The Weiss Thread

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Weiss is a bit snake bit. He consistently gives his linemates great setups, they just aren't finishing. Plus he's been on about 10 different line combos since the season started.

Eventually Weiss is going to break through point wise. He is playing much better than he was a couple weeks back.

Beware small sample sizes.

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
Weiss is a bit snake bit. He consistently gives his linemates great setups, they just aren't finishing. Plus he's been on about 10 different line combos since the season started.

Eventually Weiss is going to break through point wise. He is playing much better than he was a couple weeks back.

Beware small sample sizes.

I agree. We should have known this was coming with Weiss but everybody overlooked the fact that he has not played "good hockey" in over a year. That injury has been bothering him and it took him time to get back up to game speed, which I think he's at right now.

He's set up Cleary on a few good opportunities that Danny boy just couldn't bury or get off his stick. It will come with time. I'm thinking that if the Red Wings make a deep playoff run that Weiss is going to be a big reason why because he's the type of player that the good teams all have.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Weiss has looked much better as of late. I have been one of the biggest defenders of this signing because I really believe he is going to be a better player for us that Flip was.

I really can't fault him too much for his point production because not only is he coming back from an injury, but a lot of his IT has been spent playing with pylons like Cleary and Franzen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Funny how Filppula still gets those lucky goals. Tried to pass, it bounced in from Shattenkirk's skate. He still won't shoot the puck.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Weiss has looked much better as of late. I have been one of the biggest defenders of this signing because I really believe he is going to be a better player for us that Flip was.

I really can't fault him too much for his point production because not only is he coming back from an injury, but a lot of his IT has been spent playing with pylons like Cleary and Franzen.

I've been a little down on Weiss but he does look better the last 3 games. Playing with Daniel is not good for a top player, it's like playing short handed

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Weiss has actually looked dangerous at times in the past 2 games. He'll be producing shortly, I'm thinking. I still only expect him to reach around 40 points this season.

As for the Weiss v. Filppula discussion, why does Flip's production mean he's some sort of god while Hudler's being T-7th in NHL scoring is being scoffed at?

nickyno72

Mar 27, 2013
Even if Weiss can't match Val's production, which I think he can do at least 3 out of the 5 years in their contracts, he's still a better player. I would rather have him score 5-10 less points than Val, and know that he's a responsible center who can kill PKs and score at a respectable rate. With the Wings Val had to be "babysat" on a line by 40 or 13 it seemed. I would much rather have Weiss have a line to himself and Hank and Pasha playing together. Once Tatar gets promoted full time to the second line Weiss will start putting up a lot of points.

As others have noted the past few games Weiss has put together a lot of scoring opportunities, but he's playing with 71. Even Datsyuk had trouble with Cleary flanking him.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Weiss has actually looked dangerous at times in the past 2 games. He'll be producing shortly, I'm thinking. I still only expect him to reach around 40 points this season.

As for the Weiss v. Filppula discussion, why does Flip's production mean he's some sort of god while Hudler's being T-7th in NHL scoring is being scoffed at?

I don't see many people flip flopping. I think both players will have typical seasons regardless of how well they have started so far.

Right now Fil's goal scoring percentage is ridiculous and will go down, while it seems any time Hudler touches the puck someone scores. I don't think their point totals are indicative of how good of players they are. Same with Weiss.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Funny how Filppula still gets those lucky goals. Tried to pass, it bounced in from Shattenkirk's skate. He still won't shoot the puck.

If you watch Tampa, he generates a ton of scoring chances for his linemates though. So he may be getting lucky goals, but he regularly misses out on plenty of assists.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've seen 4-5 of Tampa's games, and every one of Detroits, and as far as I'm concerned Filppula is a better hockey player than Weiss in every way possible.

Not even mad he's gone, but jus' sayin. My opinion.

Also here's a question. Name a center in Mike Babcock's system not named Zetterberg or Datsyuk, that has been able to handle the burdening defensive responsibility, and create offense at the same time? Can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Should be no surprise that Weiss is struggling to do both, it damn sure isn't easy. Look at Filppula playing center with more offensive freedom, shouldn't be a surprise he's doing well. Also not a coincidence that the switch to wing sparked his breakout season in Detroit, again it was a team where his defensive responsibility was lifted.

If you pay attention these things aren't coincidences.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
flip has on ice sh% of 8.8 so far this season. that's nothing outrageous for him, it's little lower than past 3 years but little higher than past 4 years.

it's the pp sh% that is pretty weird. might be system, talent, usage, better match in personel and little luck but it's 3 times higher than he's average with wings. that comes down by fair amount though.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
If Cleary could finish, he'd have 2-3 more points. He's trying, anyone who can't admit that is simply too stubborn to give him some credit. Give him a Tatar or Nyquist and we'll see how he doesn't produce points. If Andersson can produce with Tatar, imagine what Weiss could do with some proper wingers (along with Alfie)

And for the comparisons between Weiss and Filppula, Flip has 5 points on the PP while playing twice as much more on the PP than Weiss. Tampa's PP is one of the best in the league, Weiss is on our less than average 2nd unit. Flip's shooting percentage is 31.3, that's not going to keep up.

It's like people forgot how Filppula regressed when he was with the Wings. One great season and he reverted back to his old ways.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think when all is said and done Weiss will be the better fit for the Wings. If he can average 50 pts at center, anchor the 2nd pp unit, and help on the pk/draws then he is doing his job.

Right now he is getting used to playing a very difficult system. Plus he spent almost a year being injured. I said I'd give him 25 games to get it going. He's already starting to look better and is trying to get his line mates involved. I think he actually looks like a great center for Tatar and Nyquist because he is a really solid playmaker.

Alfie's only doing to well right now because A. he is a hall of fame type player and B. he spent the past couple of years playing for Mac in Ott who plays a similar system to the Wings.

Detroit Sports*

Would you still rather have Weiss of Filppula

I never understood the Weiss love. He doesn't look like a 5M+ a year player IMO. It's still early, but like Babcock said " the devil you know is sometimes better than the one you don't..." yet they still went for Weiss. Time will tell but I don't like what I see so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He plays the style I like more than Filppula more consistently than Filppula. That is, he's more aggressive as opposed to constantly turning back and being on the outside.

Anyone who's been watching the last 4-5 games know that with 2 competent wingers he'd have racked up some points. Unfortunately, he's playing basically a man down so... He's definitely acclimating well to the team and looks better out there.

Better than Filp? We'll see. I'm willing to give him half the season. Hopefully by then, some miracle will have forced Kenny to bring up Nyquist and we can actually have 3 threatening lines instead of 2.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I never understood the Weiss love. He doesn't look like a 5M+ a year player IMO. It's still early, but like Babcock said " the devil you know is sometimes better than the one you don't..." yet they still went for Weiss. Time will tell but I don't like what I see so far.

Does Filppula come with Stamkos and St. Louis? Because if he doesn't, I'm not putting much stock into the idea that Filppula would be producing any more than Weiss has.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Obviously nobody likes what they see so far. Weiss has been pretty bad. We're still only like 15 games into the season though.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'll let you know by the playoffs. I'm quite sure Flip wouldn't be producing much more being shackled with the two Daniel's.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Does Filppula come with Stamkos and St. Louis? Because if he doesn't, I'm not putting much stock into the idea that Filppula would be producing any more than Weiss has.

he was early on es with purcell and killorn. killorn is now on top line and now the third guy on that line has been panik/malone/connolly.

has gotten some time on 1st pp unit but mostly flip has been on 2nd unit. which has been outstanding. unsustainably oustanding, but still.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I've been down on Weiss but I really see improvement the past 4 games. He was one of only a couple guys I thought played well last night. Maybe he's just getting acclimated to a new system. He's been stuck with Daniel Cleary a lot and that's going to hurt anyone's game

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Someone resurrect this thread after this season (at the earliest). Otherwise we are just blowing smoke up our collective ass.

For the record, if I am picking a 2C from Weiss or Flip, it's Weiss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->