Pre-Game Talk: The week of coasts (BOS, WAS, @ANA, @Fopp ****ed up)

Points this week

• Total voters

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Long ways to go, but really good sign he's at least able to be back on the ice

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know if I should feel more or less optimistic after seeing him skate around like that. That appears to be a sign of progress and at least he's back on the ice though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I get Grubauer played pretty poorly last game he was in but this is one matchup you want him for. I'd have been a little irritated had he not rotated in against his old team because it'd indicate he didn't want to face them. Either way, he needs to be given the chance to play out of this rather pedestrian start, and the team needs to play better in front of him.

Reactions: McMetal

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I get Grubauer played pretty poorly last game he was in but this is one matchup you want him for. I'd have been a little irritated had he not rotated in against his old team because it'd indicate he didn't want to face them. Either way, he needs to be given the chance to play out of this rather pedestrian start, and the team needs to play better in front of him.

True , he has to play sometime

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Grubauer's last start was terrible but I don't think he has been that bad overall. His first three starts were all on the road against good teams and he won two of them, including being the only reason they beat the Canes. Bernier's numbers were even worse at this point last season and he was being called auto loss.

He's the back up so it's his job to stay ready but it's probably not easy just sitting for a bunch of games and then finally coming in for a start. Last season he was really good and I believe some of his best stretches of play came when he played a lot. Avs likely aren't going to know what they have in him unless he gets a bunch of games and can get in a rhythm but that's probably not going to happen as long as Varly is healthy.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
So...

@Gigantor The Goalie

I know Bednar is probably going to ride the **** out of Varly right now, but.. Who has the advantage if we were to start Grubs against the Caps? The goalie who has seen massive pucks in practice against the team, or the team who has shot massive pucks against the goalie?

I'd say it's a wash for the most part. There's such intensive scouting done these days that every goalie or shooter has a good idea of what they are going up against to begin with. Maybe slight edge to Grubauer because he knows how the offensive system will generally work.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd say it's a wash for the most part. There's such intensive scouting done these days that every goalie or shooter has a good idea of what they are going up against to begin with. Maybe slight edge to Grubauer because he knows how the offensive system will generally work.

Thanks, that makes sense. Just thought it was an interesting dynamic should Bednar choose to start him.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Looking at the schedule, Avs have so many road games coming up. Pretty tough schedule, but I guess that's good because they'll have more home games later in the season and probably easier schedule for a stretch run

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Thanks, that makes sense. Just thought it was an interesting dynamic should Bednar choose to start him.

I think it's more of a mental thing for Bednar in choosing Grubauer. He needs to play Grubauer at some point. The Caps aren't exactly on fire right now and Grubauer isn't going to want to disappoint versus his old team. It's a good attempt to get Grubauer turned around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad