The WC2 "Race" In The West Is A Joke

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The only team playing well of those fighting for the spot is CHI and the fact that CHI is behind the Arizona Coyotes in the standings basically tells you good the team has been for most of the season.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
These things are invariably cyclical. Only a few years ago the West was a thousand miles better than the East, and now it seems the West is about 3-4 really good teams and a bunch of schmucks. So it goes. Can't wait to hear how much the East sucks again once the pendulum starts swinging in that direction again.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
When is Phoenix supposed to get some players back? I know the score didn’t look great in the blues game but there was a decent chunk of the game where neither team allowed much. I thought they looked decent.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So the 8th seed is gonna suck. Big deal. There will be 7 other teams that deserve to be there.
Not really. Only 4 teams in the west would be in a playoff position in the east with the points they have.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not really. Only 4 teams in the west would be in a playoff position in the east with the points they have.
Don’t care. Vegas went to the Cup last year. The Blues are the hottest team in the entire NHL. You can’t convince me that those teams don’t deserve to be in the playoffs. And yes, they are both better than quite a few of the playoff teams in the East as well. Just got off to slow starts, which means very little.

Dallas is meh but they’re a fine Wild Card team. They are decent every year.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
The blues arent much behind the 8 seed of east in points and probably will end seasons with more points than them with the rate they are currently winning

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The only team playing well of those fighting for the spot is CHI and the fact that CHI is behind the Arizona Coyotes in the standings basically tells you good the team has been for most of the season.

I'm gonna need you to go ahead and explain why a lot of teams having a shot at the spot is bad. Sounds like an exciting race to the finish to me.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I'm gonna need you to go ahead and explain why a lot of teams having a shot at the spot is bad. Sounds like an exciting race to the finish to me.

If the goal was to lose more than your competition, it would be a great race.

Record in the last ten games:

MIN: 2-5-3
VAN: 3-6-1
COL: 1-6-3
ARI: 4-5-1
EDM: 1-7-2
ANA: 2-8-0

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia

Of course the Oilers manage to be the worst of that group, picking up a solid 4 points of 20 available. Amazing.

The spot is right there for the taking and none of those teams can string together some .500+ hockey.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
For a while there I thought Minnesota would get in because really all they needed was to go .500 the rest of the season and they’d probably land a spot. But I’m not sure they can even do that.

This race truly is a turtle derby. Nobody seems to want it and yet it’s right there for the taking. Chicago looks the most poised to take it right now, but honestly, who knows.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

You didn't answer my question. Most of those teams still have a chance. How is that bad?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That's not bad. The fact that almost all the teams fighting for the spot are playing so poorly is what's bad and the OP says that.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me. This is better than having a big gap between teams in the playoffs and those which are not.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Since the 1993 draft when the conferences were reformatted to East/West, the Western Conference has only had 8 out of 26 first overall selections.

4 if you don't include the Oilers.

So it's hardly surprising that the basement of the nhl has finally swung to the West.
We know, there we threads every other day telling us how great the west was and how bad the east was. Now that it is the opposite we just have live with it. In another decade it will probably swing back the other way, circle of life. HF just dumps on whoever is bad.

Edit: Also, since the 2006 draft, the west has had 7 of the 13 first overalls.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad