The Trap Thrives in 2006 Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2004
Couldn't agree more, the only way the trap can be gotten rid of is to shorten the neutral zone, and widen the offensive zones.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
I don't see why the Europeans don't move the blue line out.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think the Swiss are receiving phone calls from Jacques Lemaire between periods.

Seriously wow is there no ends to this anti-hockey. Can`t there be rules to outlaw the damn thing? Can a gold medal be truly deserved by playing like that. Even in the female Swede thing was playing it! Heck they`re teaching it to kids in minor leagues these days.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
The IIHF needs to go the way the NHL did with rink specs, smaller neutral zone, less space behind the net, etc.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Did it occur to you that it might just be that your Canadian team just plain sucks?
I'm so sick of your complaining.

If i am on the canadian team and i know for a fact that my team is worth 100 Million dollars and everybody else has basicall no chance at all, i'd expect that the opposition will try to sell their skin costly and at least keep the score low!

One simply wonders why the Canadian Team has no gameplan what-so-ever, and takes millions of frankly useless shots that do nothing but look good on the shot statistics.

How about quick, precise passing play and cool-headed finishing?
Oh wait you're the canadian team. You just dump the puck in and run after it for 60 minutes.

You are so pathetic complaining about small nations using the mediocre means they have to compete with your wannabe powerhouse that lacks intelligence and spirit.

Face it: your guys have a "just give us the damn gold medal so we can get out of here" attitude and its embarrasingly obvious.

Let alone going into the olympics, stating "we are only interested in gold" is so brutally against the spirit of the whole thing. Athletes are there to give their best efford and do their country proud.

:rant:

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
How many thread do there have to be on this?

And I think it is fine the way teams are playing. Just becasue Canada is being shut down doesnt mean the rules have to be changed so forwards can have more leeway to score.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Force said:
Did it occur to you that it might just be that your Canadian team just plain sucks?

If i am on the canadian team and i know for a fact that my team is worth 100 Million dollars and everybody else has basicall no chance at all, i'd expect that the opposition will try to sell their skin costly and at least keep the score low!

One simply wonders why the Canadian Team has no gameplan what-so-ever, and takes millions of frankly useless shots that do nothing but look good on the shot statistics.

Oh wait you're the canadian team. You just dump the puck in and run after it for 60 minutes.

You are so pathetic complaining about small nations using the mediocre means they have to compete with your wannabe powerhouse that lacks intelligence and spirit.

Face it: your guys have a "just give us the damn gold medal so we can get out of here" attitude and its embarrasingly obvious.

Let alone going into the olympics, stating "we are only interested in gold" is so brutally against the spirit of the whole thing. Athletes are there to give their best efford and do their country proud.

But what about great hockey focusing on skills?

Force

Jan 26, 2006
What do you want? GER and SUI running into the open knive?
U think it's cool to loose 15:1 against Canada? You really expect GER and SUI and ITA to try to play an open game against CAN or CZE or FIN?
Well we might not be born with skates on our feet but we did receive brains!

I'll tell you a secret not even in the Knockout round there will be open and action-packed games because this is the Olympics, it is just one Game that decides and it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for some people so there is way too much at stake. So games will be tight and live from excitement, not the show. Hard to get used to when your beloved NHL is all about the show, how about accepting that this is diffrent and just enjoy the tournament?

:jump:

jd84

Jan 28, 2006
Kimota said:
I haven`t seen that with any teams so far in this tournament.

So you still think good defense is the problem from the opposition?

I Hate You All*

Panasonic Youth said:
The Flying "V" will destroy the trap!!!
No kidding. They should change the rules so that interference is legal as long as the team running interference is in flying V formation.
Then we'll see how effective the stupid trap is.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Force said:

That's it...let it out, let it aaaaall out, You'll feel better :biglaugh:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So much for big ice wide-open great european hockey. :biglaugh:

This is your way of saying you are unhappy about the way your team is performing this far?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Freudian said:
This is your way of saying you are unhappy about the way your team is performing this far?

If you knew me you would see that i`m the least nationalist sports fan you would ever meet. I want good hockey, is that too much to ask?

The success of the Swiss is good to see. But at the end of the day, I want out-of-this world hockey matchs and that`s not what we`ve seen so far. How about every teams let it out, screw the systems and give us the hockey of their lives?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Kimota said:
If you knew me you would see that i`m the least nationalist sports fan you would ever meet. I want good hockey, is that too much to ask?

The success of the Swiss is good to see. But at the end of the day, I want out-of-this world hockey matchs and that`s not what we`ve seen so far. How about every teams let it out, screw the systems and give us the hockey of their lives?

I have seen Slovakia, Finland, Russia and to some extent Sweden play good hockey this far. Switzerland is playing great for the team they have. I have not seen all that much of the trap.

This is the Olympics, not the allstar game. If your team can't establish offense or get good scoring chances, it is not because the other team is using some supertactic. It is because your team is not playing good enough. In the case of US and Canada it has been very obvious that they haven't been able to get any offensive pressure except in short spurts. If they are first on the puck more often, if they pass better, if they skate harder and if they shoot better then you will see that it makes a world of difference.

shawn_kemp*

In group B the trap was only used by Kazakhstan against Russia and Slovakia. All the other games were great offensive matchups, and even if 2 of them ended with a score of 2-1, it's because of hot goalies and total absence of luck on the US side.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Kimota said:

More naive please? This isn't the Stanley Cup. This is the Olympics! This MATTERS, this is a opportunity that many of these players will never have again. Media exposure is big even in countries where hockey doesn't get a line in any newspaper during the year.

This is a tournament and it is about winning and results, not about spectacular play and show. These guys neutralize themselves to some degree, and quite frankly i think there a still lots of stunning moves and scenes to see, Gerber's save on Nash on top of it!

Also give the story a climax and let the Gold Medal game be the best!

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
I wouldn't mind using smaller rinks either, I don't see why not every league in the world has the same size on their rinks. I think a team like Sweden could play more offensive on a smaller rink, now they can't match the opponents speed so they focus on defense first.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
With the rules against obstruction, the coaching staff and the players team Canada have, we should have no problem beating a trap. Two good passes at most to get the red and either get over the blue with a carry if there is room or get it deep and put a good forecheck on. Taking as many pucks to the net with at least one other teammate going there as well. Hopefully we each passing day the PP will get better and we will have more of an idea what we are doing in all situations. The D have to activate on both the counter attacks and on the offensive cycle. I am a fan of Canada and i'm sick of the whining and complaining about the other teams styles- I am sick of complaining about NHlers being in the tourney and I am sick of those who say Spezza should be in the lineup right now. Hopefully you complainers will have enough energy left to get back on the bandwagon when it gets rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad