OT: The Visitors' Guide to Philadelphia (Pt. 2), recommendations, etc.; Flyers' books, DVDs

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Hey guys. I know this is probably asked of you all 20 times a week. Going to Philly for work, and is there any consensus on which of Pats and Genos is better? Figure I ask you
Philly locals. I understand they are both known to be tourist traps - but I’d still like to try one just to get that experience.

If the choice is only one of those two, my recommendation is Pat's, but like you said, there are many, many other places you can go to get a better cheesesteak.

Reactions: AllAbout813

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Yes I understand and I appreciate the warnings LOL. It’s more of a thing to tell my wife and
Kids, we’ve seen them both so often on travel channel, etc., that I want to to be able to say I’ve done one of them to the folks back home in Tampa. Thanks for the tips. I’ll go with Pats and report back my findings!

I am very excited to tour the city, a place so important to America and it’s history.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Yes I understand and I appreciate the warnings LOL. It’s more of a thing to tell my wife and
Kids, we’ve seen them both so often on travel channel, etc., that I want to to be able to say I’ve done one of them to the folks back home in Tampa. Thanks for the tips. I’ll go with Pats and report back my findings!

I am very excited to tour the city, a place so important to America and it’s history.
Get one of each and judge for yourself, it is the only way.

Then go to Angelo's or John's Roast Pork to see what a real cheese steak is like. Might as well get the full experience.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

@Young Sandwich beat me to it but..

3o85xIO33l7RlmLR4I.gif

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This may be of interest to some:

In other news, the commission voted unanimously to approve the relocation of the Parx Oaks Race and Sports Book to a new site in Malvern, Pa., at the Chickie's & Pete's Sports Bar. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Joe Wilson, the COO of Parx, said during the presentation to commissioners that this is a revitalized OTB model so it offers an opportunity to attract new fans to the sport of horse racing and be a new source of tax revenue and purse money for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Wilson added that the traditional OTB model is not sustainable under current conditions.

Chickie's & Pete's is a very popular interactive sports bar business with an established customer base among its 12 locations in the greater Philadelphia area and New Jersey. Parx already is licensed for sports wagering, and only pari-mutuel racing and sports betting will be allowed at the new facility.​

Source: Bloodhorse

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Both are in the same ballpark to me, maybe lean Pat's. Very good steaks.

There's better for sure but Pat's and Geno's are still great despite what people say. Can't really go wrong.

Dalessandro's GOATed tho
I’ve been toying with the idea of going back there for the last few weeks since things started to open back up. I haven’t been back to neighborhood since I moved out of Manayunk in summer of ‘18.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I’ve been toying with the idea of going back there for the last few weeks since things started to open back up. I haven’t been back to neighborhood since I moved out of Manayunk in summer of ‘18.
Same here but summer of '15. May have been back once or twice since.

In NYC now and I'd kill for any Philly steak

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Tony Luke's over Pat's or Genos. I have heard Jim's on south st is really good. Was not impressed by Pat's or Genos.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
This may be of interest to some:

In other news, the commission voted unanimously to approve the relocation of the Parx Oaks Race and Sports Book to a new site in Malvern, Pa., at the Chickie's & Pete's Sports Bar. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Joe Wilson, the COO of Parx, said during the presentation to commissioners that this is a revitalized OTB model so it offers an opportunity to attract new fans to the sport of horse racing and be a new source of tax revenue and purse money for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Wilson added that the traditional OTB model is not sustainable under current conditions.

Chickie's & Pete's is a very popular interactive sports bar business with an established customer base among its 12 locations in the greater Philadelphia area and New Jersey. Parx already is licensed for sports wagering, and only pari-mutuel racing and sports betting will be allowed at the new facility.​

Source: Bloodhorse
I knew the Chickie's & Pete's was going in there, but that's pretty cool about Parx moving their license to there. Once I go back into the office, might have to go there for lunch and place some bets, lol

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Hey guys. I know this is probably asked of you all 20 times a week. Going to Philly for work, and is there any consensus on which of Pats and Genos is better? Figure I ask you
Philly locals. I understand they are both known to be tourist traps - but I’d still like to try one just to get that experience.
Pats and Genos are meh sandwich places. Probably better 20 years ago, but there are so many better spots to go to.

Places I say to go to: Mike’s BBQ in south (you have to get there early), Stockyard on Spring Garden, Terakawa Ramen is the best spot in Chinatown imo, Mission Taco which is in between Rittenhouse and Center City, John’s Roast Pork is fantastic, Tommy DiNics is good as well.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Chickies is trash food .... and well gambling on top of it????

(notice I didn't say if I wasn't a degenerate or not)
Yeah, tbh, I'll probably only ever go there a couple of times. It's defintely not something you want to eat and then go back and sit at your desk for another 4 hours. 5 years ago there were no food options around there other than the Wawa where Chickie's is going, which is surprising because Vanguard is right there. In the last 5 years they've opened a lot more places.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Yeah, tbh, I'll probably only ever go there a couple of times. It's defintely not something you want to eat and then go back and sit at your desk for another 4 hours. 5 years ago there were no food options around there other than the Wawa where Chickie's is going, which is surprising because Vanguard is right there. In the last 5 years they've opened a lot more places.
Malvern has been very rare for me to visit since I left Siemens/Cerner.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Tony Luke's over Pat's or Genos. I have heard Jim's on south st is really good. Was not impressed by Pat's or Genos.
I’ve been in the basement at Jim’s, and I won’t eat there anymore. Same with all of Chinatown.
There’s one McDonalds in the city, where I forget, but for some reason it had a basement and it was the cleanest basement I’ve ever seen.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
I'm in Manayunk, Dalessandro's has been PACKED lately. It's always busy but since things have started to open up the lines have been nuts.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I have been to so many great places in Chinatown over decades. Rangoon is my favorite. My friends and I always look for new ethnicities to try. I am up to about 45, although not all in Philly.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Terakawa Ramen is the best spot in Chinatown imo

Collectively I've spent a few months of my life in Japan, and Terakawa is still the second best bowl of Ramen I've ever tried. No idea why it was brought up in a cheesesteak discussion, but it's 100% worth going to and worth the wait to get in. Phenomenal.

Reactions: CapnZin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad