The Utica Comets | Final Thread | THANK YOU, UTICA!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets with a listless, no matter effort after a good first period in which they out shot the Amerks 15-8 but trailed 1-0.

Anas scored the lone Comets goal on a penalty shot at 19:24 of the 3rd period.

Better than a shutout but the game was played by 2 teams that didn't exactly go at it like it mattered in any way, which it didn't.

Will Cranley, playing his 1st game since his Jr season was halted in the 2019-2020 season, more than 1 year ago, played a respectable game and was called upon several times to stop Amerks in glorious scoring positions as the result of pucks handed directly to them by various Comets.

The only Vancpouver prospects playing up front tonight were Focht and Jasek at center.

Woo, Teves, and Eliot were on D.

For my 2 cents the only prospects with a chance beyond Abbotsford are Focht and Woo only because both are currently rookies and have some time to develop their games.

Jasek and Eliot are RFAs.
Jasek was never given a sniff of the NHL which clearly says to me that they see him as I do. He will never be and NHL center. He came to NA as a winger and at the tail end of the 2017-18 season he showed a spark at RW putting up 7 points including 3 goals in 7 games. Then Benning in his infinite wisdom and endless failure to provide his farm with centers decided in the absence of centers in Utica that Jasek would be developed as a center. He played 2 seasons doing the same thing. Making passes that rarely connected but when they did they were to the Comets top forwards and he picked up 29 and 27 points. His stick handling, faceoff, and shooting skills were all less than impressive.

This season in a watered down AHL he put up 23 Pts in 27 GP. If he were NHL material, he would have eaten this league alive. As it was, he tied last season's AHL scoring leader, Sam Anas, for the Comets lead in scoring with 23 points each. An asterisk would be used to show that Anas did it in 5 less games because he was in St. Louis for a bit. Anas got a thank you with a call up. Jasek was never considered.

Eliot has registered 9 points/2 G in 52 games with the Comets. It would not surprise me if he didn't get a QO, but with the Canucks state of affairs at Defense I'd take a guess that the Abbotsford fan base will see him on the roster next season. Benning has never considered who can or can't do the job in the AHL. He has simply signed what he already had on hand since it saved him having to do any kind of shopping to outfit his farm.

Teves is a UFA G6. He was the highest paid "prospect" on the Comets this season at a ridiculous $700,000. Baertschi was the highest paid Comet but he is not a prospect. To bring him back would require his willingness to take a huge pay cut, because he not worth any more than a top ELC player's AHL check at 10% of his pay this season. He's interesting because I'm not sure there's a GM anywhere that gives him that kind of money. How or why Benning did would have to be explained by JB himself , if he actually could.

The guy played 4 seasons at NCAA Princeton, was not drafted, but was signed to 2 seasons by Benning on a 1st year 2-way of $700K/$125K and a 1-way $700k for the 2nd. His first season saw him used as depth for the Comets playing only 29 games and saw him sent to the Zoo for 4 games to get back to playing shape. He put up 2 Pts in 29 GP. For that amazing season he got a $575,000 raise.

Let me give you my prediction as to the Abbotsford roster next season.
Forwards:
Carson Focht
Kole Lind
Jonah Gadjovich

Defense:
Jett Woo

Guillaume Brisebois
Ashton Sautner
These 2 will be signed as the team's veteran leadership. Sautner has been in the organization for 6 seasons and yet has only played 246 games due to being used as depth to begin, then suffering long term injuries, and sitting out all but 2 games in Manitoba this season while riding out the rest in the Vancouver Taxi.
Brisebois has been on hand for 4 seasons including 9 games in Laval and 5 for the Comets before suffering an injury that ended this season 6 games short of the Comets remaining games. He has played 9 unimpressive games with Vancouver. In spite of being in the mix for 4 seasons his total GP are 179.
The total GP by each of these guys does not reach the number the AHL uses to determine a player is a veteran. They need 261-320 to be considered an Veteran Exempt and 321+ to be considered a Veteran. This frees up spots for Benning to sit guys on the farm to be used as call-ups that might reach those Vet numbers. He has placed as many as 9 at one time meaning only 6 could play and one had to be a VE. So when he didn't have a VE player amongst his vets only 5 of the Vets could play causing the rest to be healthy scratches at the AHL level. One night that actually meant an ECHL call-up had to play to give them 4 lines that night. Benning has done this regularly with the farm. The problem was because those guys were there he never bothered to sign experienced non NHL players to the roster so that when he depleted the farm's roster as it was obviously going to happen there were no good players to step in and the ECHL squadron provided by GM Ghost Johnson had to fill in and and that was a disaster.

Right now the Canucks are carrying 8 D-men on their roster and 3 more are in the Taxi. One is Sautner so subtract him and that's 10. There are many solutions already proposed by posters as if they know what Benning will do, has to do, can't do, or won't do.

Hughes is 10.2(c) ?
Chatfield, Rafferty, and Teves are UFA G6.
Sautner, Hamonic, and Edler are UFAs.
Juolevi, Eliot, and Brisebois are RFAs

Myers
Schmidt
Rathbone
Bowey
These 4 are signed. Bowey may go unprotected, but I don't see Seattle interested.
I see:
Juolevi re-signed
Hamonic
Edler
Both do what they have to stay at home and Benning wants them both.

That's 6 in Vancouver with a 7th already on a cheap contract and Benning in cap Hell will hold on to him.
Chatfield, Brisebois, and Sautner will re-sign for small raises. None of these 3 has a lot of value on the free market.

Chatty will be on the Vancouver roster if they can't figure out how to get someone better. He would make 8.

Someone will take a flyer on Rafferty on the free market based upon his one big AHL season. He will be a decent AHL player if nothing else. He was a 1-way $700K contract and can't exactly press anyone for more . I don't see Benning being one of them.

Abbotsford:
Woo
Sautner
Brisebois
Teves
Eliot

Don't be surprised t see Chatfield or Olli back there at least for a time. Benning is going to try and find another NHL level D-man somehow. The Canucks don't have any other D prospects that are going to be here next season.

Toni Utunen is 21 and just finished 51 GP in the Liiga and recorded 5 Pts.

Joni Jurmo just turned 19 and is signed for '21-22 in the Liiga.

Jacob Truscott just turned 19 and will enter the U of Michigan this Fall.

Viktor Persson will turn 20 on Nov 7. he has been playing in HockeyEttan, the Swedish equivalent of the ECHL. a 7th round selection isn't looking all that promising to begin with.

He'll percolate in Sweden like the 2 above will do in the Liiga and Truscott in the NCAA. See how long the BC masses support an AHL team with nary a promise of NHL prospects.

I'll address the forwards tomorrow.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
With the Comets season officially coming to an end, and thus, the Canucks' affiliation with them concluding, I'm hereby designating this the "Thank you, Utica" thread. Thank you to the community in Utica for looking after the Canucks' prospects and developing players over the past 8 seasons. Thank you to the fans who regularly contributed here to update us on the goings on on the farm. You're a terrific group of people, and I want to wish you all the best on your new affiliation with New Jersey.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Definitely looks weird in red.

I think they should have completely changed everything honestly.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I am actually quite upset we're losing this resource, now we'll all be subjected to homer local canuck fans telling us every prospect is going to make it.

That was the beauty of Utica, the completely impartial, yet really well spoken and educated hockey analysis....bad goalie gets the shoutouts, but he's not alone.

I feel like I'm going to be tracking Jersey prospects from now on, just to get access to the really good hockey analysis the Utica fans have provided us.

Also, Jersey has been drafting a lot, there should be many bright young prospects gracing the Aud in the coming years.....

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Adding my thanks to the city and fans of Utica, and the posters here who kept us so informed.
The players talk of how well they were treated and supported by the fans over the years. Can't get higher accolades than that.

Wishing Utica all the best in the future with their new affiliation. :thumbu:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I'm going to miss the fans from utica. Their passion and enthusiasm for the the game and team will be very hard to duplicate in another market. For that reason I wished they didn't relocate.

It's rare to find fans that share my passion for a team, yet disdain for management and ownership. I suppose I felt bonded by our shared ambivalence to the organization.

It's unfortunate that the organization couldn't give them the cup the city and fans deserve. Hopefully it will come soon.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Definitely looks weird in red.

I think they should have completely changed everything honestly.
Yeah, maybe it's just because it's the opposite end of the colour wheel, going from the cool tones to warm tones but I really like the logo so I probably wouldn't have changed it either. That logo suited the Canucks colours so well.

Comets jerseys > Canucks jerseys all day

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
In post #827 above I gave my predictions of exactly who you can anticipate as D-men in Abbotsford based upon the Canucks players signed for next season, those I feel Benning will re-sign, and what is coming through the Vancouver draft picks.

On this post I'll address the Forwards.
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Pearson
Roussel
Virtanen
Motte
Hoglander
MacEwen
Highmore
Beagle
Eriksson
That's 12

Pettersson is an RFA,but does anyone doubt he will have a contract?

Brandon Sutter is a UFA. He is attached to Benning at the hip. He flat out loves the guy. I have read many posters' comments of the opinion he will be cut loose, another Canuck who walks with no return, which has been Benning's MO for years. I think he will get another contract. Yes/N0, but let's lookm at him as a yes for now.

Podkolzin is supposedly a lock to be in Vancouver next season. I never believe European players are locks to guarantee themselves in Vancouver until I see them still in NA after training camp ends. I'll grant the nod from so many posters.

People want to write off Jake, Sutter, and Eriksson. That's up to them, but the resolution of these 3 is still up in the air. I said I see Sutter re-signed and Eriksson will be a permanent member of the press box.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Benning tries to trade Virtanen. Unless he is cleared of any wrongdoing in the current sexual assault issue, no team is going to touch him. If he is cleared look for Benning to keep him. He already has a contract. I'm not going to count him at this point.

Jake will be gone. Some combination of 2 of these 3 will be Canucks

Hawryluk, Highmore, Bailey, and Michaelis are RFAs. Not a one is a lock. I would think Bailey, with the season he was having before his injury, and Hawryluk will get QOs to play in Abbotsford as stashed forwards to serve the Canucks as injury replacement players. Bailey could actually be signed to play for the Canucks. I would say MacEwen and Bailey are in the same boat. That boat is rudderless and might have some leaks, but it's still afloat. They would be cheap bottom 6 players who have given solid efforts when used.

Highmore had been an NHL/AHL tweener for the Chicago Blackhawks for 3 seasons before this one. He has been all NHL this season with both Chicago, but was traded for Gaudette and finished the season in Vancouver. Benning has been reluctant to dump a guy he just acquired in a trade. He is used to playing AHL/NHL and would likely accept that role again. He can't leave anyways. So, either Benning doesn't offer a QO and he walks or he is signed for the same role.

I think Michaelis proved he is not NHL ready. He was a a first year pro playing on a $700k 1-way. He is another Bennning signing for a contract that made no sense. It's a Teves contract only for a forward. He give them that kind of contract in order to pretty much assure they will sign. He is AHL material, but can go back home to Germany and make more than the contract he should be offered this off season. I see him in Germany. Could easily be wrong.

Vesey, Boyd, and Graovac are UFAs. None are going to be getting offers from other NHL teams begging for their services.
Vesey has been a pro 5 seasons and played for 4 teams, 3 in the last 2 seasons. It's obvious to all who watch objectively he doesn't have much to offer. He's not ready to jump at a 2-way. He's not ready to play in the AHL period. He will walk if not offered a 1-way and the Canucks have better options in house. I scratch him.
Boyd is kind of like Highmore with AHL and NHL play behind him. If willing to take a 2-way he could get re-signed to play in Abbotsford as a replacement stash.
Graovac would be eager to sign the same contract he has had with Vancouver the past 2 seasons. Playing in Abbotsford wouldn't displease him though he would rather be in Vancouver and several posters seemed to agree with him.

The Canucks also have Kole Lind and Lukas Jasek as RFAs. I think both get QOs. Lukas to be a center for the AHL team. Lind is most likely going to be in the same boat. 2 centers that aren't centers, but make it easier for Benning to fill the middle slots.

Gadjovich and Lockwood are still ELC players. Both should play the 2 remaining games. Lind should be with them and well as both Rathbone and Juolevi, but I wouldn't bet on Green seeing it the same way.

The only remaining forward from the Utica Comets is Carson Focht, the 3rd center. Get Graovac signed and Benning's center problems are solved.

Abbotsford
C
Graovac (not drafted by Vancouver)
Lind
Jasek
Focht

Now you need 8 forwards. Lets put Vancouver's drafted prospect forwards here.
Gadjovich
Lockwood
Ethan Keppen
Yep that's it

Artyom Manukyan is not coming over.
Karel Plasec is already signed in the Czech League for '21-22.
Arvid Costmar is signed in the SHL for '21-22 where he had 1 pt in 22GP this season.
Jackson Kuntz will, be at NCAA N. Dakota
Dmitri Zlodeyev won't turn 20 until next February (2022).

That's what they have in the pipeline. So what do we add to the 3 Vancouver prospects?

Gadjovich (Still can't skate with NHL players. If they can afford to let him just hang out at the net front and hope he might eventually catch up to backcheck, maybe Vancouver, but it would be because he's all they got)
Lockwood (a large number of posters believe he will be a Canuck. Could be.
Keppen (Raw as they come, but a first year ELC unless they let him go back to Jrs for another season. He played this season on an ATO specifically so he would still keep his amateur status.) I think he will go back to Jrs., but you can never tell.

Out of this bunch you will get the big majority of the Abbotsford roster. They are what's available.

Gadjovich
Lockwood
Bailey (Vet)
MacEwen
Hawryluk
Highmore
Michaelis (I think he goes back to Germany)
Boyd (Vet) [A UFA who would take an NHL contract elsewhere if he could get it.]
I already gave you these 4 above
Graovac (Vet)
Lind
Jasek (Vet Exempt)
Focht

That's 12 forwards. Don't think they will all be there, but that's what the Canucks could try to harness. 5 were drafted by Vancouver and of that 5, 2 will already be entering their 4th season and a third will be entering his 5th.
Benning may even keep Keppen because he needs more bodies.

The D I processed in the above post are:
Brisebois (RFA)
Sautner (UFA)
Woo
Teves (UFA G6)
Eliot
That's 5

Brisebois and Sautner in spite of how long they have been in the organization have not played enough games to be veterans according to AHL rules. They Both have to be re-signed.
Teves as a UFA will have to take quite a paycut from the $700K he earned this season.

Rafferty is also a UFA G6, but based on his 2019-20 AHL season (AHL All-Rookie team, AHL All-Star Game, AHL Most Assists by Rookie, AHL Second All-Star Team, #3 scoring D-man in the AHL, 2nd most assists by a D-man in the AHL) he is going to get an offer from somebody no doubt. If Benning has the money to invest this kid would be a bet to be the #1 point man on the Abbotsford D.
He could be #6

There are no D-men beyond Woo in the pipeline for next season.

They have a majority of the 2019-20 roster minus the big guns of Boucher, Goldobin. and Baertschi. Bailey would be the top remaining scorer from that season's team. It could be a good team, weak on D, and room for 2 or 3 more guys with a lot of AHL/NHL experience. 2 could be considered Vets and 1 on D would be a good idea and a center is necessary since the team would only have 4 going in and 2 are not centers. Jasek or Lind couple easily shift to the RW and move into the middle when/if needed.

It will not be a team that's prospect loaded by any means. You will be watching a team without much chance of most becoming actual NHL regulars.

Thanks for considering my sense of what's going to be.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
thanks for keeping it real, utica fans, and for all the insight on the young'uns.

and @Bad Goalie i don't know what kind inter-state travel is feasible in WNY right now, but if you can drive out to the south wedge and have a dogtown plate for me ;)

Are you talking about the south wedge in Rochester NY? If you are, that's where I was raised from age 4 until I left for the Mohawk Valley after college graduation. Best hotdogs on earth at a bunch of dog joints competing with each other for the best hot sauce. They became so popular that regular diners/restaurants had to figure out how to offer similar digs in order to keep their customers satisfied. I could rattle off a list for you and a slew of them are still operating.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@Bad Goalie, you are a gem. Maybe the Eastman Museum takes me in on an internship basis and I'll end up in WNY one day.

This community will miss you.

You will still find me on your site off and on and definitely on the Utica Comets page of the HF Boards New Jersey Devils site. If you get that internship let me know. I'd love to meet you there.

Reactions: vanuck

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Official changing of the colors. I'm happy they are staying with the branding and keeping the shield logo.

I like the new colour scheme. It looks sharp.

I also like that the Comets acknowledge the only way to clean off the Canucks stink is fire.

Utica fans have been great here, and I wish the organization the best. Although I was hoping, way back, for Abbotsford to have ties to Vancouver, I never wanted to strip Utica of their team. I'm glad they are staying.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Eliot .. It would not surprise me if he didn't get a QO, but with the Canucks state of affairs at Defense I'd take a guess that the Abbotsford fan base will see him on the roster next season. Benning has never considered who can or can't do the job in the AHL. He has simply signed what he already had on hand since it saved him having to do any kind of shopping to outfit his farm.

... This frees up spots for Benning to sit guys on the farm to be used as call-ups that might reach those Vet numbers. ...

... There are many solutions already proposed by posters as if they know what Benning will do, has to do, can't do, or won't do.
I see:
Juolevi re-signed
Hamonic
Edler
Both do what they have to stay at home and Benning wants them both.

That's 6 in Vancouver with a 7th already on a cheap contract and Benning in cap Hell will hold on to him.
... Rafferty ...will be a decent AHL player if nothing else. He was a 1-way $700K contract and can't exactly press anyone for more . I don't see Benning being one of them.

Benning is going to try and find another NHL level D-man somehow. ....

I found the above post depressing to read, but perhaps not for the same reason as some people. I'm really hoping that this is the offseason in which Benning becomes the former GM of the Canucks so that we won't need to discuss what Benning will or won't do.

Again, thanks for all your hard work, BG.

Reactions: vanuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Final score -

Utica Comets 3 Rochester Americans 1

SOG:
Amerks - 9 9 16 = 34
Comets - 11 12 14 = 37

PP:
Amerks - 0/2
Comets - 1/4

Arseneau (4) from Cameron (2) and Eliot (4)
Woo (3) from N. Stevens (12) and Tucker (6)
J. Stevens (6) from McKenzie (8) and Tucker (6)

3 Stars:
1)Vincent Arseneau (Utica Comets) 1 G
2) MikeyDiPietro (Utica Comets) 33/34
3) Jett Woo (Utica Comets) 1 G

The Comets finished the season with a sparkling 12W/2L record on home ice.

Tonight was a bittersweet victory. It was a well deserved hard fought victory. It was also the last time the Utica fan base will cheer on a Vancouver based hockey team. The Comets were reborn 8 years ago. The city and the surrounding area embraced that moment with glee. From the middle of the 2014-15 season to tonight's game the number of people allowed int0 the building bought every ticket. Sold out season after season. Season ticket sales had to be stopped at around 3,500 in order to have some tickets to sell to the general public. However, when the box office opened to sell those extra seats, the line went forever as the people bought up most of the tickets for the rest of the season. In spite of the lack of commitment from the Vancouver management, the teams were supported and embraced by the fan base win or lose. The Comets were Utica's team and the city took the players in and treated them as their own. The players to a man will tell anyone that asks that if you have to play in the AHL there is no better place to park your skates.

So long Vancouver. Thanks for bringing hockey back to the Mohawk Valley. The support the city gave to your kids has lit up the minor hockey world and made this city a coveted location for NHL teams to park their prospects.

Just wanted to say a big Thank You to every Utica fan who has ever swung by this forum. Whether there was good or bad news about our prospects, I always appreciated your guys' feedback and I'll miss the camaraderie we had going. Especially with BG! Hopefully we'll see each other again on this board and that you guys will get much better support from the parent club than our clueless management gave you going forward. Utica is such an underrated hockey town and personally I wish we could've stayed. Great location, atmosphere and a rabid fanbase just like in Canada.

If Utica goes on a playoff run and we aren't facing you guys, I hope your city gets a Calder Cup. Cheers y'all.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Are you talking about the south wedge in Rochester NY? If you are, that's where I was raised from age 4 until I left for the Mohawk Valley after college graduation. Best hotdogs on earth at a bunch of dog joints competing with each other for the best hot sauce. They became so popular that regular diners/restaurants had to figure out how to offer similar digs in order to keep their customers satisfied. I could rattle off a list for you and a slew of them are still operating.

ya, rochester. we shot the breeze about it in a GDT once (i spent the second half of my twenties there).

my fav red hot was this little place on monroe and i think oxford called dog town. they also did a red hot plate (meat sauce, mac salad, etc), but with tater tots in the place of home fries.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
ya, rochester. we shot the breeze about it in a GDT once (i spent the second half of my twenties there).

my fav red hot was this little place on monroe and i think oxford called dog town. they also did a red hot plate (meat sauce, mac salad, etc), but with tater tots in the place of home fries.
That would be a Rochester Garbage Plate. I spend a decent amount of time in Rochester but still have never tried one.

Google Image Result for https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/16/eb/6d/52/img-20181008-164346-131.jpg

jgwboTosoQ9gknnn6

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
I have mixed feelings about the Canucks prospects playing in Abbotsford.

Born and raised in Vancouver, and having watched the ups and downs of the Canucks, paying big ticket prices can be painful if I just want to watch high-level professional hockey. Paying AHL ticket prices to watch Canuck prospects means I will drive to Abbotsford next season and bring my two kids, grab a few beers, buy burgers/fries/drinks/foamy fingers for under 100 bucks! it's also good for the AHL players to gain access to some of the specialty coaching and resources Canucks players have access to.

Having said all of this, I liked the Canucks prospects away from the big team, growing up in a smaller market, with real hockey roots and passionate fans. All I can say is, it's sad to see the Canucks leave Utica, but it's also something i get and understand the benefits.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
if you value your blood pressure or gastrointestinal health, i wouldn’t try one

but they are delicious. in my day the best one was at gitsis but bad goalie tells me they’ve closed shop now.

You never had a garbage plate until you have had one from the originator, Nick Tahou's. The original is on West Main St. The dish was called "Hots and Po-tots". It didn't become the "garbage plate" until 1992 and Tahou's trademarked it. All others are copies. It closes daily at 8pm.

Steve Tahou, a nephew now runs a copy called Steve T's at 2260 Lyell Ave. Open 24 hours.

I ate many a "hots and po-tots" at 2 or later in the morning with the guys I grew up with in my neighborhood in the South wedge. It wasn't the safest place in town in that neighborhood at that hour, but several of our black high school football teammates were usually in there and that saved our asses on many a night.

Gitsis was a high school eatery. If you drive a couple more blocks towards downtown you will pass the back side of my high school and see when I say I was raised in the inner city you can see how close my alma mater is to downtown, Main St, Rochester, NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad