The way too soon look at 2022-23 roster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I'm not going to make a guess at what the roster looks like in October of 2022, but with all the recent signings and trades, I thought it was interesting to see how that roster is shaping up so far.

Below are the players either signed through 2023, or who are RFA this off-season and next (implying a high likelihood that they will be around), or who are top prospects we can expect to at least be fighting for a spot. I won't speculate on guys like Bertuzzi or Vrana, I think we are all aware that there's a chance (big, small, or minuscule) that they'll be dealt.

Larkin
Vrana
Bertuzzi
Suter
Rasmussen
Zadina
Erne
Smith
Stephens
Veleno
Berggren
Raymond
Pearson

Hronek
Oesterle
Lindstrom
Seider
Johansson

Nedeljkovic

The thing that jumps out to me right away is the number of forwards on the list. A full 13, which notably does not include Fabbri. And the oldest at that point? Tyler Bertuzzi at 27yo. I don't expect all 13 to be on the roster in 13 months, and I suspect a couple vets will be in the mix by then, but that's a helluva young group, especially considering what we've been used to for years.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I'm not going to make a guess at what the roster looks like in October of 2022, but with all the recent signings and trades, I thought it was interesting to see how that roster is shaping up so far.

Below are the players either signed through 2023, or who are RFA this off-season and next (implying a high likelihood that they will be around), or who are top prospects we can expect to at least be fighting for a spot. I won't speculate on guys like Bertuzzi or Vrana, I think we are all aware that there's a chance (big, small, or minuscule) that they'll be dealt.

Larkin
Vrana
Bertuzzi
Suter
Rasmussen
Zadina
Erne
Smith
Stephens
Veleno
Berggren
Raymond
Pearson

Hronek
Oesterle
Lindstrom
Seider
Johansson

Nedeljkovic

The thing that jumps out to me right away is the number of forwards on the list. A full 13, which notably does not include Fabbri. And the oldest at that point? Tyler Bertuzzi at 27yo. I don't expect all 13 to be on the roster in 13 months, and I suspect a couple vets will be in the mix by then, but that's a helluva young group, especially considering what we've been used to for years.

I'd guess Fabbri is kept. He's proving a versatile 2-way Top6 with a great work ethic/attitude. With our current & forseeable lack of top6F/top4D skill, we need all we can get/keep...barring a Mantha overpay for Bert/Vrana. Unless either demands crazy $ and/or term.

Bert/Vrana, 1 is ~50% gone within 1 yr.

The rest of the list looks accurate.

Is Al Jo really ready next season?

anyone's guess on the backup G...I wanna run the 1a/1b rotation, it works better imo, until you have a workhorse stud in net. Helps flatten the volatility curve.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009

Larkin
Vrana
Bertuzzi
Suter
Rasmussen
Zadina
Erne
Smith
Stephens
Veleno
Berggren
Raymond
Pearson

Hronek
Oesterle
Lindstrom
Seider
Johansson

Nedeljkovic

I’m pretty satisfied with every player on this list except for Oesterle. But he’ll probably be bottoms pairing or 7th d man anyways. I say we let Fabbri go at the trade deadline or in Fa because he’s too injury prone.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Likely not, but depending on how this season goes for him I'm considering him in that "expect to be at least fighting for a spot" category. I actually added his name to the list at the last second. You could scratch him off the list and I wouldn't cry.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't have anything but the obvious to add. The team really needs a top center. Have a feeling Vrana and Bertuzzi will be traded this season or next and can't wait to see who they bring in.

I feel like the D and G are looking good and hoping Raymond can build into an elite winger to round out this roster's eventual top center.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd guess Fabbri is kept. He's proving a versatile 2-way Top6 with a great work ethic/attitude. With our current & forseeable lack of top6F/top4D skill, we need all we can get/keep...barring a Mantha overpay for Bert/Vrana. Unless either demands crazy $ and/or term.

Bert/Vrana, 1 is ~50% gone within 1 yr.

The rest of the list looks accurate.

anyone's guess on the backup G...I wanna run the 1a/1b rotation, it works better imo, until you have a workhorse stud in net. Helps flatten the volatility curve.

I don't know if AlJo is ready next season but maybe half the season in GR then a call up to the bigs at some point, then full time by 2023. I half expect Edvinsson to be arriving at the same time. Same idea as well. Maybe he gets a cup of coffee at the end of the SHL season in 2022 and full time in 2023?

We will really need a veteran defender on the left side next season and the FA pool is really thin in comparison to this year. We may have to deal a prospect for a proven player if we're hoping to improve.

EDIT: Crazy thought, but Cernak is UFA in 2023 and Tampa is probably hemorrhaging good players at that point. Maybe we can send them one of our D prospects or a pick for Cernak in 2022 when they have another cap crunch? I know he's a RD but he's rock solid.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Larkin
Suter
Veleno
Stephens
Vrana
Fabbri
Zadina
Rasmussen
Raymond
Berggren
Erne
Smith

Pearson

Seider
Hronek
Lindstrom
Johansson
McIsaac (if he can stay fit this year)
+1

Nedeljkovic
+1

I think we work out a deal with Erne which is probably 2 years, similar to Bert. He will probably be shipped off at this years TDL if the guys who come over this year look like they are ready for minutes in the Top 9 from next year. Vrana I think will be signed to something more long term.\

Greiss I can see being moved at the deadline this year if he continues his end of season form, a fair few goaltenders have been moved around his year and it is almost certain that one or two will fail to settle at playoff bound teams.

------------------

We're getting there. Slowly.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Likely not, but depending on how this season goes for him I'm considering him in that "expect to be at least fighting for a spot" category. I actually added his name to the list at the last second. You could scratch him off the list and I wouldn't cry.

I will scratch him off the list & you will go cryin' in to your pillow every night like a lovelorn teenager & like it. :)

I think Al Jo's probably 1.5 seasons away, so yeah fighting for a spot, potentially out of '22-'23 camp

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't know if AlJo is ready next season but maybe half the season in GR then a call up to the bigs at some point, then full time by 2023. I half expect Edvinsson to be arriving at the same time. Same idea as well. Maybe he gets a cup of coffee at the end of the SHL season in 2022 and full time in 2023?

We will really need a veteran defender on the left side next season and the FA pool is really thin in comparison to this year. We may have to deal a prospect for a proven player if we're hoping to improve.

EDIT: Crazy thought, but Cernak is UFA in 2023 and Tampa is probably hemorrhaging good players at that point. Maybe we can send them one of our D prospects or a pick for Cernak in 2022 when they have another cap crunch? I know he's a RD but he's rock solid.

1. Cernak is solid, depending on $alary/term etc.

2. I'd rather have Seider/Hronek remain on as RD1/2 respectively. If Cernak can switch to play the 1LD/2LD position well, I go that route.

3. Resigning Leddy to a short deal is another option, even if he's traded at TDL a la Staal.

4. Someone else may shake loose/cap casualty/wrong fit/rebuilding team etc.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Looks like I'll be getting the centre ice package next year for the first time in a long time if Seider and Raymond are in the lineup.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
I can see something like

Raymond Larkin Zadina
Vrana (W/L/S) Berggren
Suter/Veleno Fabbri
Erne Rasmussen UFA/Soderblom

Johansson Seider
UFA Hronek
Edvinsson Lindstrom

Nedeljkovic
UFA… maybe cossa but most likely not ready

Bertuzzi traded. maybe for a top 4 LD or in a package for a 1/2c
W/L/S - Wright Lambert Savoie

Reactions: lilidk

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
1. Cernak is solid, depending on $alary/term etc.

2. I'd rather have Seider/Hronek remain on as RD1/2 respectively. If Cernak can switch to play the 1LD/2LD position well, I go that route.

Why are you forcing those righties on the left side, and not building it ideally? Righties on the right and lefites on the left. That's it. That's the best and ideal, less mistake defence.

Wrong handness is always problem on either side, and righty on the left is bogger problem than lefty on the right, because some lefties have experience from right, but almost all righties don't have any experience from left.

Quite sure Cernak has never played a shift on the left side, because Tampa has been so strong on left side thanks to HEdman/McDonagh/Sergachev.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
  • Need to see what Bertuzzi gets traded for (if he does)
  • Need to see what Raymond looks like
  • Need to see if Leddy is re-signed
  • Need to see how Veleno/Rasmussen look
  • Need to see how Berggren looks
  • Would like to think one of McIsaac, Johansson, etc. could have a surprisingly good season and push for a LD spot in 22-23

I have more questions than answers, right now.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lol yeah, I am sure Malkin would sign right up for 1M to Detroit.

Surprisingly much Centers as UFAs.

Barkov, Zibanejad, Hertl, Malkin, Giroux, Bergeron, Pavelski... much of old guys and 0% hope for Barkov. He is gonna extend to Florida. They are gonna push hard, and he is a loyal guy. Not moving anyhere, when they do the huge jump they started already at last season.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Why are you forcing those righties on the left side, and not building it ideally? Righties on the right and lefites on the left. That's it. That's the best and ideal, less mistake defence.

Wrong handness is always problem on either side, and righty on the left is bogger problem than lefty on the right, because some lefties have experience from right, but almost all righties don't have any experience from left.

Quite sure Cernak has never played a shift on the left side, because Tampa has been so strong on left side thanks to HEdman/McDonagh/Sergachev.

Lol. Nobody is "forcing" anything. Perhaps you missed "If Cernak can switch to play the 1LD/2LD position well..."

otherwise you're not telling me something I haven't known for 45+ yrs of watching hockey. "If" being the operative word.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Lol. Nobody is "forcing" anything. Perhaps you missed "If Cernak can switch to play the 1LD/2LD position well..."

otherwise you're not telling me something I haven't known for 45+ yrs of watching hockey. "If" being the operative word.

Ok, there was IF.

Did miss that. :)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Surprisingly much Centers as UFAs.

Barkov, Zibanejad, Hertl, Malkin, Giroux, Bergeron, Pavelski... much of old guys and 0% hope for Barkov. He is gonna extend to Florida. They are gonna push hard, and he is a loyal guy. Not moving anyhere, when they do the huge jump they started already at last season.
Hertl is an excellent Plan B to Barkov (plan A).

Reactions: Hatter of the Beach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad