Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Do the Jays have the edge in SP matchups this series?

Yankees slight favourite today
Severino v Happ

Jays tomorrow
Tanaka v Sanchez

Tie on Saturday, with tie going to the home team
CC v Estrada

Jays on Sunday
Gray v Stroman

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Jays getting a cut from online scalpers | Toronto Star

A Toronto Star/CBC investigation tracked online ticket listings for the team’s 2018 home opener and found that the average price for online seats was 205 per cent of face value — with the club getting a cut of each online sale.

The Toronto Blue Jays receive secret commissions on every ticket sold on StubHub, allowing the club to profit on the scalping of its own seats — all without telling fans — a joint Toronto Star/CBC investigation has found.

Earning profit from the resale of the team’s tickets without telling fans is “unethical,” says Richard Powers, associate professor Rotman School of Management.
“That is totally misleading and increases the cost to consumers,” he said. “Getting in bed with the secondary market who they fight against all the time in every other venue, it just seems unethical.”

In a recent interview with Sportnet, Jays president Mark Shapiro said that today’s home opener would be “the highest-revenue game in the history of Rogers Centre.”

The Jays’ payment arrangement with StubHub has never been reported before now. When the Jays entered into the partnership with StubHub a year ago, public messaging focused on enhancing the fan experience by making it easier to upload tickets for sale. Nowhere did the club say it got a cut.

The Blue Jays declined repeated requests for comment for this story.

I get business is business and i understand it from the Owners side and i would probably do the same if i were them but this does not look good. Fans already hate Rogers and i assume this will make it that much worse.

Also doesnt help that Rogers/Management said that they raised ticket prices to combat the secondary market a few months ago and if this report is true then they giving the optics they are combating the inflation of the secondary market AND making money off fans by raising the prices AND making money off the secondary market. I wouldnt go as fan as saying it is unethical but it is a very bad look for the organization.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Jays getting a cut from online scalpers | Toronto Star

I get business is business and i understand it from the Owners side and i would probably do the same if i were them but this does not look good. Fans already hate Rogers and i assume this will make it that much worse.

Also doesnt help that Rogers/Management said that they raised ticket prices to combat the secondary market a few months ago and if this report is true then they giving the optics they are combating the inflation of the secondary market AND making money off fans by raising the prices AND making money off the secondary market. I wouldnt go as fan as saying it is unethical but it is a very bad look for the organization.

This pisses me off.

Now I know why I could never buy premium seats from the Jays online ticket office.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
^Yeah. I assume it will be Moll.

Edit: Moll was DFA'd and Pompey and Alford were put on the 10 DL.

Blue Jays release Opening Day roster; Tulowitzki placed on 60-day DL - Article - TSN

2018 Toronto Blue Jays Opening Day roster:
PITCHERS (12): John Axford-RHP, Danny Barnes-LHP, Tyler Clippard-RHP, Marco Estrada-RHP, Jaime Garcia-LHP, J.A. Happ-LHP, Aaron Loup-LHP, Seung Hwan Oh-RHP, Roberto Osuna-RHP, Aaron Sanchez-RHP, Marcus Stroman-RHP, Ryan Tepera-RHP.

CATCHERS (2): Luke Maile, Russell Martin.

INFIELDERS (7): Aledmys Diaz, Josh Donaldson, Kendrys Morales, Gift Ngoepe, Justin Smoak, Yangervis Solarte, Devon Travis

OUTFIELDERS (4): Curtis Granderson, Randal Grichuk, Steve Pearce, Kevin Pillar.

Last edited:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

So they are essentially double-dipping on the same tickets they sold. That money better be put back into the team (or at least lessen the complaints of the costs of renovating the Dome).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hazel Mae @thehazelmae
#Yankees vs #BlueJays
Toronto opening day lineup:
Travis 2B
Donaldson 3B
Smoak 1B
Granderson LF
Morales DH
Grichuk RF
Martin C
Pillar CF
Diaz SS

I'm encouraged by the fact that Morales is not being handed the cleanup spot. Though I still hope that Pearce gets an equal shot, though letting Morales go against Severino is probably understandable.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Didnt expect Granderson to hit clean up nor Grichuk to hit above Martin... not that it is a bad move just that him being the vet and having the better on base seems to profile better in front of Grichuk.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
So they are essentially double-dipping on the same tickets they sold. That money better be put back into the team (or at least lessen the complaints of the costs of renovating the Dome).

Even if they "spent" it back on the team its a terrible look that a secret report outed them. They are a business and they by no means have to disclose anything to us but from an optics standpoint and a your tickets sales are down standpoint it doesnt look good from the fans perspective and the media cant and wont spin this in a positive light. Its only negative here and based on this story they deserve this negative press.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
To be fair, this is more likely a situation where StubHub is paying the Jays, rather than the Jays sneaking their way into more money.

I know StubHub have a similar deal with the Golden Knights of the NHL, and I’m sure most teams really.

A lot of teams/provinces/states have been trying to cut down/eliminate the secondary market, so by partnering with the teams and giving them a small cut, it makes everything a win-win-win.

Fans get to buy/sell tickets, Stubhub gets the business, and the teams stay happy because they still get a small percentage.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I know StubHub have a similar deal with the Golden Knights of the NHL, and I’m sure most teams really.

All MLB teams according to the article, but the headline only mentions the Jays:

StubHub’s head of global communications Glenn Lehrman confirmed the Jays receive payments — like all Major League Baseball teams — for tickets sold on the world’s largest online ticket resale site. He would not say how much of a cut goes to the clubs.

A lot of teams/provinces/states have been trying to cut down/eliminate the secondary market

Looks like Ontario is one of them:

The average price for those online seats was 205 per cent of face value — a large markup that will soon be illegal in Ontario.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Didnt expect Granderson to hit clean up nor Grichuk to hit above Martin... not that it is a bad move just that him being the vet and having the better on base seems to profile better in front of Grichuk.

Gibby usually keeps martin down a bit in the lineup because he doesn't love to flip flop the top of his lineup when players get days off - and the starting catcher gets lots of days off. So all the good hitting full time guys hit ahead of him. That might be different if the backup catcher could hit well enough to slot into the middle of the lineup, too, but we got Maile.

He probably feels fine with part-time Granderson at cleanup because he can just stick Pearce in the same slot when the platoon swaps.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
All MLB teams according to the article, but the headline only mentions the Jays:

Looks like Ontario is one of them:

Ah okay, so all MLB teams do. I wonder if all NHL teams do as well.

What Ontario is doing makes sense. They are trying to remove the possibility of making huge amounts of money off of another company’s product.

If you bought tickets and can no longer go, and want to sell them and you can make an extra 20 bucks, whatever. But scalpers buying sections and then trying to sell them all at double the price is what is trying to be avoided and as it should be.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Hazel Mae @thehazelmae
#Yankees vs #BlueJays
Toronto opening day lineup:
Travis 2B
Donaldson 3B
Smoak 1B
Granderson LF
Morales DH
Grichuk RF
Martin C
Pillar CF
Diaz SS

I'm encouraged by the fact that Morales is not being handed the cleanup spot. Though I still hope that Pearce gets an equal shot, though letting Morales go against Severino is probably understandable.

That's the way I would set the lineup against a righty, so I'm actually quite pleased with that. Better than what I and PhillyMike guessed yesterday.

If Aledmys hits at 75% of how he did in 2016, and those top two hitters are healthy, that's a real good lineup.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
That's the way I would set the lineup against a righty, so I'm actually quite pleased with that. Better than what I and PhillyMike guessed yesterday.

If Aledmys hits at 75% of how he did in 2016, and those top two hitters are healthy, that's a real good lineup.

[Insert "I resent that" GIF of Jazz from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air]

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

you know, if you take Diaz' line from last year, keep it exactly the same, except add a little bit of the power that he showed in every other year back in, then he's got a solid shot at approaching league average hitting, which from an SS is more than fine, even if the glove is subpar.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Holland is getting 14M from the Cards... years not yet released. A 1 year deal at 14M would be solid for Holland, 2 years would be decent for both sides all things considering.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The money they saved from Alex Rios and Vernon Wells contracts took years to actually be put into use (Martin, Buerle, etc). Bautista’s contract is off the books and is still available in theory ... I’m not holding my breath they reinvest into players on the field

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm not a big fan of making predictions for playoffs, etc. Especially this year, when it feels like there are only six or seven teams really in the race and everybody else is tanking. I try and make more general predictions. Such as:

Jays outcome: I'm not as down on this team as many appear to be, but I'm not overly excited. I predict the Jays will settle in around 85 wins and be on the fringes of the wild card race which leads to...

... Disappointment of the Year: The team hangs around the wild card race, but doesn't make it. As a result, they hang on to Josh Donaldson and he walks away as a free agent in the off season.

... Alternative Scenario for Disappointment of the Year: The Jays aren't in it and decide to trade Donaldson and it turns out there isn't a big windfall of young players coming back.

Disappointment of the Year 2: The outfield. I look at the outfield and shudder when thinking of the potential lack of offensive production from this group. We know what Pillar is. Pearce will get hurt. Granderson is old (and fell off the cliff in LA late last year) and I just don't see much growth coming from Grichuk. He reminds me of the latest version of Colby Rasmus. Every year was always going to be the year Colby finally put it together, but he never did. I really hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this group producing what is necessary for the team to move into 90-win territory.

Surprise of the Year: Devon Travis. I think he puts it together and has a solid season.

Surprise of the Year 2: The pitching staff. I think the rotation is going to be better than expected and I think the bullpen will be worse. After the quality young arms of Osuna, Tepera and Barnes - I see a lot of veteran re-treads out there and I wonder what the Jays really expect to get out of these guys.

Comeback Player of the Year: Estrada, it's his walk year. I think he has a solid season.

Black Hole of the Year (also known as the JP Arencibia Award): Shortstop. It doesn't look good for Tulo playing a meaningful role. And I'm not sold on the replacements. I have a feeling this will be a source of frustration all season long.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Opening Day Lineups, with 2yr Stats - wRC+ for hitting, fangraphs' DF rating prorated to 650pa.

LH Happ 77era-, 89fip-, 95xfip- - RH Severino 94era-, 79fip-, 75xfip-

2B Travis 103wrc+, +5.3d650 --- LF Gardner 103wrc+, -0.8d650
3B Josh 153wrc+, +2.3d650 ---- RF Judge 159wrc+, -2.1d650
1B Smoak 118wrc+, -11.7d650 - DH Stanton 140wrc+, XXXXXX
LF Grandy 110wrc+, -5.5d650 - C Sanchez 142wrc+, +11.6d650
DH Morales 104wrc+, XXXXX --- CF Hicks 95wrc+, +7.1d650
RF Grichuk 98wrc+, +2.2d650 -- SS Didi 102wrc+, +8.4d650
C Martin 100wrc+, +7.0d650 ---- 3B Drury 97wrc+, -11.2d650
CF Pillar 83wrc+, +17.1d650 ---- 2B Walker 118wrc+, +7.4d650
SS Diaz 111wrc+, -1.3d650 ----- 1B Austin 94wrc+, -21.0d650

Status
Not open for further replies.