Injury Report: The Eddy Punch Clock Memorial Infirmary Thread

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Giving Ferland 4 years was super dumb at the time. Good for him cashing in on a GM that is known to give out long term contracts to bottom six players.

Reactions: timw33 and vanuck

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
bad signing from the beginning the warning signs were there. ferland is done for the year and hockey itself. Life/family is more important. so IF he decideds to retire. his caphit doesn't affect the canucks cap correct? moving forward. sorta like derek dorsett situation.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Starting to wonder if he signed knowing this is what was going to happen. And I wouldn’t blame him one bit
Peak Canucks pessimism right here...

Like, term is injury assurance if you're an agent, sure, but come on man. Nobody signs a real contract thinking "my career is done". If he truly thought his career was over and his future was in jeopardy, he wouldn't have risked playing a single period.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Peak Canucks pessimism right here...

Like, term is injury assurance if you're an agent, sure, but come on man. Nobody signs a real contract thinking "my career is done". If he truly thought his career was over and his future was in jeopardy, he wouldn't have risked playing a single period.
I think a lot of people would for 14M USD

Reactions: DarrenX

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Another in a long line of immediate flop high term high $$ UFA signings.

A worthwhile gamble and if it's injury related it has no long term costs to the Canucks and it is sad for Ferland I know I suffer from post concussion it's something I'd wish upon no one well maybe Duncan Keith but...

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
bad signing from the beginning the warning signs were there. ferland is done for the year and hockey itself. Life/family is more important. so IF he decideds to retire. his caphit doesn't affect the canucks cap correct? moving forward. sorta like derek dorsett situation.

If he retires his caphit would dissappear, but why would he retire? Best case scenario for the Canucks is that he goes on LTIR for the rest of his contract.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Giving Ferland 4 years was super dumb at the time. Good for him cashing in on a GM that is known to give out long term contracts to bottom six players.

What the hell is wrong with. Like really the first thing that comes when you hear he is hurt is a way to bash Benning. How about wondering how the player is. Hockey players are still human:(:thumbd:.Also why do care when he retires the cap hit disappears and it's not like you are paying the contract.

Reactions: Nomobo

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
At the very least this latest setback means Ferland needs to shut down for the season....but realistically, he and his family need to seriously think about calling it quits. He has the rest of his life ahead of him, and spending the rest of that time on this earth with post-concussion syndrome is no way to live your life.

And although it might be premature, I for one am hoping that other 'heads will roll' over this signing. Whether it's the pro scouts; the team doctors; or the somebody--anybody in this organization; there has to be some accountability. I realize it's only 'money', but a four year contract at $3.5m and they may not get 10 games to show for it.

If you or I working for our employers made a decision that cost the company $14m, we'd expect to be gonzo.

That's why they insure player contracts, for scenarios like this. Canucks will be fine. Signing Ferland was a worthwhile gamble. If he's cleared to sign an NHL contract, he should be insurable. He will just sit on LTIR for three years.

Reactions: 1440

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
What the hell is wrong with. Like really the first thing that comes when you hear he is hurt is a way to bash Benning. How about wondering how the player is. Hockey players are still human:(:thumbd:.Also why do care when he retires the cap hit disappears and it's not like you are paying the contract.

While it may not be perfectly appropriate to talk about that now, your last sentence is not quite correct. Just because a player is injured long term it does not mean his cap hit will magically disappear. During the off season it will count, giving the team less flexibility and in season you only get cap relief for an LTIR player if you reach the salary cap. And if you use LTIR cap relief during the season potential performance bonus will carry over into next season. So yeah, none of the fans is paying his salary but it still has certain cap implications which fans are allowed to worry about.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Someone can be both critical of the decision to sign Ferland for four years but sympathetic to Ferland the person. What has happened to Ferland isn’t such that any discussion regarding his contract is inappropriate.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ferland left game with concussion like symptoms.

I’m not shocked. I didn’t really like the tone of the interviews the last couple of weeks. It seemed that he wasn’t looking at Utica in terms of a conditioning stint but rather a test to see if he was capable going all out in a hockey game because they really didn’t know what would happen.

You don’t like to see this type of thing happen. Take the rest of the year off and see what training camp brings.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m not shocked. I didn’t really like the tone of the interviews the last couple of weeks. It seemed that he wasn’t looking at Utica in terms of a conditioning stint but rather a test to see if he was capable going all out in a hockey game because they really didn’t know what would happen.

You don’t like to see this type of thing happen. Take the rest of the year off and see what training camp brings.
This was his third game in about 14 weeks. Last game was mid December. Didn’t suffer a concussion in those games but didn’t feel right after the last 2 games.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Usually with this management group being secretive and not giving updates is usually quite bad. Or they'll say that something is just "2-3 weeks" and it ends up being season ending.
So Montreal says nothing about Weber cause they don’t have a firm diagnosis thus this board starts thinking his career is in jeopardy.
If you don’t know for certain better to say nothing than give out incorrect information IMO if you are an NHL team. Despite what gets said on message boards.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So Montreal says nothing about Weber cause they don’t have a firm diagnosis thus this board starts thinking his career is in jeopardy.
If you don’t know for certain better to say nothing than give out incorrect information IMO if you are an NHL team. Despite what gets said on message boards.

I totally agree, but we've had instances like Juolevi where the GM of the team is telling us he's fine, just 2-3 weeks and then BAM he needs surgery out 6 months.

Reactions: vanuck

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Per 650.

Boeser, fractured rib cartiledge, to be re-evauated in three weeks
Ferland shut down for the year for reoccuring concussion like symptoms..

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad