The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Whaaaat!? That place alone is worth the 3+ hour drive and commuting with M*******s...and that's saying something for me. The canolis are ridiculously delicious. You must be pretty spoiled to think it is only ok. ;)

Being Italian it is somewhat hard to impress me with North End food/pastry. I grew up eating all of that stuff :)

Many do not know this bit of inside info, but a fair amount of Mike's Pastry is not even made in the store itself, especially during the very busy times. Shhhhhh........

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
(Sorry for such a long post)

Here is the google map - will take 28-30 minutes ( http://g.co/maps/rtwgd ) Alternate is a taxi which looks to be about $30.00 (takes 8 min, no traffic)

I'm flying in 8pm Friday, hoping to hope over to house of blues and see City & Colour play. Staying at Le Meridian Cambridge and leaving Monday night - any "cant miss" things to do? Already planning to go to this place (I accidentally watched the phantom gourmet with the gf, and now we "have" to go here hahahaha)

I'll be doing a blog post that I'll link back in as well on the things we do, videos, etc. Too bad the fenway tours don't run in Winter (or the duck tours! lol)

Really looking for the ultimate "boston (read: irish) pub" (We'll ditch the leafs & jays gear prior, haha - best I've found is Mr. Dooleys? - http://www.mrdooleys.com/ or Emmets Pub? www.emmetspub.com)

The "MUST GO TO" Italian place that I've found so far is: Rino's Place http://www.rinosplace.com/ Prices look great, was on Diners Drive-ins & Dives, and the positive yelps are huge. That does it for me - Looks like I'll be hitting it for dinner before the airport. Looks unreal (and will try Mike's Pastry on your recommendation as well!)

On Monday morning we're probably going to go walk around MIT & Harvard - just to get the feel of it - if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them (Uni's in Canada are a MUCH different feel then anything I've been to in the states, really want to see this)

The lady wants shopping, it really is too bad that Boston has NO shopping at all that I could find, no good stores, no good malls, no deals or coupons or anything. Right guys? :sarcasm:

Also, to note, I double checked with the Gardens and they serve alcohol to people under 25 IF you have a passport (useful for any Canadians).

Now the big thing, Has anyone seen Phil Kessel in Boston? I've looked over the past few years and each game he doesn't show up - Hoping I can catch a glimpse this time :laugh:

Other things on the agenda:

- Prudential Center Skywalk Observatory (Apparently a PRUferred card @ prudential mall gets discount)
- Sam Adams Brewery Tour (which I hope is worth the early morning hike out there!)
- Freedom Trail (maybe some touristy crap here, lol)
- Regina Pizzeria
- The Black Rose ($2.75 Guinness on Friday... ummm.. yes please! $5 happy hour for a lbs of wings and a personal pitcher? I'll live in the kitchen to be closer to those prices!)
- Faneuil Hall
- Quincy Market
- Mike & Patty's for breaky (Bacon and Egg, Fancy apparently is the thing to get)
- Crema (Harvad yard, reviewed well for coffee)

Maybe I'll add more later :handclap:

Here is a PDF of discounts that the Charlie Card gets you http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/documents/CharlieCard_Discount Booklet.pdf

Some look OK!

Black Rose also has live Irish music every weekend night. Not sure about the $2.75 Guinness'.. maybe its during the day.

Also, try some raw oysters... Boston has some good spots for those.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
Black Rose also has live Irish music every weekend night. Not sure about the $2.75 Guinness'.. maybe its during the day.

Also, try some raw oysters... Boston has some good spots for those.

$2.75 guinness all this week for their 35th anniversary special (back to opening prices or something)

Can't do seafood, but the girl can - I'll see what we can find! thanks!

Zdeno33Lucic*

So im coming to boston to eatch the canadians play the bruins in january

(didnt buy tickets yet though)

Are there scalpers outside? Will it be cheaper

What are the prices for decent seats? Middle of the arena about with a good view

I need a nice cheap hotel close to the arena

Any suggestions?

401BsFan

Sep 5, 2011
So im coming to boston to eatch the canadians play the bruins in january

(didnt buy tickets yet though)

Are there scalpers outside? Will it be cheaper

What are the prices for decent seats? Middle of the arena about with a good view

I need a nice cheap hotel close to the arena

Any suggestions?

Cheap tickets and hotel? Good luck

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Hi guys, Canucks fan in peace. I'm making the trip to Boston to see the game on the 7th, and I'm totally stoked to explore Boston for a few days. Any great things I should check out, restaurants, sights, anything? I'd appreciate any tips you can give me!

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hi guys, Canucks fan in peace. I'm making the trip to Boston to see the game on the 7th, and I'm totally stoked to explore Boston for a few days. Any great things I should check out, restaurants, sights, anything? I'd appreciate any tips you can give me!
Scroll through this thread. You'll find lots of suggestions.

Hairz

Mar 22, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Nightclubs

Big Bruins fan coming up from Nova Scotia on Jan 12th. Looking for some good clubs/girls that would be somewhat close to TD as our hotel is right downtown.

Thanks guys.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
we be coming in for the Jan 21st Ranger game and again looking forward to hanging out in the N End and walking thru the Commons. the only bad thing is we sitting near the rangers entrance way,cousin turn to pick our seats. hope the weather holds up.

Hairz

Mar 22, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I'm staying at the Hilton hotel. It says it is 1.1 miles away, however a lot of the time they aren't accurate. Is this walking distance? Thanks guys. I can change hotel if need be.

Daniel Plainview

Jan 8, 2012
Dracut MA
I always park in the big red garage on Commercial St, between Prince St and Hull (600 Commercial St to be exact)

Then I walk 30 seconds towards the direction of the Garden and grab dinner at Fillipo's Ristoraunte which is right at the corner of North Washington and Causway St. Then walk for 2-3 minutes from there to the Garden

Nice straight shot for the local, who's driving in the evening of and just wants to get in, grab a bite before the game and get out right after the game ends

Last edited:

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Hey guys, I'm going to the game next Saturday, driving up from Jersey. I bought the tix as a Christmas surprise for my dad, sister and uncle. We are all die hard Rangers fans(season ticket holders), and repectful people. Anyway, question is we will be sitting in the 300s, will be treated ok by the fans? We would all like to wear our colors, but I wanted to see here first if it's a good idea. I know how it can be, like I said we sit in the 400s at MSG and you have some bad apples, I wanted to get some peoples' perspectives here first. Love Boston, awesome city, been there a few times, never for Rangers/Bruins, we just can't agree on sports lol thanks guys.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Hey guys, I'm going to the game next Saturday, driving up from Jersey. I bought the tix as a Christmas surprise for my dad, sister and uncle. We are all die hard Rangers fans(season ticket holders), and repectful people. Anyway, question is we will be sitting in the 300s, will be treated ok by the fans? We would all like to wear our colors, but I wanted to see here first if it's a good idea. I know how it can be, like I said we sit in the 400s at MSG and you have some bad apples, I wanted to get some peoples' perspectives here first. Love Boston, awesome city, been there a few times, never for Rangers/Bruins, we just can't agree on sports lol thanks guys.

You'll definitely catch more flak than if you sat in the Loge seats. The fact that it's a Saturday afternoon game helps...

Be prepared for some heckling, but it's not like you're wearing Montreal, Philly, or Vancouver colors...which should help. As long as you guys aren't crazy fans who like to start stuff, you should be fine.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

You have womenfolk with you, so it probably won't be bad. Aside from the occasional drunken lout, Bruins fans are a good lot. They'll heckel you, but similar to the guys on the ice, unless you are a complete asshat or provoke it, the physical stuff is not present. The worst thing about some visiting fans is their sense of entitlement, even in other people's buildings. They show no respect. Act like the PK Subban of the 300 section, someone will call you on it. Act like you know you are in enemy territory, respect that fact, and you will be fine. You might even make some new friends.

PS - If you do encounter a drunken schmuck, don't confront him, just quietly go get an usher. Trust me, the Bruins fans around you hate him just as much as you do and will probably thank you when he gets tossed. But if you confronted him, it's "us" against "them" no matter how bad the "us" is behaving.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
You have womenfolk with you, so it probably won't be bad. Aside from the occasional drunken lout, Bruins fans are a good lot. They'll heckel you, but similar to the guys on the ice, unless you are a complete asshat or provoke it, the physical stuff is not present. The worst thing about some visiting fans is their sense of entitlement, even in other people's buildings. They show no respect. Act like the PK Subban of the 300 section, someone will call you on it. Act like you know you are in enemy territory, respect that fact, and you will be fine. You might even make some new friends.

PS - If you do encounter a drunken schmuck, don't confront him, just quietly go get an usher. Trust me, the Bruins fans around you hate him just as much as you do and will probably thank you when he gets tossed. But if you confronted him, it's "us" against "them" no matter how bad the "us" is behaving.

That's what I figured, was curious myself since me and another member from the board are going up for the game. We're quiet for the most part anyway, will get up and cheer goals but that's about it. And I've seen visiting fans come into MSG and act entitled too and have seen them called out on it as well so it doesn't seem much different then from up in Boston. Thanks for the info.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
That's what I figured, was curious myself since me and another member from the board are going up for the game. We're quiet for the most part anyway, will get up and cheer goals but that's about it. And I've seen visiting fans come into MSG and act entitled too and have seen them called out on it as well so it doesn't seem much different then from up in Boston. Thanks for the info.

Well, how did it go?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Well, how did it go?

Didn't hear anything from anybody at all. I was shocked to be honest. I wasn't expecting to get **** thrown at me like I did in Philly a couple of weeks ago but I was expecting some heckling and didn't receive any at all. The worst me and my friend heard all day was "O'Callahan stinks" from a 5 year old :laugh:. Seems like a lot of the fans were welcoming of us. Even when the Rangers scored and we got up and cheered, there were no comments like "sit down *******" or "go back to New York." It was also a Saturday afternoon and the crowd did seem pretty dead to be honest so that could be part of the reason too. Would definitely come back for a game though.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Didn't hear anything from anybody at all. I was shocked to be honest. I wasn't expecting to get **** thrown at me like I did in Philly a couple of weeks ago but I was expecting some heckling and didn't receive any at all. The worst me and my friend heard all day was "O'Callahan stinks" from a 5 year old :laugh:. Seems like a lot of the fans were welcoming of us. Even when the Rangers scored and we got up and cheered, there were no comments like "sit down *******" or "go back to New York." It was also a Saturday afternoon and the crowd did seem pretty dead to be honest so that could be part of the reason too. Would definitely come back for a game though.

Glad to hear there were no issues. Day games certainly are more tame.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

To be honest, the only fanbases we hate with the heat of a thousand suns are the Habs and the Nucks. We burn bright for them, so we tend to simmer down for the one's who don't deserve it. I've sat and talked pucks with Leaf fans at Halftime Pizza and even bought a Philly fan a beer once (after asking him not to pour it on me). When I take the T to games, I always make it a point to tell cautious looking fans of other teams that at long as they aren't wearing a red/white/blue toilet seat on their chest, they are ok in Boston.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Going to tomorrow night's game against the Sens. Quick question, i will be in Woburn before the game what is the better option. Drive to the Lowell station and take the train in or just drive in? On the MTA site it lists the only outbound trains after 9 at 9:40, 10:40, and 12:00, do they run additional trains after games.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Going to tomorrow night's game against the Sens. Quick question, i will be in Woburn before the game what is the better option. Drive to the Lowell station and take the train in or just drive in? On the MTA site it lists the only outbound trains after 9 at 9:40, 10:40, and 12:00, do they run additional trains after games.

?

If you are in Woburn already theres a train that goes to North Station from the Anderson Regional Transportation Center (aka RTC).

Theres also a bus line that goes into the city as well as many private companies that run vans/livery services from Anderson. Not sure what part of Woburn you are staying in, but Anderson is on the north side of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad