Podcast (Audio) The Wally and Methot Show

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
coverages, rotations, responsibilities, style of play, variations of systems, adaptations made in game.

it’s all a joke.
“He gets in there real hard battles away in the corner m, throws it out front to the far post and he just makes an elite play right there....”
or
“there it is, bing bang, boom and it’s in the net”
or the endless times they actual mis-describe what happened.
or for example BT and Lucic last night. Brady comes in and lays several huge hits, drives Lucic crazy, Lucic then get to the front of the net where he proceeds to cross check Brady in the fact & then punch him in the head.
“There you go just two warriors battling each other and neither giving an inch”

it’s just an asinine lazy “analysis”

That’s hockey analysis. Somehow I played the game for 20 years, watched it for 40+ and I’d say hockey analaysts have taught me next to nothing about the game.

To be fair the analysts are not there to teach you.

Most people are lazy as f***, they don't want to learn.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Methot on tsn1200 right now and they're just complaining about cars with custom exhausts lol I'm wondering if he ever throttled his friends lambos or Ferraris or even Andy's corvette. I'm sure that V8 roaring doesn't sound like a Prius.

Last edited:

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Norris seems like a nice guy.

Interesting to see the reverence these young players have for McDavid already. Norris wouldn't even say his name -- just called him 97.

Reactions: The Expert

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Tugnutt interview was awesome. Love hearing from these guys that were so huge in my childhood, would love Lalime soon too.
Just watched the Tugnutt interview, and can confirm it was awesome! I always had a hunch, but the interview confirmed how decent a guy he is. He has a wealth of experience, seems very approachable, and so I think he'd still be valuable as a goalie coach somewhere (in the interview they briefly talked about his experience as a goalie coach for the Canadian Junior team).

I was heartbroken when he got traded for Barrasso. Jacques never seemed to trust Tugnutt fully for some reason.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Just watched the Tugnutt interview, and can confirm it was awesome! I always had a hunch, but the interview confirmed how decent a guy he is. He has a wealth of experience, seems very approachable, and so I think he'd still be valuable as a goalie coach somewhere (in the interview they briefly talked about his experience as a goalie coach for the Canadian Junior team).

I was heartbroken when he got traded for Barrasso. Jacques never seemed to trust Tugnutt fully for some reason.

Watching Tuggers little playoff run with the Penguins in 2000 was one of the most fun times I've ever had watching another team in the playoffs. Always have a soft spot for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yak and DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Zibby's interview was interesting, and you can see how before he got traded he made the commitment to really take things seriously. Sadly, time ran out on him here, but definitely a wakeup call that no doubt put him in the right frame of mind in NY

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
coverages, rotations, responsibilities, style of play, variations of systems, adaptations made in game.

it’s all a joke.
“He gets in there real hard battles away in the corner m, throws it out front to the far post and he just makes an elite play right there....”
or
“there it is, bing bang, boom and it’s in the net”
or the endless times they actual mis-describe what happened.
or for example BT and Lucic last night. Brady comes in and lays several huge hits, drives Lucic crazy, Lucic then get to the front of the net where he proceeds to cross check Brady in the fact & then punch him in the head.
“There you go just two warriors battling each other and neither giving an inch”

it’s just an asinine lazy “analysis”

That’s hockey analysis. Somehow I played the game for 20 years, watched it for 40+ and I’d say hockey analaysts have taught me next to nothing about the game.

I think they would lose 80% of their audience if there was too much x & Os, they may have tried something like that before if I remember correctly & it was a flop. I'm also sure they are under time constraints & want there analysts to move on quickly & not get stuck on one thing too long unless it's quite serious. I think that might be what the intermissions are for to explain some things a little deeper. People are lazy & prefer to be spoon fed & listen to the guys who are more belligerent & animated as Cherry was & he had the biggest audience with his schtick.

Reactions: Cosmix

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Zibby's interview was interesting, and you can see how before he got traded he made the commitment to really take things seriously. Sadly, time ran out on him here, but definitely a wakeup call that no doubt put him in the right frame of mind in NY

Always thought it was a very weird timing for that trade. It was the first summer that Zibby stayed in Ottawa to work with our conditioning and strenght coach and everyone knew about it. He was still young and even though he was inconsistent, it was worth it to wait for the season to start and see how much better he got over the summer.

Sucks but it is what it is.

Reactions: DrEasy and coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I like Zib, seems like a funny dude. Sounds like NYR is the cats meaow for players.

Interesting to hear the little back and forth about EK.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Always thought it was a very weird timing for that trade. It was the first summer that Zibby stayed in Ottawa to work with our conditioning and strenght coach and everyone knew about it. He was still young and even though he was inconsistent, it was worth it to wait for the season to start and see how much better he got over the summer.

Sucks but it is what it is.
Completely different styles of play, but Zibby is another player who needed to get older and bigger to be really effective. He used to bowl people over to score his goals as a junior, he couldn't do that in the NHL while his body was still filling up.

We see that Lazar has finally found a place in the NHL, and that's also because he needed to use his body the way he used it at the junior level in order to be effective. Unlike Zibby though without the physicality he couldn't bring much at all, whereas Zibby could still contribute in the meantime with other attributes (his shot in particular).

I predict the same thing for White. I'm not saying he's necessarily going to become a #1C, but the guy who used to always play close to the net at the WJC just needs his body to catch up. If he stops getting injured FFS and has a good summer of training, I predict a breakout next year. Stutzle - White - Dadonov could be a thing of beauty next year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Wallace's take on JBD is confusing. Last episode he is adamant that Brannstrom isn't ready to play in the NHL and needs to play in the AHL and turns around and says what's the harm in playing JBD, just play him, who cares what happens. Also oddly claims when Wolanin returned to the line up he was out there against McDavid. In his two games vs Edmonton he has played 1:25 and 1:10 5v5 against McDavid.

Reactions: Icelevel and Deku

R2010

May 23, 2011
Completely different styles of play, but Zibby is another player who needed to get older and bigger to be really effective. He used to bowl people over to score his goals as a junior, he couldn't do that in the NHL while his body was still filling up.

We see that Lazar has finally found a place in the NHL, and that's also because he needed to use his body the way he used it at the junior level in order to be effective. Unlike Zibby though without the physicality he couldn't bring much at all, whereas Zibby could still contribute in the meantime with other attributes (his shot in particular).

I predict the same thing for White. I'm not saying he's necessarily going to become a #1C, but the guy who used to always play close to the net at the WJC just needs his body to catch up. If he stops getting injured FFS and has a good summer of training, I predict a breakout next year. Stutzle - White - Dadonov could be a thing of beauty next year.

Didn't play in Junior. He should have. He should have been in junior then AHL.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wallace's take on JBD is confusing. Last episode he is adamant that Brannstrom isn't ready to play in the NHL and needs to play in the AHL and turns around and says what's the harm in playing JBD, just play him, who cares what happens. Also oddly claims when Wolanin returned to the line up he was out there against McDavid. In his two games vs Edmonton he has played 1:25 and 1:10 5v5 against McDavid.

They also don’t mention that the lineup is winning and playing great hockey, so how do you justify to Brown or Mete that they have to come out? The mention that DJ wants to win, but not about how you take a guy out of the lineup who is playing great, especially two guys that are also playing for contracts, to be seen by Seattle, and basically for their NHL lives.

There is zero rush to play the kid, and DJ has already said that he’ll get some games. I think it’s much less about JBD, and much more about rewarding a lineup that’s kicking some ass right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->