Confirmed with Link: The "We Got Karlsson" jersey talk spin-off thread about jerseys Karlsson might or might not wear

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The problem with the Sharks is that Orange is the complementary color for teal. But orange is funny in that it works great for popping accents, and it can work well on its own (I do love the Cuda's orange jersey), but it really only works in those situations where it's either the dominant color or used sparingly for smaller design touches. Other colors just don't really work well alongside it. Red might go well enough with a lighter shade like the Sharks use, but it's too close to orange to pair well with it and there's too much red in the league anyway. Ditto for something like gold, which pops on its own but also is just too close to orange to play well with it. Blues or greens just get lost against teal unless they're starkly different, at which point they come dangerously close to clashing.

By being a combined color to begin with, teal is unfortunately saddled with the weaknesses of both blue and green while having those colors' individual strengths cancel each other out. In essence, it's uniqueness is also it's downfall. There's a good reason that the teams out there in sports that have historically used teal have generally had either similar color palettes to the current Sharks (the Miami Dolphins. The Jacksonville Jaguars used gold instead of orange to similar effect. The Vancouver Grizzlies used minimal amounts of red and a sort of bronzy color) or the past Sharks (the Florida Marlins only had gray as a non black/white color.). The only exception I can think of is the original scheme of the Arizona Diamondbacks which featured some teal as mostly a secondary logo and accent color along with a primary purple and some mild bronze/copper accents. But adopting purple means that we start hewing kind of close to ye olde Mighty Ducks setup with their eggplant and teal-adjacent original setup. And I don't think anyone wants that.

the only other thing the Sharks have ever had is silver or gray. Neither of those work as a pants color or as a primary jersey color (just look back at the fugly gray alternate the Kings wore in 2016-17). Teal is unfortunately both our gift and our curse.

EDIT: as a sort of mild aside, I also thought about the prospect of teal pants on the teal jerseys, but I'm not a fan of monochrome uniform setups. It's the same reason I detest the NFL's "color rush" uniforms and one of the biggest reasons I don't like the Sharks' black jerseys as much anymore as an on-ice jersey since it has to be paired with black pants and black socks (I I don't mind the black jersey as a fan fashion option because most fans aren't also wearing black pants with it and it works just fine with jeans or most neutral pants/shorts colors)

Teal pants on the white unis, however, might be interesting. Were it not 1am I would absolutely be mocking up a version of that to see what the result was.

And as my 5th edit to this post, again I apologize for derailing the Karlsson thread with all the jersey talk. Though it might be a sign that our Karlsson euphoria has crested and can now be carried by the assorted other topical threads about games and lineups and contracts and whatever.
I want an off-white/linen set for some reason

Reactions: do0glas

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Not to be a boor but could y’all start a different thread pertaining to the jerseys?
I keep hoping that there is more information concerning Karlsson but it turns out someone prefers white sleeves.
Nothing against your preferences but shouldn’t this thread be focused on EK65?

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah I’m not feeling that, they look like jean shorts to me :laugh:

New theme night jerseys: california surf day. Hawaiian shirt-style jerseys with pucca shell neclaces printed on them and jorts-style pants over skin-tone socks. Plus Joe's jersey would be a special edition with the "shirt" unbuttoned/open.

EDIT: also I'll move the jersey talk from here a little later. I'm on my phone and using mod controls on mobile suuuucks (and risks me borking something up)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not to be a boor but could y’all start a different thread pertaining to the jerseys?
I keep hoping that there is more information concerning Karlsson but it turns out someone prefers white sleeves.
Nothing against your preferences but shouldn’t this thread be focused on EK65?

I actually did start a jersey thread.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As promised last night, teal jerseys with orange pants:

CoochOrangePants.jpg

My eyes. it burns...

and my thought, teal pants for the monochrome look:

CoochTealPants.jpg

This is actually mildly intriguing.

I'll be back later. It's dinner time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Sort of offtopic, but sort of ontopic because of the title...

I saw this on NHL.com:

cut.jpg

Does this mean the team is trying to trade Melker? Else wouldn't Erik Karlsson's jersey read E. Karlsson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->