NHL Entry Draft: The way too early first round mock draft for 2021.

newdimension

May 18, 2013
With the way covid's been exploding, who knows when we're going to get regular hockey back full-time or even have the draft. All that being said, some leagues are in the middle of seasons... some haven't started... there's a lot of questions left. So, what better way to fill the time and boredom... than by doing a mock draft for a season that's in complete disarray and may never start!

This one's a little different though. With the world tits up, I'm going to give my own personal standings on how I think things will turn out. That includes revamped divisions that are based on regions, which I'll also include.

As per usual, all notes and comparisons are preliminary. Especially the comparables. Since everything is all over the board, it's hard to get a good, solid read on these guys, some of which that haven't even started their season. As always, I'm not a scout and I don't get to see every player. It's just a fun project I like to do... plus I've got a lot of free time, especially as of late.

Anyhow, my guesses/predictions on divisional realignments and standings:

Note: Top 4 teams go into a playoff round until we get a divisional winner. Then we get a crossover for the semi-finals; then finally, the final 2 teams play for the Cup.

*** = playoff team.

Eastern Conference

Canadian
---
1. Toronto ***
2. Calgary ***
3. Vancouver ***
4. Montreal ***
5. Winnipeg
6. Edmonton
7. Ottawa

NOTE: I think the Leafs can take the division, with the Flames close behind. Montreal could make a surprising run, too, especially if it's a shortened season. I see the Canucks and Jets fighting for that last spot... with a regression from the Oilers and another difficult year for the Sens.

North East
---
1. Philadelphia ***
2. Washington ***
3. Boston ***
4. New York Islanders ***
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo
7. Pittsburgh
8. New Jersey

NOTE: Flyers could surprise with a divisional win. Bruins could fall back a little after some key losses, with the Caps still on the forefront. I could see a regression for the Pens, with the Rangers and Buffalo falling just short. Devils in last.

Western Conference

Central
---
1. Tampa Bay ***
2. St. Louis ***
3. Carolina ***
4. Columbus ***
5. Nashville
6. Florida
7. Chicago
8. Minnesota
9. Detroit

NOTE: If this is how the central works out, I could see Tampa winning it, with the Blues finishing right behind them. I think Florida and Minnesota will be the teams that regress, with more dark days for the Wings. The rest should fall within those margins.

Pacific
---
1. Colorado ***
2. Vegas ***
3. Dallas ***
4. San Jose ***
5. Arizona
6. Anaheim
7. Los Angeles

NOTE: I think Colorado handily takes the top of the division, with Vegas, Vegas and Dallas feeding on the 4 other teams to take the top 3 spots. I think San Jose could bounce back this year, as long as everyone stays healthy. Might be another rough year for the other 3 teams.

Playoff Rounds

Round 1:

East:

1. Toronto vs. 4. Montreal -- Montreal in 7.
2. Calgary vs. 3. Vancouver -- Vancover over Calgary in 5.

1. Philadelphia vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Islanders in 6.
2. Washington vs. 3. Boston -- Washington in 7.

West:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 4. Columbus -- Tampa Bay in 6.
2. St. Louis vs. 3. Carolina -- Blues in 7.

1. Colorado vs. 4. San Jose -- Colorado sweeps in 4.
2. Vegas vs. 3. Dallas -- Vegas in 7.

---

Round 2:

East:

3. Vancouver vs. 4. Montreal -- Montreal in 6.
2. Washington vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Islanders in 6.

West:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 2. St. Louis -- Tampa in 5.
1. Colorado vs. 2. Vegas -- Colorado in 7.

---

Eastern Conference Finals:

4. Montreal vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Islanders in 6.

---

Western Conference Finals:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 1. Colorado -- Tampa Bay in 6.

---

Stanley Cup Finals:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Tampa repeats by winning in 5 games.

Now for the actual draft!

My lottery winners, as per my first spin on tankathon: 1. Anaheim [originally pick #4]; 2. Seattle [originally pick #3]; 3. Florida [originally pick #9].

Round 1

1. Anaheim: Owen Power, D
While there's currently no clear-cut consensus for first overall, this Owen Power kid is someone that has quite a good shot at being that guy. After taking Jamie Drysdale last year, they'd love to complement him by adding Power to be his future defense partner. Between the two, they'd honestly feel like they've gotten Pronger and Niedermayer back.

Early Comparison: Victor Hedman. Blessed with excellent size and skating ability for his frame, Power's a two-way force on the ice. He can use his size to play an aggressive style of game, while also adding offense from the blueline.

2. Seattle: Carson Lambos, D
For their first ever selection, the Kraken will likely want someone that's close to stepping and competing for a full-time role, along with someone that can play a #1 defense or center role. Lambos could be that guy, especially when you consider how well he's been playing overseas.

Early Comparison: Drew Doughty. There's some Doughty in his game, in that he's a two-way force with excellent skating, good strength, solid positioning, skill and an impressive all-round game.

3. Florida: Brandt Clarke, D
The third straight defenseman is off the board, with the Panthers in need of a spark on their blueline. With his offensive talent, Clarke is another guy that challenges for first overall. With hockey in Canada in flux, he is/was planning on going oversea to play. It still seems to be the case, but who knows. In any event, it'd give the Panthers another high-end blueliner to play behind Aaron Ekblad.

Early Comparison: Erik Karlsson. He's a pure offensive defenseman that thrives in putting up excellent numbers, especially when manning a powerplay. He's an elite offensive defenseman type.

4. Detroit: Kent Johnson, C
Despite losing the lottery again, the Wings get their potential #1 center. With Johnson going to Michigan, it just makes the pick that much easier. Knowing their love of Swedes, Wallstedt and Edvinsson could definitely be options here, too. However, for this basis of this mock, Johnson could be their guy, shooting for pure skill.

Early Comparison: Elias Pettersson. He's a high-IQ, high-offense, playmaking center that loves to create plays, can score goals and provides an offensive, smart game.

5. Los Angeles: Simon Edvinsson, D
Knowing that their goalie pipeline is thin, they could definitely think hard on drafting Jesper Wallstedt here. That said, they can't pass on going with a Byfield and Edvinsson movement for the future. It gives them a huge center and defenseman with equally amazing mobility.

Early Comparison: Jay Bouwmeester. He's a slick, speedy mobile defenseman with excellent size and a lot of range and dependability in his game. A potential #1 defenseman if all things go right.

6. Minnesota: Matthew Beniers, C/LW
Locking eyes on a potential #1 center, Beniers could be a nice pickup for them, especially if they run with a Beniers-Marco Rossi duo down the middle. He's the latest Michigan player off the board, with the Wild notably loving their American forwards.

Early Comparison: Jonathan Toews. Beniers could become an intriguing, all-around type of center that can be a coach's favorite, able to provide both offense and defense with his high-quality play.

7. Arizona: Forfeit
[Insert The Price is Right horn here.]

8. Chicago: Jesper Wallstedt, G
Granted they selected Drew Commesso last year -- and he's quite good, but they lost out on the chance of Yaroslav Askarov by winning their play-in. If Wallstedt's there, they could straight up select him and let him and Commesso duke it out over who becomes the Blackhawks' goaltender of the future.

Early Comparison: Carey Price. He's got excellent size and is known for his solid technical style of play. He rarely gets flustered, keeping his cool at all times. He's one of the latest batch of wunderkind goalies to come out within the past few years.

9. Ottawa: Dylan Guenther, LW/RW/C
Versatile and with great offensive skill, Guenther seems like the perfect type of selection for the Sens. He's the type of player that can be the trigger-man while playing with Tim Stutzle, which would be the perfect pickup for the Sens.

Early Comparison: Jeff Carter. Non-flashy, goal-scoring, shoot-first type of forward with decent size, two-way play and skating ability. He can put the puck on net from anywhere and is very eager to do so.

10. New Jersey: Luke Hughes, D
They've got Jack Hughes already within their lineup. Why not go and grab his younger brother? Luke's another high-impact defenseman with excellent skill, which would be right up the Devils' alley.

Early Comparison: Thomas Chabot. Like his brothers, Luke's an elite skater, able to move and transition with the puck with ease. Unlike his brothers, he's got decent size, which should benefit him and put him in the running to go even higher.

11. Nashville: Chaz Lucius, LW/C
Needing a goal scorer, Lucius would be a good fit for the Preds, who are known to draft out of American systems. He's one of the elite goal scorers in the draft, giving the Preds the type of player they covet.

Early Comparison: Thomas Vanek. Profiles as an elite goal-scoring type of forward. He's likely a winger as a pro, yet he's capable of playing center. He likes to go to the high-danger areas in order to produce and works hard in close to the net.

12. Minnesota [from Pittsburgh]: Aatu Raty, C
They've gone so long without a bonafide #1 center, that they may as well also select Raty if he's on the board. With the top tiered defenseman gone, taking a chance on Raty keeps their depth down the middle strong. Plus there's always a chance he rebounds from his rough season.

Early Comparison: Alex Steen. Headed into the season, Raty was though of as the #1 pick. He's yet to live up to those declarations, however. As such, he falls out of the top 10.

13. Buffalo: Corson Ceulemans, D
The addition of Taylor Hall, along with a healthy core, could be enough to push the Sabres into playoff contention. Can they actually make it, though? Who knows. For the draft, they could take a chance on Ceuleman, keeping their blueline well-stocked. They've got some left-shooting guys coming up. Maybe a rightie such as Ceuleman would make a nice add.

Early Comparison: John Carlson. He's a big, mobile, rushing defenseman that's capable of a two-way game with a proclivity towards offense.

14. New York Rangers: Zachary Bolduc, C/LW
Bolduc's history with Alexis Lafreniere could earn him bonus points in his favor. If so, the Rangers could give him a chance, hoping the two can find some chemistry. At minimum, it gives them depth down the middle.

Early Comparison: Logan Couture. Bolduc's a shooting/sniping-center, whose skating isn't ideal, yet uses his offense and hockey IQ to provide scoring.

15. Edmonton: Cole Sillinger, LW/C
I'm not sure if the Oilers will make it to the playoffs this year or not. McDavid and Draisaitl will keep it close, I'm sure, but can they fight off overall team regression? In any event, Sillinger might be a nice pickup for them here. Not only if he versatile, but he's a center that can really snipe the puck. They're on record for looking for players with decent size and want depth down the middle. Sillinger could be a good pickup here.

Early Comparison: Sean Monahan. Not an elite skater, it could be of concern, thus knocking him down the board a little. However, he owns an elite-level shot and provides a ton of versatility, as he can play in various roles.

16. Winnipeg: Fabian Lysell, RW
The Jets tend to draft heavily from the Finnish and Swedish areas. Lysell is right within range, so he might be of service to them. They'd love his pure speed and scoring, possibly even reminding them of one of their current players.

Early Comparison: Nikolaj Ehlers. Lysell, like Ehlers, has blazing speed and loves to go to the difficult areas in order to produce. He can be counted on as a goal scorer.

17. San Jose: Daniil Chayka, D
They didn't select a single defenseman in last year's draft. They remedy that by taking Chayka, who'd make a nice addition if he's still on the board. They've never feared selecting Russians, feeling he's got plenty of tools of interest for them.

Early Comparison: Jakob Chychrun. He's a defenseman that brings a lot of raw tools to the table. He can add some two-way play, works hard enough to produce at both ends of the ice and plays in any role thrown to him.

18. Vancouver: Logan Mailloux, D
With Mailloux going overseas to play, it could really boost his draft stock. It wouldn't shock me if he jumped into the top 15 come draft day -- or perhaps even higher. The Canucks, meanwhile, would love a right-shooting defenseman that can keep up the pace with Quinn Hughes.

Early Comparison: Mikhail Sergachyev. A big defenseman that's not afraid to make the risky play, he's known to be a two-way guy that can also play a physical game. Definite top 4 potential if he puts it all together.

19. Columbus: Prokhor Poltapov, LW
They went Russian with their off-the-board pick from the past draft. Why not follow the same guidelines and take Poltapov, whose skill has shone brightly in the early portions of the year.

Early Comparison: Teuvo Teravainen. An undersized, playmaking winger with excellent vision, hands and offensive skillset.

20. Calgary: Zachary L'Heureux, LW
Finding success in the QMJHL these past few years, the Flames go back to Quebec and select the quintessential leader and on-ice warrior, Zachary L'Heureux. After showing positive potential as an on-ice force early in the year, he seems like the type of guy that the Flames and their fans could learn to love.

Early Comparison: Mike Richards. Unrelenting in his play, L'Heureux adds both a pest-like quality, along with some skill and physicality. He can be a menace on the ice to play against, finding himself involved at both ends of the ice.

21. Carolina: Oskar Olausson, LW/RW
Olausson's off to a terrific start early in the season. He's been an absolute goal-scoring dynamo. If he keeps it up, he could see himself rising even higher up the board. For now, the Hurricanes always love their high-upside picks, so he seems like someone they'd love to take on.

Early Comparison: Max Pacioretty. Olausson's a speedy goal scorer that can charge from one end of the rink to the other to put pucks in and on net.

22. Boston: Mackie Samoskevich, RW
I could see the Bruins slipping a little this year. As such, they need an influx of talent. Someone such as Samoskevich seems like he'd make a good addition to them, providing some overall skill and offensive firepower to their forward core.

Early Comparison: Clayton Keller. He isn't huge by any means. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in skill and offensive wizardry.

23. Washington: William Eklund, LW
Eklund's been on a torrid pace to start the year. If he keeps it up, he could definitely find himself in the top 15-20 range. He's nailing the opportunity and ice-time given to him, with Washington being the potential benefactors.

Early Comparison: Travis Konecny. He's an undersized forward that likes to get in the trenches, works hard to produce and can put points on the board by playing with similarily skilled players.

24. St. Louis: Xavier Bourgault, RW
If Bourgault's still on the board, they may be hard-pressed to pass on him. He's got an impressive offensive skillset, with the Blues willing to give him a shot to see if he has what it takes to make the jump to the pro ranks.

Early Comparison: David Perron. Last year, he blew up the QMJHL and he hopes to continue this success into this season. There's a good chance he rises, as long as he keeps providing offense.

25. Dallas: Samu Tuomala, RW
In the last draft, they went with pure skill in drafting Mavrik Bourque. They fit the same style here by selecting Tuomala, an undersized, yet highly skilled Finnish winger. Despite their usual affinity towards bigger players, they've also shown a liking towards Finns, with Tuomala being someone that interest them.

Early Comparison: Evgenii Dadonov. He's a smaller, skilled winger that loves to play an offensive, scoring style of game.

26. Vegas: Scott Morrow, D
In need of some depth on their blueline, Morrow could be a good pickup for long-term potential. He's coming from high school, so there's risk with him that may ultimately keep him out of the first round... but there's also a lot of skill and appeal.

Early Comparison: Shea Theodore. A smooth-skating offensive defenseman with nice size and ability to play a pivotal role on the backend, just as long as he continues to develop.

27. Philadelphia: Simon Robertsson, RW
The Flyers tend to go with skill for their first round selections. Robertsson's one of the best players left on the board. They've often turned towards Sweden for players in their pipeline in the past, they follow suit here.

Early Comparison: Reilly Smith. He's a skilled, two-way winger that can bring offense, skill and all-around smarts.

28. Toronto: Francesco Pinelli, C/LW
Looking for a guy with some jump in his game, Pinelli seems like a good, complementary piece for a team like the Leafs. He's the type of player that'd work extremely hard to provide good two-way play.

Early Comparison: JT Miller. He brings a combination of size, speed, physicality and a hard-working, competent game. Able to play a role as a winger or a center makes him a valuable option.

29. Montreal: Mason McTavish, LW
First off, I'm a Habs fan. It wouldn't surprise me if they go on a long playoff run in a short season. ...It also wouldn't shock me if they plummeted to the bottom of the rankings, as well. For now, I'll stand by my prediction and have them targeting McTavish, who could drop a little due to concerns over consistency. With the Habs needing more goal scorers, he could be a nice fit.

Early Comparison: James Neal. Like Neal, McTavish is a pure goal scorer with decent size. He loves shooting the puck anywhere and from all places, while also facing similar consistency problems.

30. Colorado: Sasha Pastujov, RW/LW
The Avs could use a few more guys on the wing. Pastujov might be an option here, with Colorado hoping to maintain their depth. They have a strong group so far, adding Pastujov's skills could be a nice option to give them a 2nd line playmaking winger.

Early Comparison: Ryan Strome. Pastujov's a skilled winger with good playmaking skill. He isn't a fleet skater, making up for that with his good hands, vision and puck skills.

31. New York Islanders: Samu Salminen, C/RW
Needing depth down the middle, the Isles take a chance on Salminen, who's got plenty of tools. He's a power-center that focuses on skill first. He may top out as a middle-six center, which is exactly what they need.

Early Comparison: Brock Nelson. A center-winger with skill and two-way ability. He'll be a worthwhile project thanks to his combination of size and skill.

32. Tampa Bay: Nikita Chibrikov, RW
They've spent the past few years focusing on adding some role players to help them compete. Maybe they could now select a purely skilled player such as Chibrikov. They've found success with Russians in the past. Perhaps they stick to their guns and go for another talented Russian.

Early Comparison: Kevin Fiala. A pure speedy, offensive creator that isn't afraid to get his nose dirty despite not being the biggest in size.

Just missing the cut: Isak Rosen; Matthew Knies; Brennan Othmann; Stanislav Svozil; Anton Olsson; Zachary Dean; Sasha Pastujov; Artyom Grushnikov; Kirill Kirsanov

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
regression from the Oilers?? :laugh: they should now have a much better group of secondary scorers than they had last year with Turris, Kahun, Ennis and Puljujarvi being re-signed and adding a point producer on the back end in Barrie, who'll likely be replacing injured Klefbom this season. i see no regression, sorry ! o_O

like the Cole Sillinger pick though ! :thumbu:

PostFriend

Nov 3, 2016
I really love this Much Drafts. Nice work!
Btw, Yzerman will never pass on pick Wallstedt early in this draft if he has the opportunity.
Just so you know...

Reactions: newdimension

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Making the playoffs to be swept would be pretty sucky. I dont think the sharks win a playoff series, but I dont think they lose quite that hard.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Like your picks but not quite on the Mailloux Hype Train yet....while he lit it up in Jr B, he has only had 4 games in OHL (held pointless). He absolutely has huge upside but a First Rounder? Let’s have him accomplish something at next level before he cracks the Top 30s

Reactions: LDN

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
With the way covid's been exploding, who knows when we're going to get regular hockey back full-time or even have the draft. All that being said, some leagues are in the middle of seasons... some haven't started... there's a lot of questions left. So, what better way to fill the time and boredom... than by doing a mock draft for a season that's in complete disarray and may never start!

This one's a little different though. With the world tits up, I'm going to give my own personal standings on how I think things will turn out. That includes revamped divisions that are based on regions, which I'll also include.

As per usual, all notes and comparisons are preliminary. Especially the comparables. Since everything is all over the board, it's hard to get a good, solid read on these guys, some of which that haven't even started their season. As always, I'm not a scout and I don't get to see every player. It's just a fun project I like to do... plus I've got a lot of free time, especially as of late.

Anyhow, my guesses/predictions on divisional realignments and standings:

Note: Top 4 teams go into a playoff round until we get a divisional winner. Then we get a crossover for the semi-finals; then finally, the final 2 teams play for the Cup.

*** = playoff team.

Eastern Conference

Canadian
---
1. Toronto ***
2. Calgary ***
3. Vancouver ***
4. Montreal ***
5. Winnipeg
6. Edmonton
7. Ottawa

NOTE: I think the Leafs can take the division, with the Flames close behind. Montreal could make a surprising run, too, especially if it's a shortened season. I see the Canucks and Jets fighting for that last spot... with a regression from the Oilers and another difficult year for the Sens.

North East
---
1. Philadelphia ***
2. Washington ***
3. Boston ***
4. New York Islanders ***
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo
7. Pittsburgh
8. New Jersey

NOTE: Flyers could surprise with a divisional win. Bruins could fall back a little after some key losses, with the Caps still on the forefront. I could see a regression for the Pens, with the Rangers and Buffalo falling just short. Devils in last.

Western Conference

Central
---
1. Tampa Bay ***
2. St. Louis ***
3. Carolina ***
4. Columbus ***
5. Nashville
6. Florida
7. Chicago
8. Minnesota
9. Detroit

NOTE: If this is how the central works out, I could see Tampa winning it, with the Blues finishing right behind them. I think Florida and Minnesota will be the teams that regress, with more dark days for the Wings. The rest should fall within those margins.

Pacific
---
1. Colorado ***
2. Vegas ***
3. Dallas ***
4. San Jose ***
5. Arizona
6. Anaheim
7. Los Angeles

NOTE: I think Colorado handily takes the top of the division, with Vegas, Vegas and Dallas feeding on the 4 other teams to take the top 3 spots. I think San Jose could bounce back this year, as long as everyone stays healthy. Might be another rough year for the other 3 teams.

Playoff Rounds

Round 1:

East:

1. Toronto vs. 4. Montreal -- Montreal in 7.
2. Calgary vs. 3. Vancouver -- Vancover over Calgary in 5.

1. Philadelphia vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Islanders in 6.
2. Washington vs. 3. Boston -- Washington in 7.

West:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 4. Columbus -- Tampa Bay in 6.
2. St. Louis vs. 3. Carolina -- Blues in 7.

1. Colorado vs. 4. San Jose -- Colorado sweeps in 4.
2. Vegas vs. 3. Dallas -- Vegas in 7.

---

Round 2:

East:

3. Vancouver vs. 4. Montreal -- Montreal in 6.
2. Washington vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Islanders in 6.

West:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 2. St. Louis -- Tampa in 5.
1. Colorado vs. 2. Vegas -- Colorado in 7.

---

Eastern Conference Finals:

4. Montreal vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Islanders in 6.

---

Western Conference Finals:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 1. Colorado -- Tampa Bay in 6.

---

Stanley Cup Finals:

1. Tampa Bay vs. 4. New York Islanders -- Tampa repeats by winning in 5 games.

Now for the actual draft!

My lottery winners, as per my first spin on tankathon: 1. Anaheim [originally pick #4]; 2. Seattle [originally pick #3]; 3. Florida [originally pick #9].

Round 1

1. Anaheim: Owen Power, D
While there's currently no clear-cut consensus for first overall, this Owen Power kid is someone that has quite a good shot at being that guy. After taking Jamie Drysdale last year, they'd love to complement him by adding Power to be his future defense partner. Between the two, they'd honestly feel like they've gotten Pronger and Niedermayer back.

Early Comparison: Victor Hedman. Blessed with excellent size and skating ability for his frame, Power's a two-way force on the ice. He can use his size to play an aggressive style of game, while also adding offense from the blueline.

2. Seattle: Carson Lambos, D
For their first ever selection, the Kraken will likely want someone that's close to stepping and competing for a full-time role, along with someone that can play a #1 defense or center role. Lambos could be that guy, especially when you consider how well he's been playing overseas.

Early Comparison: Drew Doughty. There's some Doughty in his game, in that he's a two-way force with excellent skating, good strength, solid positioning, skill and an impressive all-round game.

3. Florida: Brandt Clarke, D
The third straight defenseman is off the board, with the Panthers in need of a spark on their blueline. With his offensive talent, Clarke is another guy that challenges for first overall. With hockey in Canada in flux, he is/was planning on going oversea to play. It still seems to be the case, but who knows. In any event, it'd give the Panthers another high-end blueliner to play behind Aaron Ekblad.

Early Comparison: Erik Karlsson. He's a pure offensive defenseman that thrives in putting up excellent numbers, especially when manning a powerplay. He's an elite offensive defenseman type.

4. Detroit: Kent Johnson, C
Despite losing the lottery again, the Wings get their potential #1 center. With Johnson going to Michigan, it just makes the pick that much easier. Knowing their love of Swedes, Wallstedt and Edvinsson could definitely be options here, too. However, for this basis of this mock, Johnson could be their guy, shooting for pure skill.

Early Comparison: Elias Pettersson. He's a high-IQ, high-offense, playmaking center that loves to create plays, can score goals and provides an offensive, smart game.

5. Los Angeles: Simon Edvinsson, D
Knowing that their goalie pipeline is thin, they could definitely think hard on drafting Jesper Wallstedt here. That said, they can't pass on going with a Byfield and Edvinsson movement for the future. It gives them a huge center and defenseman with equally amazing mobility.

Early Comparison: Jay Bouwmeester. He's a slick, speedy mobile defenseman with excellent size and a lot of range and dependability in his game. A potential #1 defenseman if all things go right.

6. Minnesota: Matthew Beniers, C/LW
Locking eyes on a potential #1 center, Beniers could be a nice pickup for them, especially if they run with a Beniers-Marco Rossi duo down the middle. He's the latest Michigan player off the board, with the Wild notably loving their American forwards.

Early Comparison: Jonathan Toews. Beniers could become an intriguing, all-around type of center that can be a coach's favorite, able to provide both offense and defense with his high-quality play.

7. Arizona: Forfeit
[Insert The Price is Right horn here.]

8. Chicago: Jesper Wallstedt, G
Granted they selected Drew Commesso last year -- and he's quite good, but they lost out on the chance of Yaroslav Askarov by winning their play-in. If Wallstedt's there, they could straight up select him and let him and Commesso duke it out over who becomes the Blackhawks' goaltender of the future.

Early Comparison: Carey Price. He's got excellent size and is known for his solid technical style of play. He rarely gets flustered, keeping his cool at all times. He's one of the latest batch of wunderkind goalies to come out within the past few years.

9. Ottawa: Dylan Guenther, LW/RW/C
Versatile and with great offensive skill, Guenther seems like the perfect type of selection for the Sens. He's the type of player that can be the trigger-man while playing with Tim Stutzle, which would be the perfect pickup for the Sens.

Early Comparison: Jeff Carter. Non-flashy, goal-scoring, shoot-first type of forward with decent size, two-way play and skating ability. He can put the puck on net from anywhere and is very eager to do so.

10. New Jersey: Luke Hughes, D
They've got Jack Hughes already within their lineup. Why not go and grab his younger brother? Luke's another high-impact defenseman with excellent skill, which would be right up the Devils' alley.

Early Comparison: Thomas Chabot. Like his brothers, Luke's an elite skater, able to move and transition with the puck with ease. Unlike his brothers, he's got decent size, which should benefit him and put him in the running to go even higher.

11. Nashville: Chaz Lucius, LW/C
Needing a goal scorer, Lucius would be a good fit for the Preds, who are known to draft out of American systems. He's one of the elite goal scorers in the draft, giving the Preds the type of player they covet.

Early Comparison: Thomas Vanek. Profiles as an elite goal-scoring type of forward. He's likely a winger as a pro, yet he's capable of playing center. He likes to go to the high-danger areas in order to produce and works hard in close to the net.

12. Minnesota [from Pittsburgh]: Aatu Raty, C
They've gone so long without a bonafide #1 center, that they may as well also select Raty if he's on the board. With the top tiered defenseman gone, taking a chance on Raty keeps their depth down the middle strong. Plus there's always a chance he rebounds from his rough season.

Early Comparison: Alex Steen. Headed into the season, Raty was though of as the #1 pick. He's yet to live up to those declarations, however. As such, he falls out of the top 10.

13. Buffalo: Corson Ceulemans, D
The addition of Taylor Hall, along with a healthy core, could be enough to push the Sabres into playoff contention. Can they actually make it, though? Who knows. For the draft, they could take a chance on Ceuleman, keeping their blueline well-stocked. They've got some left-shooting guys coming up. Maybe a rightie such as Ceuleman would make a nice add.

Early Comparison: John Carlson. He's a big, mobile, rushing defenseman that's capable of a two-way game with a proclivity towards offense.

14. New York Rangers: Zachary Bolduc, C/LW
Bolduc's history with Alexis Lafreniere could earn him bonus points in his favor. If so, the Rangers could give him a chance, hoping the two can find some chemistry. At minimum, it gives them depth down the middle.

Early Comparison: Logan Couture. Bolduc's a shooting/sniping-center, whose skating isn't ideal, yet uses his offense and hockey IQ to provide scoring.

15. Edmonton: Cole Sillinger, LW/C
I'm not sure if the Oilers will make it to the playoffs this year or not. McDavid and Draisaitl will keep it close, I'm sure, but can they fight off overall team regression? In any event, Sillinger might be a nice pickup for them here. Not only if he versatile, but he's a center that can really snipe the puck. They're on record for looking for players with decent size and want depth down the middle. Sillinger could be a good pickup here.

Early Comparison: Sean Monahan. Not an elite skater, it could be of concern, thus knocking him down the board a little. However, he owns an elite-level shot and provides a ton of versatility, as he can play in various roles.

16. Winnipeg: Fabian Lysell, RW
The Jets tend to draft heavily from the Finnish and Swedish areas. Lysell is right within range, so he might be of service to them. They'd love his pure speed and scoring, possibly even reminding them of one of their current players.

Early Comparison: Nikolaj Ehlers. Lysell, like Ehlers, has blazing speed and loves to go to the difficult areas in order to produce. He can be counted on as a goal scorer.

17. San Jose: Daniil Chayka, D
They didn't select a single defenseman in last year's draft. They remedy that by taking Chayka, who'd make a nice addition if he's still on the board. They've never feared selecting Russians, feeling he's got plenty of tools of interest for them.

Early Comparison: Jakob Chychrun. He's a defenseman that brings a lot of raw tools to the table. He can add some two-way play, works hard enough to produce at both ends of the ice and plays in any role thrown to him.

18. Vancouver: Logan Mailloux, D
With Mailloux going overseas to play, it could really boost his draft stock. It wouldn't shock me if he jumped into the top 15 come draft day -- or perhaps even higher. The Canucks, meanwhile, would love a right-shooting defenseman that can keep up the pace with Quinn Hughes.

Early Comparison: Mikhail Sergachyev. A big defenseman that's not afraid to make the risky play, he's known to be a two-way guy that can also play a physical game. Definite top 4 potential if he puts it all together.

19. Columbus: Prokhor Poltapov, LW
They went Russian with their off-the-board pick from the past draft. Why not follow the same guidelines and take Poltapov, whose skill has shone brightly in the early portions of the year.

Early Comparison: Teuvo Teravainen. An undersized, playmaking winger with excellent vision, hands and offensive skillset.

20. Calgary: Zachary L'Heureux, LW
Finding success in the QMJHL these past few years, the Flames go back to Quebec and select the quintessential leader and on-ice warrior, Zachary L'Heureux. After showing positive potential as an on-ice force early in the year, he seems like the type of guy that the Flames and their fans could learn to love.

Early Comparison: Mike Richards. Unrelenting in his play, L'Heureux adds both a pest-like quality, along with some skill and physicality. He can be a menace on the ice to play against, finding himself involved at both ends of the ice.

21. Carolina: Oskar Olausson, LW/RW
Olausson's off to a terrific start early in the season. He's been an absolute goal-scoring dynamo. If he keeps it up, he could see himself rising even higher up the board. For now, the Hurricanes always love their high-upside picks, so he seems like someone they'd love to take on.

Early Comparison: Max Pacioretty. Olausson's a speedy goal scorer that can charge from one end of the rink to the other to put pucks in and on net.

22. Boston: Mackie Samoskevich, RW
I could see the Bruins slipping a little this year. As such, they need an influx of talent. Someone such as Samoskevich seems like he'd make a good addition to them, providing some overall skill and offensive firepower to their forward core.

Early Comparison: Clayton Keller. He isn't huge by any means. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in skill and offensive wizardry.

23. Washington: William Eklund, LW
Eklund's been on a torrid pace to start the year. If he keeps it up, he could definitely find himself in the top 15-20 range. He's nailing the opportunity and ice-time given to him, with Washington being the potential benefactors.

Early Comparison: Travis Konecny. He's an undersized forward that likes to get in the trenches, works hard to produce and can put points on the board by playing with similarily skilled players.

24. St. Louis: Xavier Bourgault, RW
If Bourgault's still on the board, they may be hard-pressed to pass on him. He's got an impressive offensive skillset, with the Blues willing to give him a shot to see if he has what it takes to make the jump to the pro ranks.

Early Comparison: David Perron. Last year, he blew up the QMJHL and he hopes to continue this success into this season. There's a good chance he rises, as long as he keeps providing offense.

25. Dallas: Samu Tuomala, RW
In the last draft, they went with pure skill in drafting Mavrik Bourque. They fit the same style here by selecting Tuomala, an undersized, yet highly skilled Finnish winger. Despite their usual affinity towards bigger players, they've also shown a liking towards Finns, with Tuomala being someone that interest them.

Early Comparison: Evgenii Dadonov. He's a smaller, skilled winger that loves to play an offensive, scoring style of game.

26. Vegas: Scott Morrow, D
In need of some depth on their blueline, Morrow could be a good pickup for long-term potential. He's coming from high school, so there's risk with him that may ultimately keep him out of the first round... but there's also a lot of skill and appeal.

Early Comparison: Shea Theodore. A smooth-skating offensive defenseman with nice size and ability to play a pivotal role on the backend, just as long as he continues to develop.

27. Philadelphia: Simon Robertsson, RW
The Flyers tend to go with skill for their first round selections. Robertsson's one of the best players left on the board. They've often turned towards Sweden for players in their pipeline in the past, they follow suit here.

Early Comparison: Reilly Smith. He's a skilled, two-way winger that can bring offense, skill and all-around smarts.

28. Toronto: Francesco Pinelli, C/LW
Looking for a guy with some jump in his game, Pinelli seems like a good, complementary piece for a team like the Leafs. He's the type of player that'd work extremely hard to provide good two-way play.

Early Comparison: JT Miller. He brings a combination of size, speed, physicality and a hard-working, competent game. Able to play a role as a winger or a center makes him a valuable option.

29. Montreal: Mason McTavish, LW
First off, I'm a Habs fan. It wouldn't surprise me if they go on a long playoff run in a short season. ...It also wouldn't shock me if they plummeted to the bottom of the rankings, as well. For now, I'll stand by my prediction and have them targeting McTavish, who could drop a little due to concerns over consistency. With the Habs needing more goal scorers, he could be a nice fit.

Early Comparison: James Neal. Like Neal, McTavish is a pure goal scorer with decent size. He loves shooting the puck anywhere and from all places, while also facing similar consistency problems.

30. Colorado: Sasha Pastujov, RW/LW
The Avs could use a few more guys on the wing. Pastujov might be an option here, with Colorado hoping to maintain their depth. They have a strong group so far, adding Pastujov's skills could be a nice option to give them a 2nd line playmaking winger.

Early Comparison: Ryan Strome. Pastujov's a skilled winger with good playmaking skill. He isn't a fleet skater, making up for that with his good hands, vision and puck skills.

31. New York Islanders: Samu Salminen, C/RW
Needing depth down the middle, the Isles take a chance on Salminen, who's got plenty of tools. He's a power-center that focuses on skill first. He may top out as a middle-six center, which is exactly what they need.

Early Comparison: Brock Nelson. A center-winger with skill and two-way ability. He'll be a worthwhile project thanks to his combination of size and skill.

32. Tampa Bay: Nikita Chibrikov, RW
They've spent the past few years focusing on adding some role players to help them compete. Maybe they could now select a purely skilled player such as Chibrikov. They've found success with Russians in the past. Perhaps they stick to their guns and go for another talented Russian.

Early Comparison: Kevin Fiala. A pure speedy, offensive creator that isn't afraid to get his nose dirty despite not being the biggest in size.

Just missing the cut: Isak Rosen; Matthew Knies; Brennan Othmann; Stanislav Svozil; Anton Olsson; Zachary Dean; Sasha Pastujov; Artyom Grushnikov; Kirill Kirsanov

For Detroit, I don't hate it at all, although them getting 4th is fitting.

Also, on HM, you have Sasha Pastujov who you had at 30.

Good list, thanks.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
If Nashville is bad once again I would hope they add a D-man in this draft, I’m expecting we somehow either lose Ekholm to Seattle or lose him in free agency so having that backup top D prospect would be nice. Fun read op u put some effort in making a cool mock draft :thumbu:

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
regression from the Oilers?? :laugh: they should now have a much better group of secondary scorers than they had last year with Turris, Kahun, Ennis and Puljujarvi being re-signed and adding a point producer on the back end in Barrie, who'll likely be replacing injured Klefbom this season. i see no regression, sorry ! o_O

like the Cole Sillinger pick though ! :thumbu:
I don't see how Turris/Ennis/Kahun instantly improves the team, all three of them were picked up for a song and there's a reason for that. Especially Turris, his career is in a downspin. Barrie is not an upgrade on Klefbom, and Puljujarvi is a huge question mark. The Oilers have not improved at all, I wish they had because I really want to see their dynamic duo perform in the playoffs.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I don't see how Turris/Ennis/Kahun instantly improves the team, all three of them were picked up for a song and there's a reason for that. Especially Turris, his career is in a downspin. Barrie is not an upgrade on Klefbom, and Puljujarvi is a huge question mark. The Oilers have not improved at all, I wish they had because I really want to see their dynamic duo perform in the playoffs.

First off, Turris/Ennis/Kahun were signed because of what they bring to the table in a **support** scoring role....nobody is thinking that any of these guys is gonna be a "big scorer" for the Oilers, although at just 31 there's a chance that Turris still could be. and it was mentioned quite clearly that Barrie will be a more than adequate replacement for Klefbom, not an upgrade!

and yes, all of us Oiler fans know that Jesse is still a gamble! my point is that the Oilers certainly have not regressed at all roster wise and although they may have made sideways moves, there a very good chance that with better support scoring than last year, which has now been addressed, that they could be even better! o_O

Reactions: McSuper and ManByng

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Fun thread, and now that the season is closer there's a bit more info to play with regarding potential rosters etc.

With Toews and Dach out, I think the Hawks will be strong contenders for first overall. I'd still put the Wings as heavy favorites to finish last and win the lotto though, with Seattle, NJ, CHI and LA rounding out the top five:

1. DET- Power. Imagine Raymond-Larkin-Mantha-Power-Seider as a starting five for the future. Gross.
2. SEA- Clarke. RHD with his skillset are hard to come by in this league and he'll play a long time.
3. CHI- Johnson. Fits really well with their core and his ability to shift to wing could be an advantage as he acclimates to the NHL. Kubalik-Dach-Kane/Strome-Johnson-DeBrincat is a really strong future top six.
4. NJD- Hughes. The Devils have a lot of riches at LD, but adding another great young blueliner is never a bad thing and of course he's a Hughes brother.
5. LAK- Lambos. Can see him going higher for sure but if he's still there LA takes him and runs.

6-10 could be the following in really any order:

6. OTT- Beniers. Had a great WJC, and was playing well in college before that. A nice center to cap off their rebuild.
7. ANH- Edvinsson. Ducks are a developmental powerhouse for D and Edvinsson could be a special defender with the right tutelage.
8. MIN- Wallstedt. Wild have a nice stable of young forwards to build around, now need a franchise goalie.
9. NSH- Guenther. He's the kind of hard-working two-way forward the Preds have coveted forever.
10. BUF- Eklund. No, I don't think Hall's enough to get them out of the basement. Eklund is a darn nice consolation prize though if they miss the playoffs again though.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Like your picks but not quite on the Mailloux Hype Train yet....while he lit it up in Jr B, he has only had 4 games in OHL (held pointless). He absolutely has huge upside but a First Rounder? Let’s have him accomplish something at next level before he cracks the Top 30s
I love it....kid has huge potential!!! DOing well overseas also 8 points in 12 games

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
Fun thread, and now that the season is closer there's a bit more info to play with regarding potential rosters etc.

With Toews and Dach out, I think the Hawks will be strong contenders for first overall. I'd still put the Wings as heavy favorites to finish last and win the lotto though, with Seattle, NJ, CHI and LA rounding out the top five:

1. DET- Power. Imagine Raymond-Larkin-Mantha-Power-Seider as a starting five for the future. Gross.
2. SEA- Clarke. RHD with his skillset are hard to come by in this league and he'll play a long time.
3. CHI- Johnson. Fits really well with their core and his ability to shift to wing could be an advantage as he acclimates to the NHL. Kubalik-Dach-Kane/Strome-Johnson-DeBrincat is a really strong future top six.
4. NJD- Hughes. The Devils have a lot of riches at LD, but adding another great young blueliner is never a bad thing and of course he's a Hughes brother.
5. LAK- Lambos. Can see him going higher for sure but if he's still there LA takes him and runs.

6-10 could be the following in really any order:

6. OTT- Beniers. Had a great WJC, and was playing well in college before that. A nice center to cap off their rebuild.
7. ANH- Edvinsson. Ducks are a developmental powerhouse for D and Edvinsson could be a special defender with the right tutelage.
8. MIN- Wallstedt. Wild have a nice stable of young forwards to build around, now need a franchise goalie.
9. NSH- Guenther. He's the kind of hard-working two-way forward the Preds have coveted forever.
10. BUF- Eklund. No, I don't think Hall's enough to get them out of the basement. Eklund is a darn nice consolation prize though if they miss the playoffs again though.

Beniers would be a great pick for the Sens and a player that fits what the Sens are going towards. He reminds me of Pageau's passion and drive and Stone's fire and intensity.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

100% with you on this one. Really have not seen what he will look like at the OHL level even? Big step from B to A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad