The way things ought to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Heres my take on the 2004 entry draft and the way things should pan out, not the way they will. I took into account teams needs when I felt a defenseman and a forward were equal in my book. I only picked 'tenders for teams I felt had a serious need.

1 Washington - Alex Ovechkin: if Malkin is picked here, i'm siegeing the MCI center

2 Pittsburgh - Evgeni Malkin: He is 1a in some scouts books based on potential. I can't disagree, although I feel Ovechkin is a more complete player right now.

3 Chicago - Rotislav Olesz: First line center potential and hes a safe pick. He and Ruutu could form a formidable 1-2 center punch in the future.

4 Columbus - Lauri Tukonen: Another safe pick with First line potential. I know everyone thinks Barker will go here if available, but it just doesn't make sense to pick based on need when you pick this high. I think Tukonen is the bpa.

5 Phoenix - Andrew Ladd: Heard the rumors, don't believe them.

6 NY Rangers - Cam Barker: I think that he is the bpa, and that Sather will be glad to add him to the already impressive young blueline corp that is developing in NY.

7 Florida - Alexander Radulov: I know Keenan dislikes Euros, but he'd be stupid to pass up Radulov @ 7. In my mind, he's obviously the bpa.

8 Carolina - A.J. Thelen: They could use a quality Defenseman, and I believe Thelen is the 2nd best in this draft.

9 Anaheim - Robbie Schremp: As talented as anyone in this draft. 'Nuff said.

10 Atlanta - Andrej Mezaros: Could be a top pairing partner for Coburn for years to come. I believe the hype about this kid. To be selected to play in the WCs as an 18 year old is impressive, especially considering the Slovaks have a couple of defensemen in the NHL that he surpassed(maybe...)

11 Los Angeles - Marek Schwarz: As good a goaltending prospect as Ouellet, Emery and Leneveu in my mind, just not as far along in his development.

12 Minnesota - Alex Picard: In my mind, clearly the BPA

13 Buffalo - Drew Stafford: Buffalo fans might prefer Smid, but I think Stafford is a safer pick and a better player.

14 Edmonton - Ladislav Smid: I'm not that impressed with Montoya, and I think Smid can develop his shot and use his intelligence to QB the PP for EDM in the future.

15 Nashville - Wojtek Wolski: In my mind, clearly the BPA

16 NY Islanders - Kyle Chipchura: Again, can't pass up what is clearly the BPA

17 St. Louis - Enver Lisin: He has the skill to develop into a first line forward for St.Louis. Electrifying moves and shot.

18 Montreal - Boris Valabik: Gainey is glad to add strength, size and intimidation to his skilled group of players.

19 Calgary - Lauri Korpikoski: I believe the hype. Stellar performance @ the WJC-18 championship. Showed some brilliant moves and has quite a set of tools. He also has the physicality and discipline to be a checker if his skills don't develop. Could go quite a bit higher.

20 Dallas - Mike Green: Great solid d-man with offensive upside. Dallas is lucky to grab him here.

21 Colorado - Dave Bolland: Solid playmaker. I have he and Lyamin rated equally and Colorado has a dire need of forward prospects.

22 New Jersey - Kirill Lyamin: Doesn't have the offensive skills of Stevens, but is his spiritual sucessor without the puck. God I wish this kid falls to Mcphee and he has the wisdom to take him @ 27.

23 Ottawa - Roman Voloshenko: The BPA available in my book. Could develop into a nice top six forward for Muckler and the Sens.

24 NY Rangers - Jakub Sindel: A flashy forward, could be a 1st liner if he develops consistentcy

25 Edmonton - Alvaro Montoya: Miracle of Miracles, Montoya falls to Edmontons 2nd pick. Could develop into a good starting goalie. From all accounts, he is a great athlete.

26 Vancouver - Lukas Kaspar: Could develop into a 2nd liner. Already has good grit.

27 Washington - Johan Fransson: Very mature defenseman with good offensive touch.

28 San Jose - Devan Dubnyk: Unless i'm mistaken, SJ doesn't have a quality 'tender under 27 years of age. Sure they have a couple of Middlin' prospects, but I feel Dubnyk has much more potential.

29 Washington - Jeff Schultz: Could be a home run pick if he develops a need to hurt people. Good offensive upside and is positionally sound.

30 Tampa Bay - Cory Schneider: Arguably the 3rd best goaltending prospect. Like Dubnyk, he could become a good starting goaltender.

So, who did I forget, who do you disagree with, and what mistakes did I make.

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
Captain Conservative said:
28 San Jose - Devan Dubnyk: Unless i'm mistaken, SJ doesn't have a quality 'tender under 27 years of age. Sure they have a couple of Middlin' prospects, but I feel Dubnyk has much more potential.

it's unlikely that the sharks will take a goalie in the first. nabokov and toskala are still young, and patzold and ehelechner are decent prospects. a more pressing need may be a skilled or power forward. sharks may take a goalie in the 2nd or later though.

Divine Wind

As an oiler fan, i woudl love to see us acquire Montoya with the 25th overall, but it simply won't happen. Montoya/Schwarz will be hard pressed to slip out fo the top 15.

As for Smid, i can't see us taking a defenseman with our 1st pick in the first round, unless his name is Cam Barker.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Dr_Gonz0 said:
As an oiler fan, i woudl love to see us acquire Montoya with the 25th overall, but it simply won't happen. Montoya/Schwarz will be hard pressed to slip out fo the top 15.

As for Smid, i can't see us taking a defenseman with our 1st pick in the first round, unless his name is Cam Barker.

Thats cool. I just think that Montoya isn't all that wonderful. Also, not everyone believes in picking the best player available, which I think Smid is. You can never have enough good young defensemen. Look at Calgary.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'd be surprised if there weren't some big surprises on draft day---there usually are---but I certainly wouldn't complain if Schremp wound up in a Ducks uniform. Unless he is a "total headcase", the Ducks would be foolish to pass on him.

I think Schremp is one of the biggest X factors in the draft. I can see him going anywhere from about 5th to 18th or so. He could be one of the biggest "steals" in the draft.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Kick Save said:
I'd be surprised if there weren't some big surprises on draft day---there usually are---but I certainly wouldn't complain if Schremp wound up in a Ducks uniform. Unless he is a "total headcase", the Ducks would be foolish to pass on him.

I think Schremp is one of the biggest X factors in the draft. I can see him going anywhere from about 5th to 18th or so. He could be one of the biggest "steals" in the draft.

Absolutely agree. It all depends on how teams view his attitude and work ethic. Personally I think it would be foolish for the ducks to pass him up @ 9. After schremp, theres a clear dropoff in talent.

guitaraholic*

I'd be shocked - SHOCKED - to see the Blues take Lisin over Korpikoski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad