The Vezina One-Shots since 1982?

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Since the rules for the Vezina were different prior to the 1981-82 season we go from there.

What I mean by one-shots were goaltenders that did not have anywhere near the same success outside of their Vezina victory season. We're talking no other Top 5 finishes. Out of respect I'm not including Pelle Lindbergh as he finished 7th in his other Top 10 season but basically played 4 years and likely have gotten more. By those standards there were only 3 such goaltenders.

Pete Peeters 82-83 (1 other Top 10 finish at #10)
Jose Theodore 01-02
Ryan Miller 09-10 (1 other Top 10 finish at #6)

Jim Carey is probably the biggest enigma in goalie history for a guy who granted struggled with injuries but I mean, basically played 2 and a half seasons with 1 and half of those seeing him win the Vezina and finish 3rd.

Anywho from the above Theodore is the worst on paper as Peeters had 2 other noteworthy seasons, finishing 11th in an outside Top 10 vote. Theodore didn't come close after his 02 season but racked up mileage beyond Peeters while Ryan Miller is a rich man's Theodore with seemingly 1 really great season then compiling and looks to be at the end now.

What made these guys rise so high and not contend much afterwards?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Pete Peeters is technically correct, but still a bad answer. He was 5th in allstar voting in the year he was 10th for the Vezina. He was also 4th and 5th in allstar voting before the Vezina was voted on.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, Peeters had already been around for a while when the Vezina system changed in the early-80s, so it's a bit unfair to peg him.

I guess Theodore is your biggest one-shot, with Miller second, although -- like @WhackedGlint3 -- I had the impression of Miller having a longer and more consistent career.

So, the two who stand out to me most are Theodore and Carey.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Jim Carey has this one locked up

His 3rd place finish as a rookie doesn't fully count either. He only played 28 games that year, it was more of an Andrew Hammond type of hot streak

Wins the Vezina in his 2nd year (1st full season)

Is out of the league 3 years later on years of:

59 games, .886/3.08
10 games, .893/2.90
4 games, .829/3.87

Vezina at 21, 73 games the next 4 years at over 3.00 gaa, and is out of the NHL at 25

Last edited:

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Jim Carey has this one locked up

His 3rd place finish as a rookie doesn't fully count either. He only played 28 games that year, it was more of an Andrew Hammond type of hot streak

Wins the Vezina in his 2nd year (1st full season)

Is out of the league 3 years later on years of:

59 games, .886/3.08
10 games, .893/2.90
4 games, .829/3.87

Vezina at 21, 73 games the next 4 years at over 3.00 gaa, and is out of the NHL at 25

Yeah but not due to lack of talent. He suffered injuries and had motivational issues.

Plus if taking winning the Vezina out of it looking at Top 5 finishes, Bob Essensa pops up for his 91-92 on the Jets. He finished 3rd in voting then never on the list. That season was the only one his save percentage was in the .900+ range at .910 and he lead the league in shutouts with 5. Was 13th in Hart voting too.

Daren Puppa might be the greatest 2-shot wonder. Finished 2nd and 3rd in Vezina voting and no other Top 10 or 15 vote seasons and really no other seasons came close to those, on two different teams as well.

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
Does Jose Theodore get too much criticism as a one year wonder? He does have some bad luck in that his peak seasons were interrupted by the lockout, and there were a lot of equipment and play style changes between his Hart year and the end of his career.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Does Jose Theodore get too much criticism as a one year wonder? He does have some bad luck in that his peak seasons were interrupted by the lockout, and there were a lot of equipment and play style changes between his Hart year and the end of his career.

Going by pure numbers his 03-04 season wasn't too far off and he actually finished 19th in Hart voting but below Vokoun who was across the board less than statistically but people voters judged Nashville to be a worse team that Montreal that year. And then there was his 2011-2012 season with the Panthers.

So yeah I don't think he was as much a bust, just had that great reviewed year and probably judged accordingly to that. It's unfair in that respect as having such a great season early in your career as oppose to gradually improving like Hasek.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yeah but not due to lack of talent. He suffered injuries and had motivational issues.

What injuries ended up limiting Carey? I've seen the whole "inner ear concussion" thing bandied about, but that happened after the Bruins had demoted and then released him, and while he was playing on the Blues farm team.

My understanding was that Carey was a pretty good but not amazing goalie helped by a pretty strong Caps defense and defensive system that limited shots against. The league got the book on his lateral deficiencies when he got lit up two years in a row by Mario Lemieux and Co. and he wasn't able to adjust, before he just gave up on hockey altogether.

And then on top of that, his Vezina came in a fluke year where top goalies missed the playoffs or got traded mid year. Take away his sexy 9 shutouts, and you're left with a pedestrian .8927 SV% while facing 24.05 shots/60 minutes (including shutouts). By contrast, without his 7 shoutouts, Theodore is .9241 while facing 30.62 shots/60 minutes in his Vezina year.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What injuries ended up limiting Carey? I've seen the whole "inner ear concussion" thing bandied about, but that happened after the Bruins had demoted and then released him, and while he was playing on the Blues farm team.

My understanding was that Carey was a pretty good but not amazing goalie helped by a pretty strong Caps defense and defensive system that limited shots against. The league got the book on his lateral deficiencies when he got lit up two years in a row by Mario Lemieux and Co. and he wasn't able to adjust, before he just gave up on hockey altogether.

And then on top of that, his Vezina came in a fluke year where top goalies missed the playoffs or got traded mid year. Take away his sexy 9 shutouts, and you're left with a pedestrian .8927 SV% while facing 24.05 shots/60 minutes (including shutouts). By contrast, without his 7 shoutouts, Theodore is .9241 while facing 30.62 shots/60 minutes in his Vezina year.

Hasek arguably should've won it over Carey.

led the league with a .920 sv%. GAA was weak at 2.81, but that was because Buffalo was brutal.

Hasek had an absurd 43.28 GSAA that year, compared to Carey's 12.68 and .906 sv%

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Hasek arguably should've won it over Carey.

led the league with a .920 sv%. GAA was weak at 2.81, but that was because Buffalo was brutal.

Hasek had an absurd 43.28 GSAA that year, compared to Carey's 12.68 and .906 sv%

I think what hurt Hasek (and Brodeur) that year was missing the playoffs. If that was the case, then it should've gone to Puppa or Osgood.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata

It's just weird he was demoted so quickly. Yes the inner ear concussion which to clarify typically means a loss of hearing in the ear, whether partial or primary. Maybe it was an excuse, I also recall him dealing with hamstring tears but I was a kid. He didn't seem to have as long of a leash as you'd think being a former Vezina winner.

I mean, he started 10 games in 97-98 going 3-2-1 with a .893 and 2 shutouts. I don't see how that screams demotion if you've gotten the credibility. Dafoe and Tallas were better on paper with the higher save percentage but I mean Carey just didn't get the minutes you'd expect for his pay and status. Then he's gone. Clearly when he goes to the Blues it's not even an effort on their part starting him 3 games where he has 1 really bad outting but then wins one game being decent. You mention the Penguins issue, Caps were up 3-1 in the series when he started to get pummeled and to be frank I think failing against Francis-Jagr-Cullen and what, Robitaille-Stevens? Then Lemieux comes back in 96.

As for him deserving his 96 win, Caps had 2nd lowest goals against in the East. I think that sums it up pretty well and they only finished as 7th seed. Carey also started the 4th most games that season, 71 to Hasek's 59. I think the only competition for the Vezina that year was him and Brodeur but the judges I think rightfully recognized Brodeur had the far better defensive team and still a higher GAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad