Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Since the entire premise of your argument is based on Grichuk and Travis obviously being hurt because they went on the DL and played great when they came back, I think it's important to note that at no point did Devon Travis ever go on the DL. So... I'm not quite sure I understand what this "coincidence" you're seeing is based on.

I stated there was something wrong with him and the coaches weren't doing their jobs and they should be replaced by those who can and will. And if the players make all the decisions anyway (such as someone who claiming Donaldson's issues are all his fault) then they don't actually have a job to do and are redundant.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I stated there was something wrong with him and the coaches weren't doing their jobs and they should be replaced by those who can and will. And if the players make all the decisions anyway (such as someone who claiming Donaldson's issues are all his fault) then they don't actually have a job to do and are redundant.

No, you said he went to the DL and was better when he got back.

Travis wasn't injured, he was just playing poorly. And they did do something about it: they let him try to work through it and when he didn't come around they sent him to the minors to work on things with less pressure.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
your-attitude-needs-to-change.jpg

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Steve Phillips is suggesting that he would be surprised if JA Happ is a Jay after July 1st. He says why wait for Happ to have a bad start to trade him. Says his trade value is at its highest now.

Thinks the Jays will get "a significant prospect and a secondary prospect."

Might make sense with Stroman coming back and the Jays not wanting to send Gaviglio down. Trading Happ would open up a spot for Gaviglio as a by product of getting better long term value for Happ.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Glad you agree that you have no argument.

What could you possibly mean by this? You're the only one without an argument. Every single person has brought up valid points, and because it doesn't fit your ridiculous conspiracy theory, you're dismissing it.

As was mentioned, Travis was not injured. What's a more likely situation? Someone who had not faced live pitching in nearly a year was slow to adapt? Or management/coaching ignored an injury and hoped it would go away. Grichuck, a guy who sports a career .183 average in March/April had a terrible March/April? Stunning (with a BABIP of .119 for the record, the poor guy couldn't have bought a hit. Everything he put in play just found gloves).

Sometimes you have to let a player work through shit in order to get better. With Travis we had the luxury of options and could send him to AAA.

Common sense just isn't that common.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Steve Phillips is suggesting that he would be surprised if JA Happ is a Jay after July 1st. He says why wait for Happ to have a bad start to trade him. Says his trade value is at its highest now.

Might make sense with Stroman coming back and the Jays not wanting to send Gaviglio down. Trading Happ would open up a spot for Gaviglio as a by product of getting better long term value for Happ.

I would be pretty surprised if he's traded that soon, but it's not a bad idea.

If Happ is still around when Stroman comes back, the smart thing would be to move Garcia to the bullpen to see if they can Liriano him.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Glad you agree that you have no argument.

Your first guess if a player plays through an injury and then has an extended stay on the shelf is because the trainers misdiagnosed him, not because he hid the injury? Has it been so long that we forgot Ricky Romero threw 181 innings without knees?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
other than AA building a better team and better system after inheriting a far worse team and far worse system, yes.

Don't worry it's just sticky111 with his weekly trash AA and fe1ate Shatkins post. lol

I'm not saying AA is amazing, but Shatkins has been here for what 3 years? Two of which our teams have been brutal. Hardly a large enough sample size to be making the kind of pronouncements sticky buns is.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Don't worry it's just sticky111 with his weekly trash AA and fe1ate Shatkins post. lol

I'm not saying AA is amazing, but Shatkins has been here for what 3 years? Two of which our teams have been brutal. Hardly a large enough sample size to be making the kind of pronouncements sticky buns is.

Stickty111 vs zeke, Round 64.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

So let me preface everything by saying Steve Phillips is a fool.

Now that the most important part of the post is complete: I wouldn't be against any trade of Happ that results in a top-100 prospect and decent 'B' prospect. However, such a trade has nothing to do with the impending return of Marcus Stroman, or the presence of Sam Gaviglio.

I would be pretty surprised if he's traded that soon, but it's not a bad idea.

If Happ is still around when Stroman comes back, the smart thing would be to move Garcia to the bullpen to see if they can Liriano him.

I'd rather let him trying to pitch his way out of it, string together a couple of good starts, and then peddle him to a national league club. Gaviglio to the pen, Biagini to the minors, is what my move would be.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Not to mention if he has a string of bad starts or worse, gets injured, his value can get lower or tank completely. I would think a team would be willing to pay more for an extra month of play.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Good games from a couple guys in Rookie ball.

Groshans 2-4 1r 1rbi 1bb 1so
Conine 3-5 1r 3rbi 1so
Jimenez 1-4 2rbi 1bb

Jimenez is interesting cause he's supposed to be a good defender at short, so if he can hit too then that's awesome. I think he got our second highest bonus last July 2 even though Hiraldo was ranked higher on prospect lists.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good games from a couple guys in Rookie ball.

Groshans 2-4 1r 1rbi 1bb 1so
Conine 3-5 1r 3rbi 1so
Jimenez 1-4 2rbi 1bb

Jimenez is interesting cause he's supposed to be a good defender at short, so if he can hit too then that's awesome. I think he got our second highest bonus last July 2 even though Hiraldo was ranked higher on prospect lists.

Shapiro's draftpicks already more successful then AA's ever were
;)

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
So let me preface everything by saying Steve Phillips is a fool.

Now that the most important part of the post is complete: I wouldn't be against any trade of Happ that results in a top-100 prospect and decent 'B' prospect. However, such a trade has nothing to do with the impending return of Marcus Stroman, or the presence of Sam Gaviglio.

I'd rather let him trying to pitch his way out of it, string together a couple of good starts, and then peddle him to a national league club. Gaviglio to the pen, Biagini to the minors, is what my move would be.
On the radio today they were talking about an easy top 50 prospect plus for Happ. Said he’ll be in huge demand and the earlier he goes the higher the return.

As for Garcia I keep hearing people say release him or whatever. If we trade both Happ and Estrada we will need starters. Being that we will also likely move a few pen arms as well. Worst case he pitches out of the pen for the remainder of the year. We may as well abuse his arm

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
On the radio today they were talking about an easy top 50 prospect plus for Happ. Said he’ll be in huge demand and the earlier he goes the higher the return.

As for Garcia I keep hearing people say release him or whatever. If we trade both Happ and Estrada we will need starters. Being that we will also likely move a few pen arms as well. Worst case he pitches out of the pen for the remainder of the year. We may as well abuse his arm

Darvish last year remains a solid comp for Happ, though Happ is having a far better season. Top 50 and a couple lottery tickets makes perfect sense.

As for Garcia, I completely agree. You gain nothing by releasing him, and you lose the chance that he may turn it around. Let him plug away and see what happens and if he doesn't figure it out then throw him in the pen and see if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->