TV: The Way The Simpsons Was: in which I talk about my top 10 episodes for some reason

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
*tie*

#2. Bart Gets an F

.... shows us that when a character has a deep emotional investment in something, so do we (great writing also helps)

bartgetsf.png

Bart Gets an F is an episode that makes me happy just thinking about it. It feels like it exists outside of the rest of the show, as never again will Bart care this much about passing a test. I really like how the episode shows how much the outside world plays a role in setting Bart up to fail, from Ms. Krabapple not being all that encouraging to Homer dragging Bart away from studying to watch Big Gorilla Week on TV. Even some of Bart's peers are against him, with Sherri and Terri purposely giving him wrong answers and Martin betraying him once he gets a taste of the joys of being a prankster (Martin is great in this episode). And Bart's breakdown is some phenomenal acting from Nancy Cartwright. This episode one-ups seasons 1's Bart the Genius to a ridiculous degree, mainly because of Bart's emotional investment in passing his test. Despite being about a child agonizing over being considered a failure, it's such a warm episode filled with compassion towards its central character.

Top Scenes

Very HMs:

An Afternoon with Ernest Hemingway: Reflections by Martin

and

Bart's talk with Otto about repeating the fourth grade. Otto: "I got held back in the fourth grade myself. Twice. And look at me, man. Now I drive the school bus!"

and

Homer watches Big Gorilla Week with Bart.

Homer: *crying* "It's so unfair. Just because he's different."

The "Happiest Day in Springfield" snow day scene that Bart misses out on

Bart's prayer to God to help him out.

Lisa: "Prayer: the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Bart breaks down in tears after failing yet again.

Everything to do with Martin helping Bart out and vice versa, from Martin thinking that he's more respected among his peers than he actually is to him betraying Bart in the end.

"I heard you last night, Bart. You prayed for this. Now your prayer has been answered. I'm no theologian. I don't know who or what God is exactly. All I know is that he's a force more powerful than Mom and Dad put together and you own him big."

bart-gets-an-f.png

Last edited:

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
You know what? Bart Gets an F and I Married Marge are tied for second. They're both too good. I'll be back tomorrow with my #1.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You know what? Bart Gets an F and I Married Marge are tied for second. They're both too good. I'll be back tomorrow with my #1.

Hopefully it's Cape Feare or You Only Move Twice.

But judging by the fact that you put a premium on the "feels", maybe something like Mother Simpson.

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
This may already be common knowledge, but.. Hoffman used a pseudonym in his credit for this episode, Sam Etic (play on 'semitic'). As a dramatic actor, Hoffman was worried about having a (perceived) goofy cartoon on his resumé. Seems a funny miscalculation in hindsight..
'Lisa's Substitute' is one of my favorites, along with the episode where Homer was in the B-sharps quartet.. (don't remember episode title).

Reactions: cjerina

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
This may already be common knowledge, but.. Hoffman used a pseudonym in his credit for this episode, Sam Etic (play on 'semitic'). As a dramatic actor, Hoffman was worried about having a (perceived) goofy cartoon on his resumé. Seems a funny miscalculation in hindsight..
'Lisa's Substitute' is one of my favorites, along with the episode where Homer was in the B-sharps quartet.. (don't remember episode title).

200w.webp

Very silly of Hoffman to do that, why even take the job in the first place?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't like it at all.

But I tend to rate Simpsons episodes on their comedic value and don't put a lot of emphasis on the emotional development of the characters.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Good to see some love for Seasons 2-4 = the peak.

My guess is your #1 will be either One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish or Bart the Lover.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't like it at all.

But I tend to rate Simpsons episodes on their comedic value and don't put a lot of emphasis on the emotional development of the characters.
I think there's genuinely strong well-earned emotional development and then there's gimmicky one-note emotional development. For me, something like Bart Gets an F feels genuinely powerful whereas something like Mother Simpson just feels kind of emotionally manipulative and cheap, for my money. Lingering on the final frame is pretty cool technique I guess, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Hmm.. Of what you haven't listed yet, I'm leaning towards Itchy and Scratchy vs. Marge, Selma's Choice, or Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington.

Last edited:

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
I've recently gone back and started watching the earlier seasons. There is so much comedy gold in the first ten seasons there is almost no reason to watch anything beyond that.

You Only Move Twice is my #1, or at least in my top tier.

How do you people feel about tier lists?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Nice. This is actually super similar to my list.

1. Last Exit to Springfield
2. Lisa's Substitute
3. Itchy & Scratchy and Marge
4. Three Men and a Comic Book
5. Selma's Choice
6. Bart Gets an F
7. Homer the Heretic
8. Kamp Krusty
9. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington
10. I Love Lisa

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
X files episode
Stonecutters
When Homer tries to find out what J. stands for in his name
When Homer accidentally becomes a missionary on an island
When Homer becomes a union leader
Homer as an astronaut
The one where this colleague of Homer is jealous of him and electrocutes himself in the end
When Homer becomes a food critic
When Homer is accused of fondling the babysitter

Homer heavy episodes are the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad