The True Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: Part VI

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Yeah money wise most of the league cannot compete anymore. Only Ajax has a significant amount of money that they now no longer need to sell players every year.
We've been a development league for probably almost 2 decades now really. We can still occasionally get solid teams together but usually anyone standing out gets bought by richer teams.

Our UEFA coefficient places us right above Greece actually, 14th. Portugal is 7th.

However, I have a feeling the competition is slowly able to hang onto talent better. Ajax is doing it easily suddenly (F. De Jong, De Ligt, Onana, etc etc are being kept despite huge clubs being interested) and even PSV has managed to hang on to Lozano and Bergwijn for now (CLOSE THE TRANSFER WINDOW ALREADY). Hopefully we can get both clubs into CL which should put a (to us) significant amount of money in the coffers. (PSV stands to gain 35M. We have budget of about 75-80M lol).

One thing that has remained true:
keep watching dutch teams for some exciting stars of tomorrow!

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah money wise most of the league cannot compete anymore. Only Ajax has a significant amount of money that they now no longer need to sell players every year.
We've been a development league for probably almost 2 decades now really. We can still occasionally get solid teams together but usually anyone standing out gets bought by richer teams.

Our UEFA coefficient places us right above Greece actually, 14th. Portugal is 7th.

However, I have a feeling the competition is slowly able to hang onto talent better. Ajax is doing it easily suddenly (F. De Jong, De Ligt, Onana, etc etc are being kept despite huge clubs being interested) and even PSV has managed to hang on to Lozano and Bergwijn for now (CLOSE THE TRANSFER WINDOW ALREADY). Hopefully we can get both clubs into CL which should put a (to us) significant amount of money in the coffers. (PSV stands to gain 35M. We have budget of about 75-80M lol).

One thing that has remained true:
keep watching dutch teams for some exciting stars of tomorrow!
Interesting, because I always thought of Portugal as a development league, but you can say they've gotten better with a Euro win and a semi-solid World Cup appearance (not as good as Belgium though). Plus you tend to see many Portuguese teams in the CL and make it farther in Europa, whereas Greek and Dutch teams have had poor international results lately and are almost entirely gone in Europe competitions like CL/Europa.

Yeah you don't need to tell me about Dutch when it comes to development. I remember reading an article that Ajax (sadly I know it's not PSV :D) was the best development club in the entire world within the past twenty years (more so than Benfica, Barca, and Palmeiras). Good to hear that they're getting back on track - it's going to be difficult though after losing your golden age generation of players.

Last edited:

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Chugging along as expected with Mou.
0-3 hammering by Spurs at Old Trafford is no surprise.

Tick tock Mou.
TICK TOCK

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Chugging along as expected with Mou.
0-3 hammering by Spurs at Old Trafford is no surprise.

Tick tock Mou.
TICK TOCK
They might not realistically fire him due to how hefty his buy-out clause is. He might be a good tactician and has a decent amount of footballing IQ, but he is just a virus of a person that spreads into the players themselves. Like on NBCSN, who have a beast of a footballing crew, Kyle Martino said that there is never accountability from him - he blames literally everyone except himself. He also gets himself in trouble for absolutely pointless stupid rhetoric like the female trainer he had in Chelsea. He fired her when 100% of the players said they had nothing wrong with a female physio. Chelsea were struggling and he put all the problems on like she was too attractive and not good enough at her job.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
What do you think of the PSV kid Romero? I know he had an injury as soon as he arrived to PSV but he's back now?
Too early to tell. He's played 9 minutes in the first team I think. I thought he'd getting some minutes soon with the #1 striker having trouble scoring at all but Luuk just scored a brace so he'll have to make due with subs and try to force his way in. Expectation are high though.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
Interesting, because I always thought of Portugal as a development league, but you can say they've gotten better with a Euro win and a semi-solid World Cup appearance (not as good as Belgium though). Plus you tend to see many Portuguese teams in the CL and make it farther in Europa, whereas Greek and Dutch teams have had poor international results lately and are almost entirely gone in Europe competitions like CL/Europa.

Yeah you don't need to tell me about Dutch when it comes to development. I remember reading an article that Ajax (sadly I know it's not PSV :D) was the best development club in the entire world within the past twenty years (more so than Benfica, Barca, and Palmeiras). Good to hear that they're getting back on track - it's going to be difficult though after losing your golden age generation of players.

Ajax has indeed been famous although for the last decade the players they've bought have been wildly more succesful than their homegrown ones (Suarez and the belgian D-line for example vs guys like... Blind and such). They've even poached a youngster of ours (and subsequently f***ed up his development...). But their current generation is highly touted and will should have at least 2 world-class players, if all goes well.
Then again, PSV has some players that should be featuring in Oranje as regulars soon. Hendrix & Bergwijn for sure. Donyell Malen is looking very good this year.
Currently my favourite new face is Angelino. One of those very attacking fullbacks that has shit defense. But goddamn he's good on the ball.

Also. Hidden gem: Fran Sol. 16 goals for Willem II last year and has 3 goals on the year. Right now he's basically staying in the Eredivisie due to his wife!

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
The straw broke for me during the 2nd Sevilla game, after which he dismissed all complaints by telling everyone how much he had won and how successful he had been.

Yes, had been. Doesn't really fill me with joy now does it?

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
The straw broke for me during the 2nd Sevilla game, after which he dismissed all complaints by telling everyone how much he had won and how successful he had been.

Yes, had been. Doesn't really fill me with joy now does it?

Same here. Too bad they didn't fire him in the summer, now this season is pretty much over.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I thought Arsenal fan would be the happiest knowing Wenger was leaving the club, but it was actually Mourinho so he can use the "I have 3 PL titles while everyone else has 2"

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I thought Arsenal fan would be the happiest knowing Wenger was leaving the club, but it was actually Mourinho so he can use the "I have 3 PL titles while everyone else has 2"

Should Pep really count in that though? He’s 1/1 and has a good chance of going 2/2.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Should Pep really count in that though? He’s 1/1 and has a good chance of going 2/2.
Pep didn't win his first season in charge, and won only after a £250 mil blitz in the transfer market the season after.
But they look damn good now though. Money only sped things along.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Too early to tell. He's played 9 minutes in the first team I think. I thought he'd getting some minutes soon with the #1 striker having trouble scoring at all but Luuk just scored a brace so he'll have to make due with subs and try to force his way in. Expectation are high though.

He wasn't even on the bench for today's match. I thought he'd be a squad player at the very least. Shame in any case keep an eye out for him. Please and thank you.

Pep didn't win his first season in charge, and won only after a £250 mil blitz in the transfer market the season after.
But they look damn good now though. Money only sped things along.

That was always going to be the case though. And many of his players are supposedly crap...

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He wasn't even on the bench for today's match. I thought he'd be a squad player at the very least. Shame in any case keep an eye out for him. Please and thank you.

That was always going to be the case though. And many of his players are supposedly crap...

I mean there’s some players that were crap/not great before he got there( Delph sticks out) and because of Peps managerial talent knows how to get the most out of his players. But City has bought smart unlike most teams in the BPL.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean there’s some players that were crap/not great before he got there( Delph sticks out) and because of Peps managerial talent knows how to get the most out of his players. But City has bought smart unlike most teams in the BPL.
People just act like you can throw money in the transfers and win... you can't. See PSG/Manu and even city in Europe.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
People just act like you can throw money in the transfers and win... you can't. See PSG/Manu and even city in Europe.

I mean there needs to be a balance. Obviously you can’t not spend and win anymore, but if you look at the EPL especially it’s all about how you spend that money. I’m sure United and City have spent about the same amount of money since Pep and Mou took over, but it’s clear who spent smarter and better. City look like a team that has an identity and have skill sets that compliment each other. United less so. I think that they have some solid pieces that should be able to play decent football but our moron manager can’t make that happen.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean there needs to be a balance. Obviously you can’t not spend and win anymore, but if you look at the EPL especially it’s all about how you spend that money. I’m sure United and City have spent about the same amount of money since Pep and Mou took over, but it’s clear who spent smarter and better. City look like a team that has an identity and have skill sets that compliment each other. United less so. I think that they have some solid pieces that should be able to play decent football but our moron manager can’t make that happen.

Well yeah, that's obvious... this is why Arsenal are a joke. Expect to compete but rarely spend.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well yeah, that's obvious... this is why Arsenal are a joke. Expect to compete but rarely spend.

You have arsenal and United on opposite ends of the spectrum lol.

Arsenal: expected to be good but won’t spend

United: expected to compete but don’t know how to spend well.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Arsenal spent enough money in the past, their problem is that they always go for the same type of a player and that Wenger has lost the plot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Arsenal spent enough money in the past, their problem is that they always go for the same type of a player and that Wenger has lost the plot.
Pretty much, Graham who I think is the smartest AFTV fan mentioned this in his last video - we have like four to five/bunch of #10's on the club playing in a multitude of different positions. So Arsenal is in a big dilemma because we can't fit all of them into Emery's 4-2-3-1 formation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

In relation to whom? Has Arsenal every spent big money without first selling a player? I don't think so. Wenger is gone now... where are all the buys?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
In relation to whom? Has Arsenal every spent big money without first selling a player? I don't think so. Wenger is gone now... where are all the buys?
Why the hell would they just go in buying everyone? They have plenty of players that need to be evaluated under Emery before they decide what to do with them. And again they spent plenty, they just got ine dud after another, not to mention idiotic purchases like Auba when you already have Laccazzete, buying bums like Xhaka, complete disgregard to improving the D, cradlerobbing because Arsene thought he is a genius at player development, I mean how many millions did they blew on teenagers?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ozil and I believe Sanchez are two where we didn't need to sell any player. Both came from CL funds and perhaps one maybe came from the Fabregas deal from Barca. We got Lacazette as well, but I don't remember who we sold for some of his transfer fee. To fund the Auba deal, we definitely sold Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why the hell would they just go in buying everyone? They have plenty of players that need to be evaluated under Emery before they decide what to do with them. And again they spent plenty, they just got ine dud after another, not to mention idiotic purchases like Auba when you already have Laccazzete, buying bums like Xhaka, complete disgregard to improving the D, cradlerobbing because Arsene thought he is a genius at player development, I mean how many millions did they blew on teenagers?
LOL no one said buy everyone... just start with filling in obvious holes. If the team is in such dire stat because of the stupid Wenger buys why do they need to be evaluated? A bum like Xhaka is a bum regardless of who's coaching him. The whole backline too. Even the midfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad