The Vegas Golden Knights Have Added an Entire 1st Line in Just 9 months

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Exactly. They paid a huge price to get him. The Jets and Preds probably wanted him too but weren't willing to pay the cost. Vegas knew they had a legit shot at the cup and went for it.
Jets upcoming cap-crunch re-signing young players like Connor and Laine likely lead them to not pursue homeboy Winnipeg-born Stone who likely would've wound up as a pure rental like Stastny last year.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that Marchessault is the one who gets moved to make room for Gusev/Karlsson money. His play this season has been selfish at times and irresponsible at others. He can score, yes, and that's why GMGM will get some quality in return, but not much as a cap dump.

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
They have 2 prospects. That is not a decent pool. It is a puddle.

I'm not sure why multiple people in this thread are obsessed about believing this. They have in addition to Glass and Hague, Schuldt, Whitecloud, Bischoff, various lesser prospects. Gusev's only technically a prospect because he's notgoing to be on an ELC next year, but will likely be pretty cheap as an RFA. They have picks in nearly every round until 2023, only missing a 2021 third rounder.

McPhee has made three big deals:
Tatar for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd. The 2nd and 3rd were other people's picks, and the 1st ended up being a 30th pick, so while the trade was a bust the price ended up being limited.
Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki, and a 2nd rounder. Again, the 2nd rounder was another teams, Tatar was a sunk cost. Pacioretty is probably on the downslope of the career, and Suzuki absolutely looks great, so there will likely be some regrets... but he's also producing hugely in the playoffs and McPhee rightfully wanted to exploit the current window.
Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg, a 2nd round pick. Once again, the 2nd rounder was someone else's, the Lindberg trade was an exchange of insignificant Lindbergs. Brannstrom absolutely is likely to be a 1st pairing defender, but Stone is a 26 year old superstar.

This is in no way the "Vegas’ GM has completely mortgaged the future for the now" that was being claimed.

Reactions: zaqq

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure why multiple people in this thread are obsessed about believing this. They have in addition to Glass and Hague, Schuldt, Whitecloud, Bischoff, various lesser prospects. Gusev's only technically a prospect because he's notgoing to be on an ELC next year, but will likely be pretty cheap as an RFA. They have picks in nearly every round until 2023, only missing a 2021 third rounder.

McPhee has made three big deals:
Tatar for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd. The 2nd and 3rd were other people's picks, and the 1st ended up being a 30th pick, so while the trade was a bust the price ended up being limited.
Pacioretty for Tatar, Suzuki, and a 2nd rounder. Again, the 2nd rounder was another teams, Tatar was a sunk cost. Pacioretty is probably on the downslope of the career, and Suzuki absolutely looks great, so there will likely be some regrets... but he's also producing hugely in the playoffs and McPhee rightfully wanted to exploit the current window.
Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg, a 2nd round pick. Once again, the 2nd rounder was someone else's, the Lindberg trade was an exchange of insignificant Lindbergs. Brannstrom absolutely is likely to be a 1st pairing defender, but Stone is a 26 year old superstar.

This is in no way the "Vegas’ GM has completely mortgaged the future for the now" that was being claimed.

Yeah, I forgot about the FA signings. They do make a difference, especially since the VGK's weakness is on D.

GMGM hasn't traded away ALL of the future, but he has traded away quite a bit of it. He has committed way too much cap space. That franchises short to mid term future will be decided by how he handles that issue.

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
GMGM hasn't traded away ALL of the future, but he has traded away quite a bit of it. He has committed way too much cap space. That franchises short to mid term future will be decided by how he handles that issue.

"Committed way too much cap space" can also be "locked down a core for several years", depending on how you look at it.

I expect they may end up in trouble in a few years, but it isn't because of trades, it is just because they ended up successful right away and thus did not get the several years of high picks that they expected, and thus their ELC pipeline will be limited and they won't have cheap players to cycle in. It's the natural cycle, though, they just launched right into the peak of it rather than on the low point.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yeah, I forgot about the FA signings. They do make a difference, especially since the VGK's weakness is on D.

I'm not a fan of McPhee, but he absolutely made the right moves. His team just made the SCF and he was able to significantly upgrade his team by trading prospects that most likely won't have a significant impact for 2-4 years. Vegas doesn't have a young core or any franchise-changing prospects, so it's not like he's hemorrhaging the future of the franchise. Not to mention he didn't overpay in any trade or signing. He's making the most of their window and has still been able to keep a decent prospect cupboard.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
"Committed way too much cap space" can also be "locked down a core for several years", depending on how you look at it.

I expect they may end up in trouble in a few years, but it isn't because of trades, it is just because they ended up successful right away and thus did not get the several years of high picks that they expected, and thus their ELC pipeline will be limited and they won't have cheap players to cycle in. It's the natural cycle, though, they just launched right into the peak of it rather than on the low point.

I don't think there is any room for interpretation when they are almost at next year's cap already with only 17 players under contract.

They seem to be attractive to FAs, though for the life of me I can't see it. Vegas is a place to visit for a couple of days. It isn't a fit place to live. But to each his own. But that has already been a big factor in their ability to compete and it looks like that will continue.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not a fan of McPhee, but he absolutely made the right moves. His team just made the SCF and he was able to significantly upgrade his team by trading prospects that most likely won't have a significant impact for 2-4 years. Vegas doesn't have a young core or any franchise-changing prospects, so it's not like he's hemorrhaging the future of the franchise. Not to mention he didn't overpay in any trade or signing. He's making the most of their window and has still been able to keep a decent prospect cupboard.

I haven't liked several of his moves - but it is hard to argue with his results.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
As both a Sens fan and a Knights fan, i got to say that it feels weird to cheer for a team that is going to be up against the cap. lol
Lol ,that is funny...Both extremes,one has an owner willing to do anything including the marching band ..To win ...

The other will do anything he can not to spend ,even on hot water for the bathrooms....I wish I was joking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad