The Vent Thread: Open Letters, Memos, and Rants

Dutchess

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
The key point was that fans are booing a team which has had nothing to do with the previous 6 or so years of frustration, and his 100% correct. The fans are as bad as the organisation at the moment and quite frankly I think all can agree this season can't end soon enough.

What about the badly run team? Or the fact it took them about 4-5 seasons to fire Ruff? Or about Regier being labelled a hockey genius despite all evidence the contrary? Ott has a point, if your frustrated point it in the right direction. EDIT: I got more. Or an owner that won't speak to the press? Or players that have spend more time whining about ice time than scoring goals? Or a GM that solves a lack of depth at wing by getting rid of our top line RW? There are more.

That's ignoring the point that for 2 seasons fans have wanted a rebuild, now they get one and they boo when the Sabres are bad.

First: there are always going to be ******* fans who boo regardless. Second: the majority of those who boo are booing because of the utter cluelessness this team displays more often than not. They're not booing because of the last six year; that's a copout and a bad one.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I think we've officially run out of things to ***** about as Sabres fans.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
I didn't know you were exaggerating for effect. I now know :dunno:

It's only an exaggeration if it isn't true. Just because he hasn't been to 29 other arenas to compare doesn't mean it isn't. You would also have to go to those 29 arena just to prove he was exaggerating.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's only an exaggeration if it isn't true. Just because he hasn't been to 29 other arenas to compare doesn't mean it isn't. You would also have to go to those 29 arena just to prove he was exaggerating.

He made that claim, I didn't. I wanted to know how he knows what he claimed to know. After he couldn't, it looked to me like the claim was an exaggeration, and a poor one.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Well, it's all anecdotal but when I watch other teams on Center Ice or a national telecast, I don't seem to hear other arenas that are as hard on their team as Sabres fans are. FWIW, the Rogers announcers for the Ottawa game last week brought up the booing on more than one occasion during the broadcast. I've never been a big fan of booing but what bothers me about it is that the door doesn't seem to swing evenly to both sides. To use that Sens game, the booing seemed a lot louder than the cheering after Flynn and Hecht's goals. Quick to boo, slow to cheer is my perception and Ott and Leino (last year) have a right to bring it up, IMO.

I agree with some of the others who have said that the crowd is seems generally dead overall and it isn't just a problem with this year.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Well, it's all anecdotal but when I watch other teams on Center Ice or a national telecast, I don't seem to hear other arenas that are as hard on their team as Sabres fans are. FWIW, the Rogers announcers for the Ottawa game last week brought up the booing on more than one occasion during the broadcast. I've never been a big fan of booing but what bothers me about it is that the door doesn't seem to swing evenly to both sides. To use that Sens game, the booing seemed a lot louder than the cheering after Flynn and Hecht's goals. Quick to boo, slow to cheer is my perception and Ott and Leino (last year) have a right to bring it up, IMO.

I agree with some of the others who have said that the crowd is seems generally dead overall and it isn't just a problem with this year.

that's my biggest problem when it comes to booing and taunting your own team.

If they play bad or really really suck, boo the ever living daylights out of them, but if they play a good game cheer them just as loud.

In the end this is our team, we should enjoy the little highlights we get and not continue booing.

imo

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Ott and Leino (last year) have a right to bring it up, IMO.

A little double standard coming from some people on this topic. They claim it's their right to boo, but tell the players to sthu about it. Hrm? This constitutional/free speech thingy goes both ways, doesn't it?

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
An open memo to Terry from a season ticket holder

Some things going on around here you should be aware of.

Last night you have Vanek who was a minus four say he thought he played well.
You have a coach who says after a loss, I think we played our best game.
You have fans booing/baiting the team.
You have player (s) baiting fans.
Player (s) who have been sent on their way bemoaning the state of affairs in the prized locker room.
Kind of makes you scratch your head and UNDERSTAND the disdain doesn't it?

The pace of change needs to pick up and someone needs to come through with a sledgehammer the day after the season is over. It cant stop at Lindy and Pominville. So you know, Darcy can't be the one swinging it but will get caught up by it.
We will be with you if start over because we see the upside and the ability to grow quickly.

Oh damn and then there is the money angle and how my seats went up a good bit this wonderful off season that included a lockout at the behest of your fellow owners. Again. Oh and my $1146 for rounds 1 and 2 of playoff money is due by the 22nd isn't it. Well I guess still have time to wait on that.
I still have time. I hope I need to pay it though because despite all the crap going on here I want to go to the playoffs and see what happens. Maybe there could be some entertainment then. Cause well you know.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Don't really understand how the players are baiting fans. With regards to Vanek, I missed some of the game but he was competing well in the parts I saw. His passing was laughably off the mark, though.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I love when the fans here bash Golisano but love to kiss "papa" Pegulas and "Uncle" Teds ass.

The best thing about Golisano is that the tickets were far cheaper and the product/talent 20x better.

BUT PEGULAZ DELIVERS SEASON TICKETS HE'S COOLER THEN YOUR OWNER

Can't stand the Golisano hate/Pegula ass kissing I've seen ever since Terry bought the team on here. NEWSFLASH, if it wasn't for Tom Golisano Terry Pegula would have needed to buy the Seattle Sabres from Paul Allen.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I love when the fans here bash Golisano but love to kiss "papa" Pegulas and "Uncle" Teds ass.

The best thing about Golisano is that the tickets were far cheaper and the product/talent 20x better.

Can't stand the Golisano hate/Pegula ass kissing I've seen ever since Terry bought the team on here. NEWSFLASH, if it wasn't for Tom Golisano Terry Pegula would have needed to buy the Seattle Sabres from Paul Allen.

Tickets were probably cheaper everywhere years ago. I'm curious how the ticket prices have changed relative to the rest of the league. At any rate, the market can easily support increased ticket prices due to rampant demand, so it's only natural that prices will (continue to) increase.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

The shortsighted, "must win now, and forever," attitude is more aggravating than anything else. Talk about "what have you done for me lately"... Holy ****

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Can we just stop with all the open letter crap?

Especially with those who seem to go on a stream of consciousness rant, not knowing where it's going but just going full speed ahead-damn the torpedoes!

That's what this rant...ERRRRR, memo sounds like.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Take a step back from the ledge, we are a REBUILDING team who is going to have up and downs, it happens. The sooner you embrace it the better.

If your upset and want to send a message cancel your seats, someone else will love to have them

Last edited:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
An open memo from another STH ....

Mr. Pegula, you have done/are doing so much for the city of Buffalo and the surrounding area. Anyone with knowledge of a computer keyboard can easily research these things and educate themselves. The hiring of Ted Black, Cliff Benson, Ken Sawyer and others in the initial phase of your ownership was a great idea. Ted Black in particular has been easily accessible and a breath of fresh air compared to prior ownerships. The addition of scouts was a great idea and allows the franchise to be in more places and to set actual eyes on future considerations.

The cold shoulder you and the organization seem to give TBN is brilliant. There are better ways to get out anything important to the fans than a dying, ax to grind, newspaper. I personally wish you would have banned Harrington from the locker room. After misquoting Kaleta to Miller, it would have been well deserved in my opinion to ban him the rest of the season from player access, and inform players and coaches to please not talk to Harrington.

The state of the team is in disarray, you know this, the fans know this, the players know this. I have faith that this disarray will be dealt with. Some loudmouth fans will scream and stomp their collective feet, and say things are not being done quick enough. Those fans have every right to be upset with the team. But those same fans view the Sabres season and the building of a solid franchise as a sprint. Quick fixes, firing/trading multiple coaches and players every season until they make the playoffs. Even if it means the future stability of the team is compromised. Others view it as a marathon. A calculated measured approach to a strong franchise. Consisting of smart slow development, smart drafts, no kneejerk reactions full of regret later.

The one thing you need to be careful of is separating yourself from fan and businessman. The line, I'm sure can get blurry at times, but if the past 2 years is any indicator of future events, slow and steady will build a solid franchise and kneejerk reactions mixed with bending to the sprint crowd, will make this team, the team I will always follow nothing but a mere flash in the pan.

The crowd, like the product on the ice is bland, boring and lacks passion. Create an exciting, personality filled, dynamic, hardworking team, and you'll get a crowd engaged, excited, loud, and energized. The crowd won't change until the team changes.

In conclusion, thank you for buying the team, it's great to have you as an asset that creates positivity rather than negativity like some local media and some fans enjoy doing. Good luck Mr. Pegula.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Some of you don't seem to understand and that's ok.

And some do get it.

See what the state of affairs is doing around Terry.

p.s. I called this a memo because I too don't want all these open letters.
Oh and I'm not giving up my tickets ever!

Rant off

Last edited by a moderator:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Clearly anyone that doesn't agree with you is stupid.

Not like Mike Schopp.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
This is a good representation of the fans right now.
Ready to trash each other, the team, the owner, the players, Fire Everyone lol

Fire Darcy, relieve the coach. Trade Vanek and ask Miller what he wants to do and move forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad