The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Why not park at the garage at the corner of Congress and Sudbury Streets? If you make a purchase at one of the shops for a buck, you park for $3.00 for three hours. I usually buy a pack of gum at the mini market. Just show your receipt. Its a five minute walk to Boston Garden.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Why not park at the garage at the corner of Congress and Sudbury Streets? If you make a purchase at one of the shops for a buck, you park for $3.00 for three hours. I usually buy a pack of gum at the mini market. Just show your receipt. Its a five minute walk to Boston Garden.

The problem is, Boston is a confusing city. I have no idea where those streets are, and I can just imagine trying to find my way out after a game, let alone get there in the first place. Just the other day I was sharing epic "lost after a Bruins/Sox game" stories with a co-worker; both of us have ended up getting home at ridiculous hours because of wrong turns or construction detours that led to nowhere.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

Interesting... Have to check that out.

trueblues

Mar 27, 2011
i know the garden pro shop is a decent place to get merchandise. anywhere else in the city a good place decent prices to grab stuff? jerseys, hats, shirts, etc.

Tony's Sports on Newbury has some good stuff.

fireworks

Apr 17, 2009
Bobcaygeon
I'm a huge Bruins fan from Canada (Hamilton,Ontario). I just recently attended my first Bruins game (October 6 vs Flyers) for the Banner raising. Me and 2 my closest friends that are also Bruins fans. We stayed at the Bullfinch Hotel which is very close to the Garden and it was awesome! Great City, I also travelled to Boston last year with my entire family (wife,2 daughters, and my inlaws) great atmosphere and love the people. Already looking forward to another trip to Boston...maybe for the Red Sox Home Opener in 2012!!

Cheers!

JEFF SLY

Kill 'em All
Jan 19, 2011
Connecticut
This is a little off topic. I've been to Boston a ton of times for games, but never tried to catch a boxing match live in any of the bars. I am going to the B's/Sabres game on Saturday, I really want to catch the Pacquiao/Marquez III fight afterwards. Anyone know any local bars to TD Garden that air PPV boxing? Thanks!

slegr_71

Apr 22, 2004
Greenville, NC
This is a little off topic. I've been to Boston a ton of times for games, but never tried to catch a boxing match live in any of the bars. I am going to the B's/Sabres game on Saturday, I really want to catch the Pacquiao/Marquez III fight afterwards. Anyone know any local bars to TD Garden that air PPV boxing? Thanks!

None of the bars around the Garden carry PPV fights. I believe the closest place that carries them is in Somerville.

slegr_71

Apr 22, 2004
Greenville, NC

Just an update: Jerry Remy's posted on FB today that they WILL be showing the boxing match. That might be closer/easier to get to than the Somerville location.

Lady Lynx

Jun 30, 2006
Tampere, Finland
I'm about to fulfill my long time dream of coming to Boston for the first time to see the B's play. Since I'm coming all the way from Finland I'm thinking of staying a bit longer - maybe 6-8 weeks. Hotels for that period cost quite a lot so I was wondering if there are any good and reliable websites where I could find a furnished studio or 1 br apartment? I'm coming alone, so it would also be useful to know if there are neighborhoods that I should avoid.

:laugh: Of course if anyone here on hfboards has a spare room and needs a baby/dog/cat/house sitter, an over aged (40) and over qualified (class teacher) au pair, or someone to teach them Finnish, I'm open for suggestions... :laugh:

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
I'm about to fulfill my long time dream of coming to Boston for the first time to see the B's play. Since I'm coming all the way from Finland I'm thinking of staying a bit longer - maybe 6-8 weeks. Hotels for that period cost quite a lot so I was wondering if there are any good and reliable websites where I could find a furnished studio or 1 br apartment? I'm coming alone, so it would also be useful to know if there are neighborhoods that I should avoid.

:laugh: Of course if anyone here on hfboards has a spare room and needs a baby/dog/cat/house sitter, an over aged (40) and over qualified (class teacher) au pair, or someone to teach them Finnish, I'm open for suggestions... :laugh:

You could try craigslist.org, look for the Boston section under apartments. There are extended stay hotels that have rooms with kitchenettes and weekly rates, as well.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Update on parking at the Parcel 7 garage (corner of New Sudbury and Congress): The convenience store is no longer a participant, so don't take your ticket there. However, around the corner is Haymarket Pizza. Buy a slice or a soft drink or whatever and it will endorse the ticket.

I went there last week and parked for almost three hours for $3.00.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont

Wow that must be cool, have fun... I would definately help if I lived in the area. I have a very close friend who lives in Finland, I would have loved to learn Finnish haha.

You could always stay somewhere like Connecticut, Rhode Island, or New Hampshire. Hotels might not be as expensive there, and you could drive to Boston.

jaylectricity

Apr 11, 2011
I have lived next door to Boston for more than a decade and I have never once heard anybody call anything a bubblah.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I have lived next door to Boston for more than a decade and I have never once heard anybody call anything a bubblah.

It's a legacy thing. I don't call a water fountain a water bubblah regularly (sometimes it sneaks out), but my parents and aunts and uncles do.

Also, what is "next door"? If you're talking about Cambridge or Charlestown, majority of the residents are transplants.

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca

Check out AirBNB.com - also look for subletting coupon codes

Lady Lynx

Jun 30, 2006
Tampere, Finland
Thanks for your suggestions TheShoe, wKetch and 30Rinks. I managed to find a furnished studio in the North End. Not the cheapest alternative but cheaper than a hotel and it's only 5mins walk from TD Garden so I decided to rent it. In case anyone else is looking for one, I found this one on homeaway.com.

I'm really excited about the trip and can barely wait till February :handclap:

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Hey guys, coming up for the Rangers - Bruins game in January. Quick question, is there any way to get autographs after the game for either the Bruins or Rangers? And if so, where?

Can't wait to come to Boston, this will be my first time up there.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Thanks for your suggestions TheShoe, wKetch and 30Rinks. I managed to find a furnished studio in the North End. Not the cheapest alternative but cheaper than a hotel and it's only 5mins walk from TD Garden so I decided to rent it. In case anyone else is looking for one, I found this one on homeaway.com.

I'm really excited about the trip and can barely wait till February :handclap:

Cool, hope you have fun

Hey guys, coming up for the Rangers - Bruins game in January. Quick question, is there any way to get autographs after the game for either the Bruins or Rangers? And if so, where?

Can't wait to come to Boston, this will be my first time up there.

Check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Uw9_UhJUQ&feature=related

If you read the comments, the person who got the autograph explains what they did and how they do it. Hope that helps

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Hey guys, can you tell me the best (quickest/cost effective) way to get to the Garden from Logan Airport? Can I take the T? Thanks. Is there any cool things to look at by the Garden?

Last edited:

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
(Sorry for such a long post)

Hey guys, can you tell me the best (quickest/cost effective) way to get to the Garden from Logan Airport? Can I take the T? Thanks. Is there any cool things to look at by the Garden?

The MBTA Blue Line and Silver Line go to Logan. The Silver Line is a low-floor articulated bus that stops at each terminal every 10 to 15 minutes, from 6AM to 12:45AM every day (5:35AM start M-Sa). From the airport, the bus travels along the South Boston waterfront and terminates at South Station. Convenient transfers are available to the Red Line, south-side commuter rail trains, and southwesterly Amtrak trains. Tickets are $2, and can be purchased in each airport terminal.
To get to/from the Blue Line Airport station from the airport itself, you need to take a free Massport shuttle (check the signs outside the terminals to see which ones to take). As with the Silver Line, tickets are $2: tickets can be purchased using the machines at the station. The last Blue Line train leaves Airport station shortly after about 12:30AM. Unless your final destination is a Red Line subway stop, this is the easiest way to get into the city. To connect to the Red Line, use the Silver Line instead.

Here is the google map - will take 28-30 minutes ( http://g.co/maps/rtwgd ) Alternate is a taxi which looks to be about $30.00 (takes 8 min, no traffic)

I'm flying in 8pm Friday, hoping to hope over to house of blues and see City & Colour play. Staying at Le Meridian Cambridge and leaving Monday night - any "cant miss" things to do? Already planning to go to this place (I accidentally watched the phantom gourmet with the gf, and now we "have" to go here hahahaha)

I'll be doing a blog post that I'll link back in as well on the things we do, videos, etc. Too bad the fenway tours don't run in Winter (or the duck tours! lol)

Really looking for the ultimate "boston (read: irish) pub" (We'll ditch the leafs & jays gear prior, haha - best I've found is Mr. Dooleys? - http://www.mrdooleys.com/ or Emmets Pub? www.emmetspub.com)

The "MUST GO TO" Italian place that I've found so far is: Rino's Place http://www.rinosplace.com/ Prices look great, was on Diners Drive-ins & Dives, and the positive yelps are huge. That does it for me - Looks like I'll be hitting it for dinner before the airport. Looks unreal (and will try Mike's Pastry on your recommendation as well!)

On Monday morning we're probably going to go walk around MIT & Harvard - just to get the feel of it - if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them (Uni's in Canada are a MUCH different feel then anything I've been to in the states, really want to see this)

The lady wants shopping, it really is too bad that Boston has NO shopping at all that I could find, no good stores, no good malls, no deals or coupons or anything. Right guys? :sarcasm:

Also, to note, I double checked with the Gardens and they serve alcohol to people under 25 IF you have a passport (useful for any Canadians).

Now the big thing, Has anyone seen Phil Kessel in Boston? I've looked over the past few years and each game he doesn't show up - Hoping I can catch a glimpse this time :laugh:

Other things on the agenda:

- Prudential Center Skywalk Observatory (Apparently a PRUferred card @ prudential mall gets discount)
- Sam Adams Brewery Tour (which I hope is worth the early morning hike out there!)
- Freedom Trail (maybe some touristy crap here, lol)
- Regina Pizzeria
- The Black Rose ($2.75 Guinness on Friday... ummm.. yes please! $5 happy hour for a lbs of wings and a personal pitcher? I'll live in the kitchen to be closer to those prices!)
- Faneuil Hall
- Quincy Market
- Mike & Patty's for breaky (Bacon and Egg, Fancy apparently is the thing to get)
- Crema (Harvad yard, reviewed well for coffee)

Maybe I'll add more later :handclap:

Here is a PDF of discounts that the Charlie Card gets you http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/documents/CharlieCard_Discount Booklet.pdf

Some look OK!

Last edited:

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
(Sorry for such a long post)

Here is the google map - will take 28-30 minutes ( http://g.co/maps/rtwgd ) Alternate is a taxi which looks to be about $30.00 (takes 8 min, no traffic)

I'm flying in 8pm Friday, hoping to hope over to house of blues and see City & Colour play. Staying at Le Meridian Cambridge and leaving Monday night - any "cant miss" things to do? Already planning to go to this place (I accidentally watched the phantom gourmet with the gf, and now we "have" to go here hahahaha)

I'll be doing a blog post that I'll link back in as well on the things we do, videos, etc. Too bad the fenway tours don't run in Winter (or the duck tours! lol)

Really looking for the ultimate "boston (read: irish) pub" (We'll ditch the leafs & jays gear prior, haha - best I've found is Mr. Dooleys? - http://www.mrdooleys.com/ or Emmets Pub? www.emmetspub.com)

The "MUST GO TO" Italian place that I've found so far is: Rino's Place http://www.rinosplace.com/ Prices look great, was on Diners Drive-ins & Dives, and the positive yelps are huge. That does it for me - Looks like I'll be hitting it for dinner before the airport. Looks unreal (and will try Mike's Pastry on your recommendation as well!)

On Monday morning we're probably going to go walk around MIT & Harvard - just to get the feel of it - if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them (Uni's in Canada are a MUCH different feel then anything I've been to in the states, really want to see this)

The lady wants shopping, it really is too bad that Boston has NO shopping at all that I could find, no good stores, no good malls, no deals or coupons or anything. Right guys? :sarcasm:

Also, to note, I double checked with the Gardens and they serve alcohol to people under 25 IF you have a passport (useful for any Canadians).

Now the big thing, Has anyone seen Phil Kessel in Boston? I've looked over the past few years and each game he doesn't show up - Hoping I can catch a glimpse this time :laugh:

Other things on the agenda:

- Prudential Center Skywalk Observatory (Apparently a PRUferred card @ prudential mall gets discount)
- Sam Adams Brewery Tour (which I hope is worth the early morning hike out there!)
- Freedom Trail (maybe some touristy crap here, lol)
- Regina Pizzeria
- The Black Rose ($2.75 Guinness on Friday... ummm.. yes please! $5 happy hour for a lbs of wings and a personal pitcher? I'll live in the kitchen to be closer to those prices!)
- Faneuil Hall
- Quincy Market
- Mike & Patty's for breaky (Bacon and Egg, Fancy apparently is the thing to get)
- Crema (Harvad yard, reviewed well for coffee)

Maybe I'll add more later :handclap:

Here is a PDF of discounts that the Charlie Card gets you http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/documents/CharlieCard_Discount Booklet.pdf

Some look OK!

A few bits of advice:

-Drinking at the garden is very expensive - $10 beers get old fast! Hitup one of the bars across the street beforehand. The Fours is a very popular spot, but there are others.

-Mr. Dooleys is a decent bar for the experience you are looking for. I know they do traditional music on some nights, not sure which ones, though.

-Mike's Pastry is OK. Go with Modern across the street if you do not want to wait in a massive line for pastry. Bova's is my personal favorite as they are open 24 hours.

-Rinos is very good food, but the wait can be very very long on a Thurs/Fri/Sat night. Get there early if you can.

-Other Universities to check out - BU, which is one the Green line (B line), and Northeastern which is on the green line (E line).

-Sam Adams Brewery - If you are looking for an informative tour, this may NOT be your best bet. I would recommend the Harpoon Brewery tour instead. As a homebrewer I can tell you it is much more informative/interactive and more fun than the Sam tour, and there is more to do in/around the Harpoon Brewery on the waterfront than near Sam Adams. Tommy Doyle's is a decent pub near Sam Adams if you go there. If you have the time, why not do both? :nod:

Enjoy your stay!

30Rinks

Go To A Leafs Game @
Mar 27, 2010
Toronto
www.30rinks.ca
A few bits of advice:

-Drinking at the garden is very expensive - $10 beers get old fast! Hitup one of the bars across the street beforehand. The Fours is a very popular spot, but there are others.

-Mr. Dooleys is a decent bar for the experience you are looking for. I know they do traditional music on some nights, not sure which ones, though.

-Mike's Pastry is OK. Go with Modern across the street if you do not want to wait in a massive line for pastry. Bova's is my personal favorite as they are open 24 hours.

-Rinos is very good food, but the wait can be very very long on a Thurs/Fri/Sat night. Get there early if you can.

-Other Universities to check out - BU, which is one the Green line (B line), and Northeastern which is on the green line (E line).

-Sam Adams Brewery - If you are looking for an informative tour, this may NOT be your best bet. I would recommend the Harpoon Brewery tour instead. As a homebrewer I can tell you it is much more informative/interactive and more fun than the Sam tour, and there is more to do in/around the Harpoon Brewery on the waterfront than near Sam Adams. Tommy Doyle's is a decent pub near Sam Adams if you go there. If you have the time, why not do both? :nod:

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks! Don't plan on drinking a ton that night for obvious reasons, but a couple at the game wouldn't be bad. Believe me, Toronto (ACC & Skydome) have the highest beer prices in the universe - just gets ridiculous.

Figured I'll try Rino's either @ lunch or an early dinner

Interesting on the brewery tours - there is Steam Whistle in Toronto which I've enjoyed, if anyone has done Steam Whistle & one of these let me know if they compare!

Still compelling other places to go - Thanks for the tips! I'll post my weekend itinerary afterwards w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad