The we are over the hump thread

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Maybe my views on the past are warped, but I don't think the FLY line is in the same category as the GAG line.

i didnt mean the FLY line is in the same category as the GAG line, either, but my point was that they may not be as memorable. i guess i coulda put the Jagr-Nylander-Straka line out there too, since we arent simply sticking to acronyms... :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i didnt mean the FLY line is in the same category as the GAG line, either, but my point was that they may not be as memorable. i guess i coulda put the Jagr-Nylander-Straka line out there too, since we arent simply sticking to acronyms... :laugh:

I don't think the Fly line would be nearly as memorable if not for a catchy name.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Okay and that's the Rangers. What about their opponents?

Not to mention I don't really care what anyone did in a midget season with no camps or pre-season.

Put this Ranger team out West and we're talking tank still. The most positive thing for me right now is Kreider playing well, Stepan proving last year wasn't a fluke and McD emerging as a potential future Norris candidate. If all three of those things happen I like their chances a lot more going forward.

BRB makes a valid point about contract uncertainty. Hopefully they bring back the right guys and move on from plugs, or has-beens. I have little faith in getting that part right.

Well the west is ridiculously good but you don't know what would happen if they were out west. And what do you mean what about their opponent? They're in a soft part of the schedule, can't ignore that, just like you can't ignore the factors I mentioned that you, BRB, and Drew seem hell bent on doing.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Well the west is ridiculously good but you don't know what would happen if they were out west. And what do you mean what about their opponent? They're in a soft part of the schedule, can't ignore that, just like you can't ignore the factors I mentioned that you, BRB, and Drew seem hell bent on doing.

No, I don't know anything admittedly. However I do think out West they'd be below .500 still.

I mean just because the Rangers look better than last year doesn't assure they will advance more rounds because they won one last season. The opponents get better or worse as well and depending on where the Rangers end up seeded, especially with the realignment, they could very well win 0 rounds this year. What they did last year means absolutely nothing. You can't say well players x, y, z, are way better this year, and we won a round last year, so this year is definitely 2+. Well you can say it, but it would be poor logic.

Everyone's playing better, great. That's a positive for sure but I'm not about to draw conclusions based on it.

Drewbackatu*

Yep, we're perpetually rose colored glasses wearing fans. Only people that think like you two are realists. Do you realize how arrogant that is?

I don't mean all the fans obviously, just those fans that post ridiculous nonsense after a win or during a winning streak. Btw, those are usually the same fans who trash the team beyond comprehension when the team is in the midst of a particularly poor performance.

Drewbackatu*

Yep, we're perpetually rose colored glasses wearing fans. Only people that think like you two are realists. Do you realize how arrogant that is?

I suppose it is arrogant, sorry. Look, we are all supposed to be in this together pulling in the same direction but there are times(far too often) that I find myself waiting and wondering when the other shoe is going to drop!

Drewbackatu*

Let me ask you a question, since you are so into projections.

What do you think this team is? A Stanley Cup contender, or a mediocre squad that will battle for a playoff spot, be one and done or maybe win a round? Or will you run behind door #3 saying you don't know what this team is yet, which would fly in the face of how much you love projections?

What I find particularly arrogant is that you look down on any fan that has a high level of expectations. That, after 13 years with the same GM, you can still buy into the same excuses hook line and sinker. In 20 years, when Sather's cryogenic head is running the team, you'll still be bellowing the same crap.

That's a very good question which many of us tend to lose site of when the team is either playing very well or stinking it up.
I don't think we have enough of a sample size yet to know what kind of team this can eventually be but there seem to be some good signs during this latest run.

NHRangerfan

I suppose it is arrogant, sorry. Look, we are all supposed to be in this together pulling in the same direction but there are times(far too often) that I find myself waiting and wondering when the other shoe is going to drop!

isn't that the way all Ranger fans think?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't mean all the fans obviously, just those fans that post ridiculous nonsense after a win or during a winning streak. Btw, those are usually the same fans who trash the team beyond comprehension when the team is in the midst of a particularly poor performance.

Sounds relatively reasonable. Praise them when they play well and criticize them when they're not. Seems a lot more reasonable than your and BRB's criticize them 24/7 stance. Maybe the extremes are unnecessary (and I'm guilty as anyone).

Drewbackatu*

The Rangers were tied with florida 2-2 last night going into the 3rd period. The Rangers won 4-3.

The Rangers' wins have been over teams with a combined record of 64-77-23. Their losses have been to teams with a combined record of 82-39-18.

Together that's 146-116-41.

Chicago was tied 2-2 with edmonton last night going into the 3rd period. Chicago won 5-4.

Their wins this year have been over teams with a combined record of 83-104-29. Their losses have been against teams with a combined record of 62-25-10.

Together that's 145-129-39.

I guess chicago is mediocre too.

No offense, but I think it's best to leave Chicago, winner of 2 cups in the last 4 years and one of the best run franchises, out of the conversation.

Drewbackatu*

Sounds relatively reasonable. Praise them when they play well and criticize them when they're not. Seems a lot more reasonable than your and BRB's criticize them 24/7 stance. Maybe the extremes are unnecessary (and I'm guilty as anyone).

Lets be fair now; I really don't criticize them 24/7, it only seems that way!

Drewbackatu*

Okay and that's the Rangers. What about their opponents?

Not to mention I don't really care what anyone did in a midget season with no camps or pre-season.

Put this Ranger team out West and we're talking tank still. The most positive thing for me right now is Kreider playing well, Stepan proving last year wasn't a fluke and McD emerging as a potential future Norris candidate. If all three of those things happen I like their chances a lot more going forward.

BRB makes a valid point about contract uncertainty. Hopefully they bring back the right guys and move on from plugs, or has-beens. I have little faith in getting that part right.

Ya mean you don't trust "the Teflon GM" to get it right? Spoken like a true glass 1/2 empty fan filled with negativity.
Welcome aboard!

DoTheBlue

No Expectations
Apr 5, 2007
Pennsylvania

I got a whole closet full of those shoes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
No, I don't know anything admittedly. However I do think out West they'd be below .500 still.

I mean just because the Rangers look better than last year doesn't assure they will advance more rounds because they won one last season. The opponents get better or worse as well and depending on where the Rangers end up seeded, especially with the realignment, they could very well win 0 rounds this year. What they did last year means absolutely nothing. You can't say well players x, y, z, are way better this year, and we won a round last year, so this year is definitely 2+. Well you can say it, but it would be poor logic.

Everyone's playing better, great. That's a positive for sure but I'm not about to draw conclusions based on it.

Right, but considering how bad the division is, I find it interesting that you're assuming the worst, that we'll take a step back.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Maybe "turned a corner" is a better thread title?

The PP looks way, way, way better. Defense looks more solid. Offensively still some hiccups but better. Hank and Talbot aren't an issue.

Not over any humps, but I think they've turned a corner. Getting the system down, getting healthier, jelling, etc.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
You know, it occurred to me as i was checking the time for this evening's game - I don't think I've looked forward to regular season Rangers games as much as I have recently in a long, long time. Probably back to the first two years after the first lockout.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You know, it occurred to me as i was checking the time for this evening's game - I don't think I've looked forward to regular season Rangers games as much as I have recently in a long, long time. Probably back to the first two years after the first lockout.

If only we could all return to that time. A sweeter time. A time of eternal optimism. But we lost a game and so now the apocalypse has come!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad