The True Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: Part VI

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
*Cough Dybala ;)

No but I think everyone does have those players that they have that special affinity for. Nani was always someone I thought would end up being that world class winger and really looked like he was going to during the 2011 and 2012 seasons.

I swear, there was some point around like 2013 when Nani just lost all of his talent Space-Jam style. I feel like he also suffered brain damage because he's clueless out there.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I still don't see who I have overrated though?

I mean even if you go way back to Thaigo breaking out I claimed he is/or would be better than Cesc. That clearly happened.

Saul? I first was a hater of his until I think Savant turned me. Kid can play. Oliver yeah, I got that one wrong but LH said he has the potential to be the best of his generation.

Isco? I was 100% right about him.

Also I just reread my last post ... it kinda comes of snappy. I meant to put a :) after the "wrong opinion".

I mean, Thiago and Isco were just layups. They went out and dominated games as teenagers.

A risky call would be someone like deulofeu, who is basically Spanish Quaresma.

Random but I also have a midfielder in FM18 that is currently 21 with almost 30 England caps. 18 pace 18 agility 18 acceleration 17 dribbling 19 vision. Runs with ball through center, places shots, all I need is knocks ball past opponent to complete my new Kaka.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I swear, there was some point around like 2013 when Nani just lost all of his talent Space-Jam style. I feel like he also suffered brain damage because he's clueless out there.

That season after Ronaldo left, Nani was just incredible. He looked like an decent “replacement” for Ronaldo, and the season after that he was good, but not quite as good. And then after that he became the inconsistent player that we know today, it just doesn’t make sense to me.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean, Thiago and Isco were just layups. They went out and dominated games as teenagers.

A risky call would be someone like deulofeu, who is basically Spanish Quaresma.

Random but I also have a midfielder in FM18 that is currently 21 with almost 30 England caps. 18 pace 18 agility 18 acceleration 17 dribbling 19 vision. Runs with ball through center, places shots, all I need is knocks ball past opponent to complete my new Kaka.

You had EPL fans claiming barca were better off buying Cesc as he is the better player soo?

People compared Coutinho and Eriksen to Isco...

Yup, I was wrong about Deulofeu... whiffed on Bojan too. In my defence I was 17 when I was watching Bojan have great games in CL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Transfer deadline for the EPL today. Sounds like United, Liverpool, and Arsenal are all done. Ornstein says Arsenal likes Dembele, but doesn't expect any more moves from anyone.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Everton bought/loaned in like half of the Barcelona squad.
Though only the bad half.

Fulham bought an entire team's worth of players, including Vietto.
Gonna be interesting this season, as Fulham and Wolves have both invested heavily.

Also gonna be fun seeing Mou pout around for half a season while United languish in 8th and him getting canned.....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jorginho and Kovacic, what a midfield haul. Think Chelsea will take the title race to the wire
They already had one of the better midfields in the league and didn't really do anything with it. They lack some serious creativity on the flanks and at top which Jorginho doesn't help. Kovacic does and getting Sarri helps, but not sure he can single-handily help Chelsea. There's going to be a huge transition phase here and they're going to struggle quite a lot in the first half of the season - I see them missing the top 5.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Think Dembele was a pipe dream for Arsenal. That would have been a coup. Sounds like PSG are lurking now with their window still open. Bet he stays at Barca but if he left, I’m sure he’d opt for PSG over the Gunners.

We need more Doozy and Torreira type signings. Those two look to be a great start. This is how Mislinstat and co can prove their worth - grabbing young up and coming stars from Europa-level and below clubs before they become big names. How many times in the past decade have we seen/heard AW sniffing around big talents from smaller clubs only for us to bicker over a small amount of money, agent fees or salary and then watch said talents get sold directly to teams like Man City and Chelsea or go to the Schalkes and Valencia’s of the world and then have their reputations grow well pst something realistic for Arsenal.

Not all that impressed with Mislinstat constantly going back to the Dortmund well for guys past their peaks but I suppose it was a quick way to inject some talent and depth. Auba will have a big season, Ive no doubt about that.

Really no idea what to expect from Emery’s Arsenal though overall. I’m optimistic but any transition is difficult and this is no ordinary transition. Opening game at home versus Man City is vital to set the tone. Would be lovely to get some sort of result...IIRC we won a barnstormer to open last season versus Leicester but prior to that I think in our last 10 or so years our opening match record is abysmal and too often set the tone for entire seasons. Top of my mind is losing 4-3 to Liverpool a couple years ago and a few years further back we dropped at home to a dull Villa side 3-1 after scoring the first goal. Even if we lose to City, the team need to leave the match with positives. If it’s a 3-0 or 5-1 drubbing at Emirates - even to the reigning champions and IMO easy repeat favorites in the EPL, it won’t be a good sign.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think Liverpool will be a title contender this year, but perhaps I am underrating them when I conclude that Man City should safely win the title again this year. The Citizens should be able to almost replicate their season last year in regards to points, but the gap should be closer to the moves that the Reds made. Man City should probably suffer some upsets this year, while Liverpool won't be as dominant against them like they were last year.

I still think the Arsenal can make the CL, but I have them over Chelsea when in reality Man United is more of a realistic target. That club is a mess and Pogba will probably jump ship for one of the top La Liga clubs.

E: And just now Barca's president is hinting at a possible Pogba addition. No way he goes this window, but he's probably gone next summer.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is City just that good or is Arsenal in for a long season?
People are underrating Arsenal's firepower, but it should take a transition period - not as much as I see Chelsea's who was built for Mourinho/Conte and Sarri will want a much faster and creative game in which Chelsea only have two players who those qualities.

City is just that good, when you spend 100 million pounds on just wingbacks, you know your team is going to be good. Then add in the tactician in the world with Pep and you're in a world of hurt as an opponent.

Both

Dame i don't even remember the last time I was this form to discuss hockey... I honestly don't think I like it or enjoy watching it anymore.
You can enjoy both man? I mean football is only on the weekends and there will be hockey everyday...

Plus MacKinnon was so much fun to watch last year, sucks if you missed out on that D2M.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You can enjoy both man? I mean football is only on the weekends and there will be hockey everyday...

Plus MacKinnon was so much fun to watch last year, sucks if you missed out on that D2M.

You definitely can enjoy both nothing would suggest otherwise. I used to love both equally up until like 2 years ago. I'm used to watching well over 150 games preseason but I was like 30/40 games last year. Definitely not with the same intensity either. WJC is still lit though.

No idea why they won't play Auba and Lacaz up top.

That would fix one of their problems. I expect them 5th or lower tbh.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Liverpool will not win the league, but will have a good season and finish 2nd or 3rd.
Cant see anyone but City winning again.
Arsenal will not get top-4 and Chelsea-United-Tottenham will fight for the last CL spot, with one of them though getting around Liverpool at the end.
City will win by 8-10 points.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
What the **** Feyenoord... They're embarassing us.

They simply underestimated Trencin which suprised me, because Trencin is basically a Dutch club. Dutch owners, coach and some players and their style of play is based on Dutch football as well. Feyenoord should have known Trencin would be up for it.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Yup.
Gonna be a fun season this. Mou has no idea what he is doing, and combine that with the players having no idea what they are doing either, is how you end up in a situation where you score a worthless goal in the 95th minute.

Against Brighton....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
PSV getting a good result somehow lol. I'll take it.
How is Dutch football doing El Loco? Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems that with the increasing funds of money from some of the top leagues in Europe is sort of leaving Netherlands behind. Could you say that Netherlands has turned into more of a development league for national football team and for the top teams in Europe domestically? I don't think they've improved as much as Portugal has as one example, actually maybe they've declined to Greece's level? What are your thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->