The whole criticism thing about Matthews not getting 30 assists and 70 points

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe I have been reading the main boards too much but can anyone tell me why fans of other teams seem to give Matthews criticism for not being able to get at least 30 assists and 70 points. In his rookie season Matthews finished with 29 assists and 69 points. Oh god the horror at all that even though he scored 40 goals as a rookie. This season Patrik Laine who got 70 points on the number only managed 26 assists and in his rookie season he managed 28 assists. Now I'm sure all his fans will mention him scoring 44 goals this season, however why does no one else not bring up him not getting 30 assists like Matthews? Isn't that being hypocritical towards Matthews?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Who is criticizing him? I mean the other winger on his line is Hyman and on the PP he used to play with studs like Komarov and Brown on a consistent basis. Even Willy is not a great goal scorer yet, so is any wonder why he does not have a lot of assists?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who is criticizing him? I mean the other winger on his line is Hyman and on the PP he used to play with studs like Komarov and Brown on a consistent basis.
I have seen non Leafs fans on the main boards say how Matthews has not yet got 30 assists or reached 70 points. Those are the people who are criticizing him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well, they don't watch a lot of Leafs games like we do.
Believe me I agree with you about that and in general they have no idea what they are talking about.

For me it's more of well if Matthews is going to get criticism for not getting 30 assists, shouldn't Laine get the same since he has not as well? I mean they are always compared by fans of other teams being the 1st and 2nd picks in 2016.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Babcock uses three balanced scoring lines for better or worse which may effect Matthews stats. JVR didn't play with Matthews and he scored 36 goal as a Bozak winger. Kadri the so called 3rd line centre had 31 goals.

Folks that don't actually watch different teams play are so obsessed with the naming of lines as # 1, 2, 3 that they really don't appreciate a players play or his opportunities to be a top scorer. And of course goals and assists are not always an indication of a players value, which is sometimes lost on the misinformed.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Who cares? The people on main boards look to say anything to elicit a response.

Folks that don't actually watch different teams play are so obsessed with the naming of lines as # 1, 2, 3 that they really don't appreciate a players play or his opportunities to be a top scorer. And of course goals and assists are not always an indication of a players value, which is sometimes lost on the misinformed.
You two are both right. In the end I guess I need to live with that Leafs players will get judged unfairly by fans of other teams. When trying to defend Matthews and not that he needs it, if we mention how he had a 40 goal rookie season, those people say he can't get at least 30 assists. As I said before Laine has not yet reached 30 assists in his first 2 seasons, however everyone seemed to celebrate him scoring 44 goals this season and didn't care about his assist totals not reaching at least 30.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You two are both right. In the end I guess I need to live with that Leafs players will get judged unfairly by fans of other teams. When trying to defend Matthews and not that he needs it, if we mention how he had a 40 goal rookie season, those people say he can't get at least 30 assists. As I said before Laine has not yet reached 30 assists in his first 2 seasons, however everyone seemed to celebrate him scoring 44 goals this season and didn't care about his assist totals not reaching at least 30.

They're baiting you and you're chomping down.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Haha the f***ing main boards. Why any leaf fan bothers to go there is beyond me. It’s a un-moderated section for slagging off the leafs, op post shows it they have stopped to complaining about 1 point in Matthews rookie season. I mean there is a guy who patrols there who used to be a leaf fan who turned into a leaf troll apparently because he threw a tantrum when we hired shanny tells you all you need to know about the caliber of posters there.

Then you have the church of laine day Saints worshipping him for eating his cereal with a spoon

Why bother even clicking there

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Depends who you compare Matthews to statistically I suppose by comparing points and assists and rookie seasons.

Case in point

2017 - Calder Trophy winner Auston Matthews .. 82 games 40-29-69 points.
2018 - Calder Trophy winner Mathew Barzal ...... 82 games 22-63-85 points.

Matthews has played 144 NHL regular season games and recorded 58 assists which might not be all that impressive but his 74 goals in those same games is awesome comparatively speaking.

Awesome Auston is not seen as playmaker as that is not his style, as he will be viewed as a sniper first and foremost and a betting person would take their chances that AM will be among Rocket Richard Trophy candidates annually. It would not be surprising if this trend continues and AM goals > assist totals in any season.

PS. Its harder to score a goal than set up someone else to score one to improve your points totals, so criticizing assist totals is ignoring the more important asset of goal scoring ability. ;)

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Matthews is an elite #1 C

People complain on the main board because you got some fans forcing him into discussions with McDavid.

I see Matthews in the mold of Tavares sort of level but more consistent and possibly better

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews is an elite #1 C

People complain on the main board because you got some fans forcing him into discussions with McDavid.

I see Matthews in the mold of Tavares sort of level but more consistent and possibly better
I remember some Oilers fans on the main board once went crazy when I mentioned how someone from TSN compared Matthews rookie season to McDavid's rookie season and you think the world was going to end. It got so bad that it was wrong for someone to compare the rookie seasons of the previous players selected 1st overall in 2015 and 2016, oh god the horror of that.

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
I remember some Oilers fans on the main board once went crazy when I mentioned how someone from TSN compared Matthews rookie season to McDavid's rookie season and you think the world was going to end. It got so bad that it was wrong for someone to compare the rookie seasons of the previous players selected 1st overall in 2015 and 2016, oh god the horror of that.

Even still McDavid's rookie season although cut short was amazing.

40 goals is 40 goals but Matthews needs some more assists if he wants people to take the comparison seriously

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Depends who you compare Matthews to statistically I suppose by comparing points and assists and rookie seasons.

Case in point

Matthews has played 144 NHL regular season games and recorded 58 assists which might not be all that impressive but his 74 goals in those same games is awesome comparatively speaking.

Awesome Auston is not seen as playmaker as that is not his style, as he will be viewed as a sniper first and foremost and a betting person would take their chances that AM will be among Rocket Richard Trophy candidates annually. It would not be surprising if this trend continues and AM goals > assist totals in any season.

PS. Its harder to score a goal than set up someone else to score one to improve your points totals, so criticizing assist totals is ignoring the more important asset of goal scoring ability. ;)
So how come so far Patrik Laine gets a free pass due to his lack of assists? We all know how everyone else loves comparing Matthews to him, still as I mentioned before in his first 2 seasons he registered 26 and 28 assists. However this year when he was on his goal scoring streak everyone else was amazed at his pace, yet we bring up Matthews 40 goal rookie season we are told he didn't get 30 assists or break 70 points, even though he finished with 29 assists and 69 points.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Case in point

I'm both amazed and annoyed that you can manage to bring up Barzal in every post.

I'm still not 100% convinced you wouldn't trade Matthews for Barzal. :laugh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even still McDavid's rookie season although cut short was amazing.

40 goals is 40 goals but Matthews needs some more assists if he wants people to take the comparison seriously
I'm not saying McDavid's rookie season was not good despite his injury. I was just saying that some Oilers fans on here went crazy when someone from TSN just compared McDavid's rookie season to Matthews rookie season and I happened to mention it in some poll someone asked on the main boards about them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm both amazed and annoyed that you can manage to bring up Barzal in every post.

I'm still not 100% convinced you wouldn't trade Matthews for Barzal. :laugh:

Goal scorers >> playmakers

I wouldn't trade Auston Matthews for 3 X Matty Barzal's, as AM is awesome but there are weaknesses in his game and assists are not his forte nor is physical contact.

In time I expect Matthews to round out his game more to include more playmaking abilities and more engaging physically as he matures and get stronger.

At this point Matthews assist totals could be criticized because if you want him to be a near 100 point player his assists have to come up to make a +50 goal and +45 assist type player in time.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Haha the ****ing main boards. Why any leaf fan bothers to go there is beyond me. It’s a un-moderated section for slagging off the leafs, op post shows it they have stopped to complaining about 1 point in Matthews rookie season. I mean pthere is a guy who patrols there who used to be a leaf fan who turned into a leaf troll apparently because he threw a tantrum when we hired shanny tells you all you need to know about the caliber of posters there.

Then you have the church of laine day Saints worshipping him for eating his cereal with a spoon

Why bother even clicking there
. The poster you are referring to was band from this forum. So only way you can see his opinion about the Leafs is to go to main board and read it. I have not seen a post of his since he was band.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
There is actually only one loser that ever brings this up, but I feel posters laugh more at him than with him, so it's all gravy.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-toronto-maple-leafs-1.1108034

The first overall pick in the 2106 Draft, Auston Matthews ran into some injury problems in his second season, but he’s still scored 61 even-strength goals in his first two NHL seasons; that’s tied with Connor McDavid for the most even-strength goals in the past two seasons (and Matthews has played 20 fewer games).

When you have more than a 1 line team, and you play your kids on the 2nd. PP unit things can be different.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I laugh when I hear people say Marnerc and Matthews "Have no even hit 70 points". Come on, if they got that 1 more point, does that suddebly put them into another category?
Marner had no business getting 69 points with that terrible TOI Babcock gave him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad