Confirmed with Link: The "We Got Karlsson" jersey talk spin-off thread about jerseys Karlsson might or might not wear

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
*MOD NOTE* Due to some demand and a bit of sense about not hijacking the other thread anymore, all the talk about jerseys from in the Karlsson thread is now here.

yeah I might even get myself a 3rd jersey if they come out with one this year as well. Would probably get a Kane or a Couture one. I already have 4 Thornton jerseys and a Burns.

If they make the heritage jersey our 3rd I’m buying a Karlsson heritage jersey yesterday.

A pic of the new 3rd was leaked last week I think. I was hoping for another heritage as well, but looks like they went with black again (pre-emptive "burn the black jersey"). I'm not a fan of the addidas sweaters anyway, so I'll save towards something else if this is really it.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
A pic of the new 3rd was leaked last week I think. I was hoping for another heritage as well, but looks like they went with black again (pre-emptive "burn the black jersey"). I'm not a fan of the addidas sweaters anyway, so I'll save towards something else if this is really it.

This is a sweet jersey. It reminds me of the really old school Sharks CCM practice jerseys, where the old logo was black, outlined in teal, on a black jersey.

I own one and I've never seen anyone else wearing it at a game. I'll have to upload a picture later.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
This is a sweet jersey. It reminds me of the really old school Sharks CCM practice jerseys, where the old logo was black, outlined in teal, on a black jersey.

I own one and I've never seen anyone else wearing it at a game. I'll have to upload a picture later.

Jersey.png

Found a pic from when I wore it to a Worcester Sharks game (RIP)

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

McDeez

Feb 8, 2007
San Jose

I don't understand the obsession for going with Black as third jerseys. Not a fan of it, especially when we have one of the most unique colors in the NHL. They go with black. I get we have a Teal jersey, but they should go retro teal for the 3rds. Just as they did with the heritage jerseys.

Reactions: slocal

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I prefer the yoked versions of the modern design to the current yokeless ones, but all I really want are a) symmetrical elbow stripes and b) a waist stripe
Sounds good. I just really love the heritage jersey, the old logo is cool and the design is more appealing to me than the giant block of teal look the main sweater has.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
To each their own, but the current yokeless jerseys still look like pajamas or practice jerseys to me.

I really like the all-teal look, it reminds me of classic jerseys like Detroit and Toronto. We have a very unique primary color and should do everything we can to own it, rather than slapping an uninspired black yoke on the shoulders.

I will agree though that I liked the teal yoke on the away jerseys we had before.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
I like those, but specifically the 2000 alternate jersey version where the shoulders/sleeves were metallic silver instead of gray.

vincent_damphousse_autographed_8x10_photo_san_jose_sharks_8x10_photo_certified_authentic_p1395938.jpg

I think there was also a white version that had metallic teal sleeves as well. Maybe. I might actually be imagining that.
Damphousse!

Those were slick. Why did everyone hate the silver?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Damphousse!

Those were slick. Why did everyone hate the silver?

Because people are allergic to fun and change. :sarcasm:

I managed to track one of those down (replica, not authentic) on eBay a few years ago. I originally was going to get it lettered, but I haven't been able to bring myself to modify it

I liked the original Nashville jerseys too because they had silver sleeves.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
I wasn't a fan of the silver, thought it looked tacky.

Since we're talking about jerseys, didn't one of the Sharks FO guys last year say that the new thirds this year would feature the "screaming shark" logo prominently? That leaked third definitely doesn't feature it prominently at all.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I wasn't a fan of the silver, thought it looked tacky.

Since we're talking about jerseys, didn't one of the Sharks FO guys last year say that the new thirds this year would feature the "screaming shark" logo prominently? That leaked third definitely doesn't feature it prominently at all.

Definitely still not sold those are the actual 3rds. They look similar to those black ice jerseys from a few years back so it could just be a boutique jersey. I wish the NHL did more than 3 jerseys for a team. The heritage jersey is just too beautiful not to wear a few times a year.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
I think there was also a white version that had metallic teal sleeves as well. Maybe. I might actually be imagining that.
You're not imaging that unless we're both crazy.

This set is still among my favorites, although I prefer the CCM/Koho/Reebok matte version. I swear I once saw a white sweater with black mesh on the sides instead of white; that I might be imagining lol.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You're not imaging that unless we're both crazy.

This set is still among my favorites, although I prefer the CCM/Koho/Reebok matte version. I swear I once saw a white sweater with black mesh on the sides instead of white; that I might be imagining lol.

I don't ever remember black side-panels on the white jersey (especially since the late 90s/early 00s version that had the side-panels was cut in such a way that the mesh went up through the armpit and formed those fin-shaped 'points' on the chest, so those would've had to be black too and I certainly don't ever remember that.)

Maybe it was something someone bought from one of those shady Chinese knockoff retailers. I've seen tons of counterfeit NHL jerseys that are barely different than the real thing with some odd color choices (I remember someone making the late 90s/early 00s "Pen-wing" Pittsburgh jersey that had the gradient chest stripe, but with gold accents instead of yellow. And with Malkin on the back in spite of him being about 4 years too late to wear that design) so it wouldn't surprise me if one of them might try and skirt the issue a little bit or make use of materials scraps by sticking the black mesh sides onto a white jersey.

It'd look super weird though.

Which reminds me that I also kind of miss the metallic gold on the Pens jerseys as well. I know it's very late 90s/early 00s, but I'm a sucker for metallic finishing touches and accents on jerseys. Of course I also like some of the other oddball design choices like the old Thrashers blue 3rd with the asymmetrical sleeve striping or the Hurricanes' hurricane flag striping details on the current reds' waist stripe. I also tend to find most instances of the "clean, classic" look from the pre-80s to either be boring (Detroit) or hypocritical (Chicago is my favorite example when people love it for being so "simple" when it has that busy triple stripe setup and a ridiculously complicated logo.)

Just like I miss the old 90s football jerseys that had the silky shiny finished shoulder/sleeve pieces above the mesh torso (Specifically I miss the old Seahawks blue/green ones. Totally OT and I imagine that most of you don't care about or outright dislike the Hawks, but I'd kill for them to go back to their old color scheme by swapping out the navy/gray/lime combo for a medium blue with green and white trim but retaining the current, angrier looking logo)

And now I'm getting off topic since htis is the Karlsson thread and not the "nem gripes about jerseys" thread.

Maybe we need a "Griping about jerseys" thread :laugh:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I like those thirds. But i see why ppl dont. Ive basically stopped buying jerseys anyway. I made a pretty slick shirt with the old school sharks fin logo, so id rather do that

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know next to nothing about the aesthetics of hockey uniforms, but how do people feel about, like, and black sweater with teal pants? Does that look tacky? I can’t tell.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I know next to nothing about the aesthetics of hockey uniforms, but how do people feel about, like, and black sweater with teal pants? Does that look tacky? I can’t tell.

Just trying to imagine that, I think it would probably look really odd. Lighter colored pants rarely work out well except when matching a lighter colored jersey (ie red pants with a red jersey.)

Maybe I'll mock something up when I get home (it's whl season opener night. First of 30+ chances to cry that we'll be too good to have a shot at drafting Bowen Byram even if we still had a 1st)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Alright, super rush-job with a lot of artifacts from adjusting the color levels, but I believe this achieves the desired effect for mock-up purposes.

TealPants.jpg

Yeah... dark jerseys with light pants is a hard "no" for me. Light pants in general are hard to pull off well, especially against a darker jersey. Most teams that use a light pant color (and there are very few) are doing it to match their jersey color (red wings, Canes on their reds only, Oilers blue on their blue/orange alts, St. Louis in a super-ballsy experiment of pairing light blue pants with their 60s-esque light blue alternates) or as a contrasting option of relatively equal lightness to their jersey color (Habs have blue pants against their more red-dominated jerseys where blue is an accent color. Rangers use the opposite, pairing red pants with their mostly blue-focused unis.) You can't really have light pants against a darker jersey without ending up with some high-grade nonsense like the Calgary Flames' ill-advised Ronald McDonald Heritage Classic setup (made worse by the inexplicable tan pants on a jersey that features no tan whatsoever)

flames10.jpg

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Alright, super rush-job with a lot of artifacts from adjusting the color levels, but I believe this achieves the desired effect for mock-up purposes.

View attachment 141377

Yeah... dark jerseys with light pants is a hard "no" for me. Light pants in general are hard to pull off well, especially against a darker jersey. Most teams that use a light pant color (and there are very few) are doing it to match their jersey color (red wings, Canes on their reds only, Oilers blue on their blue/orange alts, St. Louis in a super-ballsy experiment of pairing light blue pants with their 60s-esque light blue alternates) or as a contrasting option of relatively equal lightness to their jersey color (Habs have blue pants against their more red-dominated jerseys where blue is an accent color. Rangers use the opposite, pairing red pants with their mostly blue-focused unis.) You can't really have light pants against a darker jersey without ending up with some high-grade nonsense like the Calgary Flames' ill-advised Ronald McDonald Heritage Classic setup (made worse by the inexplicable tan pants on a jersey that features no tan whatsoever)

flames10.jpg

Thanks for putting all that effort in. :laugh: I’m on board. I just wish that we had a second color other than black. Burnt orange doesn’t count. I wish the Sharks had a teal and ____ type of color scheme (like the Habs with red/blue, Canucks with blue/green, Avs with maroon/navy, etc.). It’s boring having only one color. I mean, I guess it could be worse, we could be the Kings and have zero colors, but still.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Thanks for putting all that effort in. :laugh: I’m on board. I just wish that we had a second color other than black. Burnt orange doesn’t count. I wish the Sharks had a teal and ____ type of color scheme (like the Habs with red/blue, Canucks with blue/green, Avs with maroon/navy, etc.). It’s boring having only one color. I mean, I guess it could be worse, we could be the Kings and have zero colors, but still.

The problem with the Sharks is that Orange is the complementary color for teal. But orange is funny in that it works great for popping accents, and it can work well on its own (I do love the Cuda's orange jersey), but it really only works in those situations where it's either the dominant color or used sparingly for smaller design touches. Other colors just don't really work well alongside it. Red might go well enough with a lighter shade like the Sharks use, but it's too close to orange to pair well with it and there's too much red in the league anyway. Ditto for something like gold, which pops on its own but also is just too close to orange to play well with it. Blues or greens just get lost against teal unless they're starkly different, at which point they come dangerously close to clashing.

By being a combined color to begin with, teal is unfortunately saddled with the weaknesses of both blue and green while having those colors' individual strengths cancel each other out. In essence, it's uniqueness is also it's downfall. There's a good reason that the teams out there in sports that have historically used teal have generally had either similar color palettes to the current Sharks (the Miami Dolphins. The Jacksonville Jaguars used gold instead of orange to similar effect. The Vancouver Grizzlies used minimal amounts of red and a sort of bronzy color) or the past Sharks (the Florida Marlins only had gray as a non black/white color.). The only exception I can think of is the original scheme of the Arizona Diamondbacks which featured some teal as mostly a secondary logo and accent color along with a primary purple and some mild bronze/copper accents. But adopting purple means that we start hewing kind of close to ye olde Mighty Ducks setup with their eggplant and teal-adjacent original setup. And I don't think anyone wants that.

the only other thing the Sharks have ever had is silver or gray. Neither of those work as a pants color or as a primary jersey color (just look back at the fugly gray alternate the Kings wore in 2016-17). Teal is unfortunately both our gift and our curse.

EDIT: as a sort of mild aside, I also thought about the prospect of teal pants on the teal jerseys, but I'm not a fan of monochrome uniform setups. It's the same reason I detest the NFL's "color rush" uniforms and one of the biggest reasons I don't like the Sharks' black jerseys as much anymore as an on-ice jersey since it has to be paired with black pants and black socks (I I don't mind the black jersey as a fan fashion option because most fans aren't also wearing black pants with it and it works just fine with jeans or most neutral pants/shorts colors)

Teal pants on the white unis, however, might be interesting. Were it not 1am I would absolutely be mocking up a version of that to see what the result was.

And as my 5th edit to this post, again I apologize for derailing the Karlsson thread with all the jersey talk. Though it might be a sign that our Karlsson euphoria has crested and can now be carried by the assorted other topical threads about games and lineups and contracts and whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->