The Unknown Team Canada: September - December 1969

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by Anderson9, Jan 19, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Anderson9

Anderson9 Registered User

Medical doctor(pathology)
    I would very much appreciate Team Canada's rosters for their last tournaments prior to Canada's expulsion from LIHG competition in December 1969,

1. Sovietski Sport prize August 1969
    2. Canada's Czechoslovakia series November 1969
    3. Izvestiya Prize round robin December 1969
    4. USSR's Canada tour December 1969
    5. Czechoslovakia's Canada tour December 1969.

Lost for good? I remember some names though. A Dryden in Canada goal in 5-4 win over e. Germany, a Harris, a Conacher at Izvestiya tournament. These may or may not be their big namesakes, but can anyone name the Team Canada squad?

2. Hoser

Hoser Registered User

Canada was not expelled, Canada withdrew.

3. Anderson9

Anderson9 Registered User

Medical doctor(pathology)
    Misprint. Lapsus calami. I would like information rather than fault finding.

4. Canadiens1958

Canadiens1958 Registered User

Retired
    As Requested

Compliments of hockeydb.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0004901970.html

Should serve as a starting point.

5. Scott1980

Scott1980 Registered User

I believe they played USSR in this tournament and lost 5-0. There was a picture of Billy Harris clearning the puck from behind the net in the book Spirit Of The Game

That is an interesting roster. Two players, Harris and Conacher who regained their amature status, Dryden / Stevenson in goal (1976 SCF goaltenders right there!). Plus Heindl, that always makes me want to buy this RARE hockey picture!

6. Theokritos

Theokritos Moderator

According to the Ottawa Citizen (November 17th 1969, Page 66: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=QBJtjoHflPwC&dat=19691117&printsec=frontpage), Team Canada's roster for the trip to Europe was:

Goaltenders: Wayne Stephenson, Ken Dryden
    Defencemen: Ken Stephenson, Terry O'Malley, Barry Mckenzie, Bob Lepage, Steve Carlyle, Michel Poirier, Bob Murdock
    Forwards: Rick Newell, Fran Huck, Bill Heindl, Steve King, Billy Macmillan, Richie Bayes, Billy Harris, Brian Conacher, Corby Adams, Grant Moore, George Watson, Jim Irving

Chidlovski.net has a record (http://www.chidlovski.net/1954/54_game_info.asp?gm_id=gm275) of the Soviet Union's game against Team Canada during the 1969 Izvestiya Cup. According to Chidlovski, Canada used the following players:

Goaltenders: Wayne Stephenson, Ken Dryden, N.Stephenson*
    *Hockeydb.com knows 38 different Stephensons, but no one has a prename beginning with N. I guess Chidlovski is wrong here.
    Defencemen: Bob Murdock, Steve Carlyle, Terry O'Malley, Ken Stephenson, Barry Mackenzie, Michel Poirier.
    Forwards: Rick Newell, Steve King, Fran Huck, Bill Heindl, Corby Adams, Billy Harris, Brian Conacher, Bill MacMillan, George Watson, Bob Lepage, Chuck Lefley, Jim Irving, Grant Moore, ? Arving*.
    *"Arving/"? I think that's a corruption of "Irving", who was already mentioned. Another mistake.

7. Chili

Chili Registered User

Some interesting information on some of the Russia/Canada games here.

I remember seeing one of the games, believe it was televised by CTV at the time.

It may have been the Dec 20th, 1969 game where the Russians manhandled the Canadians (Ken Dryden was in net). The Russian roster had alot of the names that would play in the 1972 Summit Series.

[​IMG]