The Undrafted Class of 2006

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
US Prep players passed over

Here are a few US prep players passed over:
Chris Huxley (Nobles) (surprised) - offensive defenseman/ going to play a year in the USHL

Eric Baier (Taft)

Brian Gibbons (Thayer) - gifted offensive player but very small...thought with the new NHL someone would have taken him/ going to BC next year

Jordan Krusch (Hebron)

Matt Lombardi (Governor Dummer)

Joe and Mike Devin (Catholic Memorial) - both will play for Nanaimo next season before heading to Cornell

Ben Smith (Westminister) - good player...thought he would be taken in the 7th rd. at least/ going to BC next year

Andy Inderieden (Breck) - seen him in a pre-draft tournament and a power forward...very strong

Austin Lee (Bloomington) - a good goalie...also saw him in the pre-draft tourney

Michael Griffin (Nobles) - too much of a project...not surprised he didnt get drafted

Joe Smith (Andover) - see Griffin

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Jazz said:
Justin Slade G Vancouver Gaints.

set a Western Hockey League record with 18 shutouts this past year.....

DUSTIN Slade, not Justin. ;)

And yeah, he's a cancer in the lockeroom.

Good tender, bad apple.

Marco Corleone

Sep 6, 2004
Ti-girl said:

Good tender, bad apple.

Wouldn't say that he's a "cancer".....but just a kid with some "real" problems.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Seems to be ALOT of good players over looked. Not sure what the hell went on this draft but it seems alot of **** players went late and some good ones didnt even get drafted. very stange

cnyhockey

Nov 28, 2004
NCAA Prospects

Checking back over the the HF NCAA Top 40 http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=8848

While those not drafted all seem to have some "warts" many have some good upside and there could be some diamonds in the rough with better seasons next year.

A few of the overagers (the 87s) might get picked up late in next year's draft like Matsumoto and Rheault this year or signed after graduation to ATO's as FAs.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
Ti-girl said:

Good tender, bad apple.

You got the spelling right but a cancer? Where did you get that from? I would guess that a league winning mem cup team wouldn't have any cancers in the room. Certainly not a hard hat team like Vancouver that had no "stars" on the team until Brule came back in the 2nd half.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
VINMONTY said:
Here are a few US prep players passed over:
Chris Huxley (Nobles) (surprised) - offensive defenseman/ going to play a year in the USHL

Eric Baier (Taft)

Brian Gibbons (Thayer) - gifted offensive player but very small...thought with the new NHL someone would have taken him/ going to BC next year

Jordan Krusch (Hebron)

Matt Lombardi (Governor Dummer)

Joe and Mike Devin (Catholic Memorial) - both will play for Nanaimo next season before heading to Cornell

Ben Smith (Westminister) - good player...thought he would be taken in the 7th rd. at least/ going to BC next year

Andy Inderieden (Breck) - seen him in a pre-draft tournament and a power forward...very strong

Austin Lee (Bloomington) - a good goalie...also saw him in the pre-draft tourney

Michael Griffin (Nobles) - too much of a project...not surprised he didnt get drafted

Joe Smith (Andover) - see Griffin

Good list. Although, I beg to differ on Lee. I saw Bloomington Jefferson twice this year and aside from his size, he wasn't anything special.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Garbs said:
Adam Perry. Not that I really think he's all that great, but you would think some team would use a late round pick on him.

Yeah that was one player I was going to mention.

has a little bit of his brother's upside but is more of a two way player. Has some third line upside...surprised no one used a 6th or 7th rounder on him. Ducks should have taken him in the 6th round instead of their random Fin.

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
AskMe
I'm surprised Mitch Fadden wasn't drafted, his character is questionable and his work ethic non existant but he's a pure sniper with very soft hands and he's an intelligent player.

I had him pegged for the 3rd round.

The upside is enough to take a risk on him even if I have my doubts he'll pan out long term.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
cnyhockey said:
Any surprises on who didn't get drafted from college?

Quite a few. The biggest one IMO is Alec Richards. With the number of goalies that were drafted, it just floored me that he wasn't taken. Richards is a dynamite goalie and he's only going to get better.

Among the others:

Mike Brennan, Tim Filangieri and Brett Motherwell - BC [how NONE of these guys got drafted is beyond me]
Zach Jones - North Dakota
Ben Street - Wisconsin
Jason Lawrence and Chris Higgins - BU
Jimmy Fraser and Jack Christian - Harvard

stugotz

Mar 17, 2004
I was surprised to see no one picked Kelsey Wilson, mind you he's an 86' but still worth a 7th rounder.

Kelsey Wilson is 6'1 215lbs

he had 38 goals 31 assists in 67 games this past year. as well as 196 PIM. he's a tough guy who plays with alot of heart.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
These are the 1st round 2003 WHL Bantam draft picks. I think Toews, Maxwell and Pyett are the only ones out of 20 that were drafted by the NHL.. Hamill is eligible next draft.

Only 3 17/18 year olds out of the top 20 14/15 year olds got drafted. Second rounders not included at this time.

1 . Tri-Cities : Jonathan Toews , C , ( 04/29/88 ) Winnipeg, MB
2 . Lethbridge : Kootenay : Ben Maxwell , C , ( 03/30/88 ) N. Vancouver, BC
3 . Everett : Zack Hamill , C , ( 09/23/88 ) Port Coquitlam, BC
4 . Prince Albert : Ryan De Pape , RW , ( 03/10/88 ) Winnipeg, MB
5 . Portland : Sasha Golin , RW , ( 05/22/88 ) Summerland, BC
6 . Prince George : Tyler Swyston , C , ( 01/15/88 ) Cochrane, AB
7 . Vancouver : Jason Reese , LW , ( 01/28/88 ) Gresham, OR
8 . Spokane : Michael Reich , C , ( 05/31/88 ) Craik, SK
9 . Calgary : Keegan Dansereau , RW , ( 01/01/88 ) Saskatoon, SK
10 . Medicine Hat : Trevor Glass , D , ( 01/22/88 ) Cochrane, AB
11 . Regina : Logan Pyett , D , ( 01/26/88 ) Balgonie, SK
12 . Kootenay : Todd Panchyson , D , ( 01/07/88 ) Saskatoon, SK
13 . Kamloops : Victor Bartley , D , ( 02/17/88 ) Maple Ridge, BC
14 . Saskatoon : Justin McCrae , C , ( 10/30/88 ) Cochrane, AB
15 . Moose Jaw : Brennan Wray , C , ( 03/04/88 ) Moose Jaw, SK
16 . Swift Current : Kyle Bortis , LW , ( 09/28/88 ) Saskatoon, SK
17 . Seattle : George Holloway , C , ( 03/01/88 ) Wapalla, SK
18 . Brandon : Mike Cann , D , ( 07/21/88 ) Cochrane, AB
19 . Red Deer : Matthew Cline , C , ( 02/02/88 ) Edmonton, AB
20 . Kelowna : Craig Cuthbert , C , ( 08/21/88 ) Swift Current, SK

I think it shows that ability at 14/15 is not always a big indicator of success later. What do you think?

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
in the NAHL

What makes Troy Mattila a better prospect than Carter Camper or Kai Kantola?

I thought this 2 had a pretty good chance to be selected in the mid-to-late rounds.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Honus Joglund said:
John Hughes from Belleville.

82 points in 66 games for an '88 born.

On the contrary. In my opinion, this was one of the few occasions where the scouts looked beyond the stats sheet and actually got it right regarding a player's ability to translate his good junior game to the next level.

Simply stated, Hughes is a wonderful dangler who is afraid of his own shadow. I really can't see him being able to play at any higher level other than the CIS.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
martin BARTOS
ryan MCDONOUGH

I was sure McDonough would get drafted, even with his size, he put up AWESOME stats in the O

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
insider said:
martin BARTOS
ryan MCDONOUGH

I was sure McDonough would get drafted, even with his size, he put up AWESOME stats in the O

Like Hughes, McDonough is a player whose game will not translate to the next level, in my opinion. New rules or not, a player who is 5'7" better have world class speed and agility to play in the NHL. McDonough simply doesn't have that. When the checking gets tighter and/or the players around him get quicker (OHL playoffs, World U-18), McDonough is invisible.

The fact that he quit (or his father forced him to quit) a Sudbury team coached and managed by a very respected long-time ex-NHL'er couldn't have helped him at the draft either.

advantage2006

Feb 4, 2006
Canada
On the contrary. In my opinion, this was one of the few occasions where the scouts looked beyond the stats sheet and actually got it right regarding a player's ability to translate his good junior game to the next level.

Simply stated, Hughes is a wonderful dangler who is afraid of his own shadow. I really can't see him being able to play at any higher level other than the CIS.
And what is St.Louis or Samsonov:confused:

TGJ

Sep 5, 2006
You got the spelling right but a cancer? Where did you get that from? I would guess that a league winning mem cup team wouldn't have any cancers in the room. Certainly not a hard hat team like Vancouver that had no "stars" on the team until Brule came back in the 2nd half.

Regina let him go because he had a "bad attitude", I remember several games where he alone started a line brawl. But the kid definitely had talent.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What makes Troy Mattila a better prospect than Carter Camper or Kai Kantola?

I thought this 2 had a pretty good chance to be selected in the mid-to-late rounds.

I think both will next year. Honestly I expect Kantola to turn some heads at Bowling Green and probably ending up as a 3rd-5th round pick next year. As far as I remember, only 10 teams interviewed the kid last year so he wasn't exactly a high-profile prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->