The Venture Bros. cancelled by Adult Swim

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Bittersweet loss. Loved the show, but the production cycle was so long (they were working on 8th season a full 17 years after the pilot aired) that I went very long periods without ever thinking about it.

Shame that they couldn't get even a truncated farewell season on the air.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Between this, ATHF and Squidbillies -- there's no reason to watch Adult Swim anymore.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

So we've got a case of he said, corporate said... though the phrasing almost makes me think they mean non-televised or buying out?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kinda bummed, but I also haven't watched the last 2 seasons anyway. Takes so long between seasons that I forget it exists, and I no longer have cable.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I can kind of understand the decision, simply because it does take them SO long to produce a new season. But if you’re already putting up with that for 17 years, and they’re already working on finishing the 8th and final season, why the hell wouldn’t you just let them finish it?

Ridiculous. AS cancels all the good shows, but gives garbage like Tigtone a second season.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
When it takes 2-3 year on average to complete a season, I can understand why they would cancel it.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I can kind of understand the decision, simply because it does take them SO long to produce a new season. But if you’re already putting up with that for 17 years, and they’re already working on finishing the 8th and final season, why the hell wouldn’t you just let them finish it?

Ridiculous. AS cancels all the good shows, but gives garbage like Tigtone a second season.
They did the same thing to Metalocalypse.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I barely remember this show.

Why did it have such long production issues?

Maybe there was some Adult Swim issues that I never heard about, but I've always just read that the showrunners/writers have a very particular method that borderlines perfectionism on their part that just slows everything to a crawl.

Reactions: Seedtype

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I haven't watched AS in a while

Is Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell still on? I enjoyed that series but it went like 2 years without a new episode (Seems common theme at AS) and haven't seen it in a while

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I barely remember this show.

Why did it have such long production issues?

High quality animation takes time (example: count how many different angles Venture Bros has vs something cheap like Family Guy, which is almost entirely "shot" mid close up on an even plane). And its essentially written, directed and voice acted by two guys

Rip, a genuinely great show and proof you can do an affectionate parody without limiting to people who get the joke

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
High quality animation takes time (example: count how many different angles Venture Bros has vs something cheap like Family Guy, which is almost entirely "shot" mid close up on an even plane). And its essentially written, directed and voice acted by two guys

Rip, a genuinely great show and proof you can do an affectionate parody without limiting to people who get the joke

I would argue that Archer has much, much higher quality animation, and the show runners there still manage to get a season out every year.

There was likely some behind the scenes stuff going on that prevented them from getting a season out every year.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I would argue that Archer has much, much higher quality animation, and the show runners there still manage to get a season out every year.

There was likely some behind the scenes stuff going on that prevented them from getting a season out every year.

Archer's animation is not its strong point. It was never their strong point going back to Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo. But the animation wasn't what made the show good. It was mostly the writing. Maybe even all the writing. Venture Bros is much better animated fundamentally and has only gotten better over the years. Given the high production values, VB still managed to have a new season every couple years. It really wasn't that slow given the quality, but it got axed because it was an expensive show and AT&T is cleaning house in Cartoon Network. Check out their art book. It covers every single episode from season 1 to 6 and additional commentary like what led up to the show's creation as well as a bit of follow up on merchandise, t-shirt club(another loss with the cancellation), and so much other candid content. I hadn't felt that spoiled since the LotR Extended DVDs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad