OT: The Travel Thread

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Im not sure about Oahu but yeah, theres nothing at night on the other islands. Im a beach bum at heart so its probably the best place in the world for me.

Waikiki area has a ton of nightlife, a lot of tourists and overpriced compared to mainland USA. But clean and safe. Food is great on Oahu and some nice beaches and waves.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How do you pronounce that? :laugh:

The life of the rich and famous. :sarcasm:

Phuket is highly overrated and sucks! Still cheap for NA standards though. Would go with F it,not worth the trouble. These highly overpopulated tourists areas always suck even Ko samui. Nice beaches and relatively cheap,just way too crowded. Prefer to stay away for the masses.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Phuket is highly overrated and sucks! Still cheap for NA standards though. Would go with F it,not worth the trouble. These highly overpopulated tourists areas always suck even Ko samui. Nice beaches and relatively cheap,just way too crowded. Prefer to stay away for the masses.

What are your go-to destinations and what prompts you to return?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
What are your go-to destinations and what prompts you to return?

Not too sure what is implied,sorry for that. But if I want a great beach I'll go to Cayo largo,off Cuba. I got obligations and have some interests elsewhere and don't go wrong with Japan or Greece for food and scenery and home is in the NL,Amsterdam to be be more precise. Spent ions in Montreal and love it and grew up there,but home is in the NL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not too sure what is implied,sorry for that. But if I want a great beach I'll go to Cayo largo,off Cuba. I got obligations and have some interests elsewhere and don't go wrong with Japan or Greece for food and scenery and home is in the NL,Amsterdam to be be more precise. Spent ions in Montreal and love it and grew up there,but home is in the NL.
Amsterdam and MTL share a lot of the same vibe, I hear. Looks like a beautiful city.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

So you don't live in Montreal anymore? Wasn't aware. How long have you made the Netherlands home?

Your answer was what I was looking for. Places to consider going.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
So you don't live in Montreal anymore? Wasn't aware. How long have you made the Netherlands home?

Your answer was what I was looking for. Places to consider going.

All depends on what one is looking for to be honest. Nl has always be home,but not always residing there.
Greece has to be one of the best paces to visit,after June anyways,if you want to go in the the water.
Japan is also super to visit,but as always,better to get in with the locals.
NL is home,but have a tendency to stay with relatives in A'dam. Amsterdam has it all pretty much,for me anyways. Lot of fun times there,great food,nightlife,canals but that's my perspective.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Took a few guys out here for a visit,very nice.Sunset rivals Santorini.

upload_2019-8-15_15-13-55.png
upload_2019-8-15_15-14-3.png
upload_2019-8-15_15-14-13.png

Reactions: sandviper

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Any one got some info on the current state of Tunisia? more specifically Djerba? Used to be a decent time there and cheap.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Took a few guys out here for a visit,very nice.Sunset rivals Santorini.

View attachment 249807View attachment 249809View attachment 249811

Damn, that is beautiful...

I just booked a family cruise (with other friends) on the Oasis of the Seas for March break. We’ll stop in Puerto Rico, Haiti and the Virgin Islands. Not as exotic as where some of you folks have gone, but at least those are three new destinations for my family.

I think when my kids are older, they’ll want more destination vacations, but right now, they are more into the fun. I have never been on a cruise, so I was pretty impressed with the activities offered.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You need to stay away from Tourist traps in any country mate...That's like saying Bali sucks because you stayed in Kuta. Even Seminyak is too touristy for me. I went to Canggu for New Years and when we went to Seminyak for dinner/drinks I felt like it was Indonesian version of Cancun except it's loaded with Australians instead of Americans. But Canggu and Ubud were awesome.

Phuket has a lot of different beach areas, I'm going to Khao Lak next weekend, about 90min north of the Phuket Airport. If you went to Kata and/or Patong, then ya, probably not as nice if you were looking for some calm paradise. Same for Koh Samui, these areas have just become too popular with tourists. It happened in Boracay in the Phillipines too, they closed the very popular island off to tourists for 6 months to clean and rejuvenate it.

Khao Lak is more peaceful and less touristy area in Phuket, should be pretty awesome!
Takua-Thun-beach-Khao-Lak-8-peaceful-beaches-Jeff-GunnA.jpg

tour_img-1269717-92.jpg

And I'll be staying there:
Thailand-JW-Marriott-Khao-Lak-Resort-Spa-9-1.jpg

2c60494a_7618_4f18_ac1b_d0f52bbea30b.jpg

I'll let you know if it's not worth it..

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As it stands..my supposed traveling plans:
End of Aug - Phuket Thailand (Khao Lak)
Mid October - Phuket again but in the south
Xmas/NYE - Seoul Korea + Montreal
End of January - New Delhi India
Easter - Palawan Phillipines
July - Road trip Corsica + Rome/Naples/Amalfi/Lecce
October - Barcelona

Goddang....didn't realize there was so much on the menu already.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
October - Barcelona

Damn man, you put me to shame. All I got is Bogotá/Cúcuta in January and Berlin in March. Next Fall/Winter will have plenty in it though, but still not solidified on exact plans.

Never been to Palawan, but the Philippines are fantastic. Barcelona isn't bad either. I didn't really like Thailand too much though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Damn man, you put me to shame. All I got is Bogotá/Cúcuta in January and Berlin in March. Next Fall/Winter will have plenty in it though, but still not solidified on exact plans.

Never been to Palawan, but the Philippines are fantastic. Barcelona isn't bad either. I didn't really like Thailand too much though.

Columbia sounds awesome though, definitely would like to hit that.
Palawan will be more of a romantic style vacay with the girl, but should be nice. We went to Cebu and Malapascua last winter, was awesome. I think the Filipinos might be the happiest people in the world man.
She did shark diving...Call me a p***y as much as you want, I ain't diving with no freaking sharks. lol
Been to Barca, had a great time but wouldn't really go back, feel like I'd prefer to visit other places but it'll be for a wedding.

I've been to Bangkok a few times, I really like it, the food, the people, the party, and for some reason I just love riding tuktuks. Excited for Phuket..let's see how it holds up.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Columbia sounds awesome though, definitely would like to hit that.
Palawan will be more of a romantic style vacay with the girl, but should be nice. We went to Cebu and Malapascua last winter, was awesome. I think the Filipinos might be the happiest people in the world man.
She did shark diving...Call me a ***** as much as you want, I ain't diving with no freaking sharks. lol
Been to Barca, had a great time but wouldn't really go back, feel like I'd prefer to visit other places but it'll be for a wedding.

I've been to Bangkok a few times, I really like it, the food, the people, the party, and for some reason I just love riding tuktuks. Excited for Phuket..let's see how it holds up.
Same man. Ever since I seen the vid of a shark jumping in the f***ing cage I aint having it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
October - Barcelona

Is that all strictly personal/couple/family/friend trips or is any work mixed in?

Only travel I do for work is Nashville... if I am really lucky, Bedford in Virginia... woooo!

Reactions: ArsHabs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Is that all strictly personal/couple/family/friend trips or is any work mixed in?

Only travel I do for work is Nashville... if I am really lucky, Bedford in Virginia... woooo!

All personal, some holidays in there for Xmas/NYE, Chinese New Year and Easter.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Rome/Naples/Amalfi/Lecce

I’ve done all 4.

If I had to go now, I would not go to Lecce. It’s fine but there is better. I’ve seen I Trulli, those homes from medieval times built a certain way in order not to pay taxes.

I’d substitute Lecce with Florence, where there is much to discover.

I’d only spend one day in Rome, you can do the main sites quickly but wouldn’t want to spend too much time there, it’s too touristy, crowded, polluted and noisy.

Naples is worth it, esp. for shopping and restaurants but it’s the place where people are most likely to try and rip you off. I’d only spend the day there.

Amalfi is stunning, the front part of it that is. The aroma of Limoncello is quite present, prices though the roof for obvious reasons. I’ve walked Amalfi all the way into the non tourist part and it was very bland the more you go deeper in. Don’t waste your time going further than the first few streets, take in the views and try to get a small boat ride that takes you around the island where you’ll experience shades of blue water like you’ve never seen. Another place where one day is enough to see everything.

What’s just as enticing once you come back to shore is Positano. Great for artistic type pics. Pro tip: always pay parking attendants extra for them to look after your car so unfortunate incidents don't happen to it.

Florence is where I’d be spending several days. So much to see. Lived there for a couple of months and couldn’t get enough.

What I’d definitely do on the way to Naples if I’d be traveling by car is the Costiera Amalfitana.

Of course, all of it depends on how much time one plans to spend.

Last edited:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Damn, that is beautiful...

I just booked a family cruise (with other friends) on the Oasis of the Seas for March break. We’ll stop in Puerto Rico, Haiti and the Virgin Islands. Not as exotic as where some of you folks have gone, but at least those are three new destinations for my family.

I think when my kids are older, they’ll want more destination vacations, but right now, they are more into the fun. I have never been on a cruise, so I was pretty impressed with the activities offered.

It's pretty cool,some history and great weather. The Med must have a lot of good spots though.

Have a great time! Some interesting ports to check out. Curious how Haiti is now all things considering. Was there once upon a time,but in the 70's,pretty sure things have changed since. Do recall attending some sort of a voodoo show though.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

How long are you staying in Colombia? I actually just went from late June for slightly more than 6 weeks and it was great. I'm definitely thinking about returning at some point in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad