contender or even stanley cup winner?.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The Hot line with Kent nilsson and Sjöberg. very stacked team Jets had when they won the Avco cup during clory days. i have thinking that how this team would have had succes in the NHL during the 1976-79 lets say. could they have been at least contender or even stanley cup winner?.

Moved to an existing thread from last year dedicated to the same question.

Reactions: Talisman

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
There is considerable debate regarding the Winnipeg Jets circa 1975-79. There are many people who claim they were one of the top three teams in the world, and could have rivalled the Montreal Canadiens and Soviet Red Army. I wanted to get a perspective of this issue from hockey fans outside of Manitoba, especially who were alive to witness this period of hockey.

There is also debate on who was the first NHL club to defeat the "Red Army" of the former Soviet Union. Some are saying it was the Philadelphia Flyers of the NHL, while others say that team was completely different from the Soviet National team, and the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA were the first team to defeat them in 1978.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
So hard to say. The defense in the WHA was the league's weakest point, which may have hurt the Jets in the NHL. However, the Jets would be able to run and gun with the best in the NHL. They would make the playoffs, and if Daley stood on his head they may have even made the top four on the strength of Hull, Hedberg and Nielson.

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
If the 77-78 Jets had been allowed to enter the NHL as is, they would've been one of the better teams that season, given that it was their strongest lineup:

Forwards - Top 4 would rival that of the best teams that year
Hull-Nilsson-Hedberg - Hull's last big year, last year before Nilsson-Hedberg jump to Rags
21-year old rookie Kent Nilsson
Willy Lindstrom, Peter Sullivan, Dan Labraaten - strong enough 2nd/3rd liners against 2/3 of the NHL at the time
Bill Lesuk had 5 years & Dave Kryskow had 3 in the NHL as 3rd liners/utility forwards before joining the Jets
Lynn Powis & Bob Guindon had put up decent stats in the WHA
Lyle Moffat was an okay checking forward

Defence
Sjoberg, Eriksson, Green, Barry Long, Dave Dunn - decent enough top 5, rounded off by tough guy Kim Clackson - probably as good as at least half the D corps in the NHL at the time

Goaltenders
Joe Daley, Gary Bromley - middle pack NHL guys for the time, both had experience as NHL starters
Markus Mattsson - never really adjusted well to the NA game, not an NHL capable starter

The Jets with this lineup wouldn't have cracked the top 5, as the Habs, Bruins, Islanders, Flyers & Sabres were all clearly stronger. But I can see them doing better than the scoring-challenged Hawks & the top heavy, drama queen Leafs that year.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
A top 5 list of players who were the best players in the WHA

.Wayne Gretzky
Bobby Hull
Gordie
Lacroix
Nilsson/Hedberg

JS Sidhu

Mar 3, 2019
There is considerable debate regarding the Winnipeg Jets circa 1975-79. There are many people who claim they were one of the top three teams in the world, and could have rivalled the Montreal Canadiens and Soviet Red Army. I wanted to get a perspective of this issue from hockey fans outside of Manitoba, especially who were alive to witness this period of hockey.

There is also debate on who was the first NHL club to defeat the "Red Army" of the former Soviet Union. Some are saying it was the Philadelphia Flyers of the NHL, while others say that team was completely different from the Soviet National team, and the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA were the first team to defeat them in 1978.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

ON any given day Jets would have beaten any team and vice versa ..beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Yes! Flyers 'beat' the Soviets and didn't play hockey at all. I have never been more embarrassed of being Canadian before that game or after that game. It was HACKEY not hockey. Flyers were laying lumber and I was like why don't the Soviets just say hell with it before someone gets killed. The first club team to beat soviets with skill WAS the Jets.

Reactions: johan f

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Yes! Flyers 'beat' the Soviets and didn't play hockey at all. I have never been more embarrassed of being Canadian before that game or after that game. It was HACKEY not hockey. Flyers were laying lumber and I was like why don't the Soviets just say hell with it before someone gets killed. The first club team to beat soviets with skill WAS the Jets.

Good to read your dignity and putting aside "winning at all costs attitude"... Although the Flyers are a american team, the players were from Canada so i understand you...

It's like me when Portugal won Euro 2016 in Soccer, playing some of the worst football i saw, not winning a single game in the group stage despiste being in the easiest group on the tournament, and winning 1 game in 90 minutes without extra time the entire tournament...

Last edited:

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
The Winnipeg Jets were one of the most influencial teams ever, they combined European and North American styles, Glen Sather thanked them when the Oilers won the 1st Stanley Cup because the Jets were there inspiration for the way the Oilers builded their team. The Jets were also the first team to beat the Soviets, and the coach Boris Kulagin said that the game of the Jets was played faster than the Montreal Canadiens.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad