The Utica Comets | 2020-2021 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They really let a great chance get away by blowing that 5 on 3 with a penalty of their own.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
WOO gets out on a pass from Bone and he's tripped. 2:48 to go and the Comets get a PP. Can't say they haven't had their opportunities.

Lose another draw.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Forced a pass down low to a guy with nothing to do if gets it but it goes out of play.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Net empty.

Length of the ice rush centered across by Rathbone.

Empty netter and the Comets are done. Continually attempted forced passes through the middle until the failed pass resulted in the puck going up the ice and eventually into their net. Everyone standing still!

Last edited:
Reactions: mossey3535

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
PERIOD 3 ends

Final score Rochester 4 Utica 2

SOG:
Comets - 14 9 10 - 33
Amerks - 9 8 6 - 23

Gillies - 20/23

Gadjovich (7) from Lockwood (3) and Lind (3)
Rathbone (1) from Reinke (6) and Baertschi (5)

3 Stars:
1/ Casey Fitzgerald (Rochetser Americans) 2G
2/ Steven Fogarty (Rochester Americans) 2A
3/ Jonah Gadjovich (Utica Comets) 1G

Next game 3/10/21 vs Rochester Americans 7pm at the Utica Aud

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Not a great game for the utica goalie gillies
Other than a shootout loss where he gave up goals to all three shooters Gillies has been pretty good. Tonight was his first game where he struggled. He has been much better than Kielly.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
They are a man up and it's not much more noticeable than 5 on 5. Anas was everything on the PP and it's been crap without him. He could carry it in, settle it down, make the tape to tape scoring chance. They struggle to do any of those 3 things without him.

Combined with the reports from last year about Boucher and Camper carrying that top line for the Comets, I feel like Lind is a bit of a passenger in the AHL offensively. With his lack of a good defensive game, I don't know how well that bodes for his NHL future.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For sure. This Dipietro situation is one of the most confounding things I've ever seen.
Absolutely true....even Silovs is now getting into some AHL action with the Moose. And Kielly is the backup in Utica and getting lots of action.

Meantime, their best goaltending prospect just sits in VanCity cooling his heels. Can anyone explain it?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Absolutely true....even Silovs is now getting into some AHL action with the Moose. And Kielly is the backup in Utica and getting lots of action.

Meantime, their best goaltending prospect just sits in VanCity cooling his heels. Can anyone explain it?

Benning saw Mikey play 2 games in Vancouver in 2 successive seasons and he was lit up for 7 goals in each contest. He didn't improve from one season to the next. He has made a decision that the kid isn't NHL material. Don't be surprised to see him go at the TDL.

Reactions: m9 and Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Benning saw Mikey play 2 games in Vancouver in 2 successive seasons and he was lit up for 7 goals in each contest. He didn't improve from one season to the next. He has made a decision that the kid isn't NHL material. Don't be surprised to see him go at the TDL.
Likely Dipietro is only worth a fourth (at best) though.
After watching the Utica goalies this season, it looks like they could use Mikey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Thought the team actually played pretty well in this game and controlled the pace 5-on-5. The difference in the game was Utica's PP - scored 5-on-3 but had tons of opportunities 5-on-4 and was terrible plus conceded a SHG. Cull needs to take Reinke off the top unit and put Rathbone there.

- absolutely terrific game for Jett Woo. Looked far more confident with the puck on his stick - terrific stretch pass to Baertschi for a breakaway, made a couple nice rushes with the puck, and even made a really nice read to get himself a breakaway (which he flubbed horribly). And in the 3 games I've seen, still hasn't made a significant positional error or turnover. Really promising stuff.

- Rathbone another very good performance as well. Rink is generally tilted when this pairing is on the ice and they're very obviously the two best prospects in the team. Goal was an absolute bullet and his skating is a step above everyone else at this level. Takes the puck from his own zone and hauls it up the ice with ease. Problem will be that he's such a similar player to Hughes who plays basically the identical role as a skill LS defender. Will be hard to get both in the team getting the offensive looks they need while also filling defensive/PK minutes on the left side.

- Lockwood is a real Charlie Hustle at this level and does a great job of getting in the way and breaking up plays and forcing turnovers, and is good on the PK but I still find him a hard projection because he looks so small/weak on the ice. Had a noticeable game although his hands and finishing were absolutely horrible.

- Lind is cute with the puck on his stick and has figured out how to pick up points at this level but is still skating in cement. Does generate offense for his line and the players around him but if you threw him in an NHL game right now he'd be completely left behind.

- Focht I thought also skated poorly in this game.

- Gadjovich scored early but was pretty anonymous for the rest of the game. Like Lind, he's figured out this level in his 3rd year but it's difficult to imagine him hanging in an NHL game, and he hits waiver eligibility in 6 months.

- Jasek fought the puck and muffed some pretty easy passes.

- Teves and Eliot are non-prospects but chew through icetime effectively at this level. Will be interesting to see what happens this offseason with the team's depth. Both Teves and Eliot are on expiring contracts and pretty obviously guys you wouldn't use a contract slot bringing back ... but also the fact that we took 0 defenders in the 2019 draft means that there is literally nobody turning pro and joining Utica for 2020-21. The organization is going to have to find a few defenders from somewhere.

- St. Louis prospect Tyler Tucker had an absolute nightmare game. The few occasions Rochester looked dangerous, a Tucker error was usually the reason.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Totally agree with everything you said about Rathbone and Woo. I have said such in several posts since Rathbone arrived and have pumped Woo even before. However, the 2 together are a real joy top watch. Wish this league was normal. It would be really interesting to see how they stack up against Tampa and other NHL team's top prospects.

I even demonstratively yelled for Rathbone's presence on the 5 on 3 PP and then there he was and voila a goal within seconds. They keep hammering home the idea that this a development unlike any other. If that's the case, put Rathbone on the top PP unit and keep him there.

He hasn't been killing penalties maybe to keep him healthy, but he and Woo would make for a duo dangerous to get the puck going the other way shorthanded. Lockwood and J.Stevens would be a great twosome to go with them. Both have been very good on the kill.

Ah, what do I know? I 'm not a coach.

Lockwood's offensive skills don't match his defensive and forechecking skills. That's something he really need to work on. Otherwise he is destined to become an AHL top energy/checking line player the likes of Carter Bancks at the top of his game.

Bancks couldn't put the puck in the net on most nights either, though he usually had multiple chances created by his work along with Hamilton and Zalewski. They were a nightmare for every single 1st line in the AHL. Those top line guys had trouble even getting the puck out of their own zone on any shift short of icing it which left them gasping and bent over and having to face a fresh unit, usually the Comets top line.

Lind just doesn't find success without the ability to ride the coattails of the team's legitimate top forwards. He is a leech. He feeds off the talents of his linemates. He has trouble wearing the other hat. That's been the case since Anas left. Nobody is feeding his bloodlust.

Focht has looked a lot like this every game. The difference is the kind of line he has centered. The first 5 games he skated with Gadjovich on his left and Lockwood on his right. one game it was Joshua on the right. Those 3 guys are hard checking, in your face, disruptive forwards. All Focht had to do was either get them the puck moving out of their own end, hit them moving into the O-zone, or dump it and let them go after ti. His job was to remain the high man in the zone or swoop in and pick up the loose pucks they created and create a scoring chance off of it.

The last 3 games he has been moved up the lineup to center 2 more skill types in McKenzie and N. Stevens. Focht has been pointless and his wings have each garnered a point on the PP (where Focht has no contribution) and another even strength goal by Teves with assists by the 2 of them. He doesn't appear ready to take on the job of supporting 2 wings of a more skilled level. With him neither of them has been particularly noticeable. Jasek has been a better fit for them. Problem with Jasek he hasn't been doing anything to help himself. It's been a lot of what you pointed out on his behalf.

Tucker has been a disaster since Santini was called up. Steve sheltered this kid well. Those mistakes you saw were often cleaned up him. He is a rookie in the St.Louis organization with a heck of a lot less promise than the 2 the Comets are showcasing.

Teves and Eliot have been on my low radar screen since they first arrived in Utica. They have always reminded me of nothing more than the ECHL defenders the Comets have put on the ice over the course of their history here. They have some good shifts. They do something that makes you say, "Good job." However, it's not what you say the next time. Their mistakes are frequent and repetitive. Most common the bad pass, the failure to do their job around the net, poor puck skills, lack of physicality, poor positioning, getting walked, etc. Eliot is the better of the 2, but not good enough to be taken seriously as a regular top 6 D-man at this level. Which says all you have to know about Teves.

The issue that galls me about Teves is the $700K salary he is making. Besides Baertschi, he is the highest paid Comet. He makes 10 times what the other 3 Vancouver D are getting. Anas and Walker were $300k guys which is where McKenzie's checks fall. N.Stevens, Joshua, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Lockwood, Focht, McGing, Kaspick Tucker, and Jackson are ELC players making the $70k range paycheck.

That check Teves cashes is outright robbery and again we have to question the signings Benning makes. At least one might be able to rationalize the $700K that Rafferty is collecting riding around in the cab. He only made $125k when he was putting up the third best point totals for all D-men in the AHL, and #1 for rookies while being named to the AHL All Rookie Team, the AHL All Star Game, and the AHL Second All-Star Team. Compare his accomplishments to Teves on the same Comets team in 2019-20, 29GP-0G/2A/2Pts. I don't normally begrudge a guy his salary. I have a, "Hey get what you can get." attitude, but this is an out and out travesty.

The team in general did not play up to it's normal level. No matter the SOG or their chances. It was a weak game compared to their usual outings this season. Only one other time did they play like this and that was the second game of the season when they lost to Syracuse 6-1 before Tampa got to their roster. Utica defeated this same Rochester team last Friday night 7-2 and the Amerks played no better than they did last night. Same keeper as well. Agreed that Gillies had a bad night, but the Comets didn't put the puck in the ocean and went 1/8 on the PP where they had trouble just getting the puck into the Rochester end.

They have a whole week to get their act together and GM Johnson has that amount of time to bulk up his team's roster. Playing with only 11 forwards on the team and knowing one of them is banged up and maybe more is the epitome of shit management.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Totally agree with everything you said about Rathbone and Woo. I have said such in several posts since Rathbone arrived and have pumped Woo even before. However, the 2 together are a real joy top watch. Wish this league was normal. It would be really interesting to see how they stack up against Tampa and other NHL team's top prospects.

I even demonstratively yelled for Rathbone's presence on the 5 on 3 PP and then there he was and voila a goal within seconds. They keep hammering home the idea that this a development unlike any other. If that's the case, put Rathbone on the top PP unit and keep him there.

He hasn't been killing penalties maybe to keep him healthy, but he and Woo would make for a duo dangerous to get the puck going the other way shorthanded. Lockwood and J.Stevens would be a great twosome to go with them. Both have been very good on the kill.

Ah, what do I know? I 'm not a coach.

Lockwood's offensive skills don't match his defensive and forechecking skills. That's something he really need to work on. Otherwise he is destined to become an AHL top energy/checking line player the likes of Carter Bancks at the top of his game.

Bancks couldn't put the puck in the net on most nights either, though he usually had multiple chances created by his work along with Hamilton and Zalewski. They were a nightmare for every single 1st line in the AHL. Those top line guys had trouble even getting the puck out of their own zone on any shift short of icing it which left them gasping and bent over and having to face a fresh unit, usually the Comets top line.

Lind just doesn't find success without the ability to ride the coattails of the team's legitimate top forwards. He is a leech. He feeds off the talents of his linemates. He has trouble wearing the other hat. That's been the case since Anas left. Nobody is feeding his bloodlust.

Focht has looked a lot like this every game. The difference is the kind of line he has centered. The first 5 games he skated with Gadjovich on his left and Lockwood on his right. one game it was Joshua on the right. Those 3 guys are hard checking, in your face, disruptive forwards. All Focht had to do was either get them the puck moving out of their own end, hit them moving into the O-zone, or dump it and let them go after ti. His job was to remain the high man in the zone or swoop in and pick up the loose pucks they created and create a scoring chance off of it.

The last 3 games he has been moved up the lineup to center 2 more skill types in McKenzie and N. Stevens. Focht has been pointless and his wings have each garnered a point on the PP (where Focht has no contribution) and another even strength goal by Teves with assists by the 2 of them. He doesn't appear ready to take on the job of supporting 2 wings of a more skilled level. With him neither of them has been particularly noticeable. Jasek has been a better fit for them. Problem with Jasek he hasn't been doing anything to help himself. It's been a lot of what you pointed out on his behalf.

Tucker has been a disaster since Santini was called up. Steve sheltered this kid well. Those mistakes you saw were often cleaned up him. He is a rookie in the St.Louis organization with a heck of a lot less promise than the 2 the Comets are showcasing.

Teves and Eliot have been on my low radar screen since they first arrived in Utica. They have always reminded me of nothing more than the ECHL defenders the Comets have put on the ice over the course of their history here. They have some good shifts. They do something that makes you say, "Good job." However, it's not what you say the next time. Their mistakes are frequent and repetitive. Most common the bad pass, the failure to do their job around the net, poor puck skills, lack of physicality, poor positioning, getting walked, etc. Eliot is the better of the 2, but not good enough to be taken seriously as a regular top 6 D-man at this level. Which says all you have to know about Teves.

The issue that galls me about Teves is the $700K salary he is making. Besides Baertschi, he is the highest paid Comet. He makes 10 times what the other 3 Vancouver D are getting. Anas and Walker were $300k guys which is where McKenzie's checks fall. N.Stevens, Joshua, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Lockwood, Focht, McGing, Kaspick Tucker, and Jackson are ELC players making the $70k range paycheck.

That check Teves cashes is outright robbery and again we have to question the signings Benning makes. At least one might be able to rationalize the $700K that Rafferty is collecting riding around in the cab. He only made $125k when he was putting up the third best point totals for all D-men in the AHL, and #1 for rookies while being named to the AHL All Rookie Team, the AHL All Star Game, and the AHL Second All-Star Team. Compare his accomplishments to Teves on the same Comets team in 2019-20, 29GP-0G/2A/2Pts. I don't normally begrudge a guy his salary. I have a, "Hey get what you can get." attitude, but this is an out and out travesty.

The team in general did not play up to it's normal level. No matter the SOG or their chances. It was a weak game compared to their usual outings this season. Only one other time did they play like this and that was the second game of the season when they lost to Syracuse 6-1 before Tampa got to their roster. Utica defeated this same Rochester team last Friday night 7-2 and the Amerks played no better than they did last night. Same keeper as well. Agreed that Gillies had a bad night, but the Comets didn't put the puck in the ocean and went 1/8 on the PP where they had trouble just getting the puck into the Rochester end.

They have a whole week to get their act together and GM Johnson has that amount of time to bulk up his team's roster. Playing with only 11 forwards on the team and knowing one of them is banged up and maybe more is the epitome of shit management.

Good post. I'll have to go back and watch the first few games of the season when I get a chance.

Agreed that Teves' contract is revolting. How he got a 1-way deal is one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. That said, I disagree he's been playing poorly - he's barely put a foot wrong in the last 3 games and is chewing through a lot of minutes pretty effectively. Zero chance he'll ever play in another NHL game, but useful enough at this level.

Agreed on Lockwood. His hustle is impressive and eye-catching but he's small and slight and shows no hands or finishing ability whatsoever. He's also an older prospect - drafted a year earlier than Lind/Gadjovich who are coming up on waiver eligibility - so has to be held to a higher standard than if he was 20. I think just his motor and skating makes him more likely to play in the NHL than Lind/Gadjovich but some here are penciling him as 'NHL ready' and I couldn't disagree more. And yeah, if he can't finish or produce then Carter Bancks isn't an unreasonable comparison. It would be a 'downside' comparison but is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad