The Transformers thread (shows, comics, toys, all things TF)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

I just finished watching all six episodes and was pleasantly surprised.

Transformers War For Cybertron : Siege is a great homage to the original G1 Transformers.

Although the voice actors can't replace the originals, they do a good job.

I really enjoyed seeing these G1 characters again.

Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy | Netflix Official Site

Transformers War For Cybertron Siege on Netflix: F.J. DeSanto Interview, Part II - Transformers News - TFW2005

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Transformers War For Cybertron : Siege is a great homage to the original G1 Transformers.

Transformers War For Cybertron Siege on Netflix: F.J. DeSanto Interview, Part II - Transformers News - TFW2005
I found Soundwave's voice the only one to really stand out in not being right.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Apparently, there is not enough money in the budget to hire them.
I didn't realize there were quite a few different series without them voicing the main characters.
there is something missing without Cullen. Frankly, I can do a better Optimus Prime than most of these guys not named Cullen.

When does part 2 and 3 premiere?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I didn't realize there were quite a few different series without them voicing the main characters.
there is something missing without Cullen. Frankly, I can do a better Optimus Prime than most of these guys not named Cullen.

At the time of writing, there is no official release date for Transformers: War for Cybertron: Earthrise, but we expect chapter 2 to be released in 2021.

Transformers: War for Cybertron season 2 release date – Siege sequel chapter explained – HITC

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I am 3 episodes in and it's really, REALLY good. Very different, very dark.

Why isn't Cullen or Welker voicing Prime and Megatron?

Apparently, there is not enough money in the budget to hire them.

Hasbro's gone really cheap with voice acting since Prime and RiD 2015. The series since then have mostly been non-union actors from New York or E-tier gag casting like Youtubers and "internet celebrities".

I'm fine some of the voices they've used since/in between Cullen/Welker appearances. They obviously have to do something since neither guy is going to be around forever. The issue is that they need to do their own take on the character instead of doing a bad impression of what everyone loved about the originals. Things just go badly when it feels like they're just trying to sound like other actors doing the characters. Beast Wars, the Unicron trilogy, and Animated have all had entertaining Optimus/Megatron sets from a variety of actors.

Hell, Cullen doesn't even do Optimus the same way he did in G1 anymore. His voice is noticeably deeper and stiffer and tends towards the larger-than-life messianic Optimus as opposed to the more "awesome dad/robot John Wayne" from G1. Part of that is how writers do the character now, but Cullen's more restricted range also somewhat forces them into it.

Also, just before anyone asks, I haven't watched WFC yet. Soon-ish. I've been distracted as I'm on a Transformers board watching through Victory (the 3rd Japanese series from the 80s).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I finished watching the series last night. Overall, I like the plot in terms of explaining the rise of the Decepticon cause, and how Megatron and Optimus have differing views on ending the war. Optimus holds true to form in believing in freedom and that is worth fighting for.

Felt they made Optimus come off as too green as a leader. Given the underlying storyline, he seemed too green given the time frame of the story in relation to where this sat in the G1 series. But, I do get that this isn't following the G1 series all the way.

Kind of weird to see the Autobots transformer into their G1 Earth vehicles, compared to the Seekers and Megatron into their Cybertronian versions.

I do miss Cullen and Welker, but Cullen's voice of Optimus has gotten deeper. On animation, even in the Prime series, his voice only seems appropriate when he has the mouth protector on, not when he has lips. Welker's voice for Megatron in the Prime series, I still liked. Like Cullen it is deeper. Neither guy has to shout in the series.

I still liked the Prime animation the best.

Other voice actors, did not care for Shockwave's voice.

Reactions: Guardian17

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yesterday there were some reveals of the last sub-line in the War for Cybertron trilogy: Kingdom.

It's gonna include Beast Wars characters. What I assume is the first wave of toys features Optimus Primal, Megatron (purple t-Rex version), Cheetor, Rattrap, and Blackarachnia.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Calling all digital movie collectors! The 1986 movie is on sale for $5 CDN at iTunes. Weirdly enough, it wasn’t available at all until a few months ago. Now we can keep our treasured VHS and DVD copies safely nested away in storage.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Calling all digital movie collectors! The 1986 movie is on sale for $5 CDN at iTunes. Weirdly enough, it wasn’t available at all until a few months ago. Now we can keep our treasured VHS and DVD copies safely nested away in storage.

I posted this story earlier in the thread, but I can't help but share again since I'm immediately triggered when I read "VHS" and "Transformers."

My family was never the type to go to the theater when I was a kid. So I had to wait for Transformers: The Movie to come out on VHS. When I was finally was able to rent it, but some jerk taped over it with Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. In 1987/88, our town only had that one nearby video rental store so I was SOL. Ninja Turtles was the next big thing, so my interest in Transformers gradually faded away in the early 90's.

fortmax.jpg

Fast forward to ~1999 and I spotted how much my Fortress Maximus was fetching on eBay. Being a poor college student, I decided to sell it to fund some other activities. So I ended up dragging FortMax with me after winter break and it was in my college dorm for a few weeks before I sold it. Thanks to having the box and Styrofoam, it fetched almost $700 although part of me wishes I had kept it.

Meanwhile my roommate had a friend visiting who spotted it and we started talking Transformers. I mentioned how I never got to see the movie and the guy excitedly says "I have it with me!" He then pulls out the clamshell VHS from his backpack.

1) I'm excited because I can finally watch it.
2) I'm also very weirded out that this guy travels with a copy of Transformers: The Movie.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I posted this story earlier in the thread, but I can't help but share again since I'm immediately triggered when I read "VHS" and "Transformers."

My family was never the type to go to the theater when I was a kid. So I had to wait for Transformers: The Movie to come out on VHS. When I was finally was able to rent it, but some jerk taped over it with Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. In 1987/88, our town only had that one nearby video rental store so I was SOL. Ninja Turtles was the next big thing, so my interest in Transformers gradually faded away in the early 90's.

fortmax.jpg

Fast forward to ~1999 and I spotted how much my Fortress Maximus was fetching on eBay. Being a poor college student, I decided to sell it to fund some other activities. So I ended up dragging FortMax with me after winter break and it was in my college dorm for a few weeks before I sold it. Thanks to having the box and Styrofoam, it fetched almost $700 although part of me wishes I had kept it.

Meanwhile my roommate had a friend visiting who spotted it and we started talking Transformers. I mentioned how I never got to see the movie and the guy excitedly says "I have it with me!" He then pulls out the clamshell VHS from his backpack.

1) I'm excited because I can finally watch it.
2) I'm also very weirded out that this guy travels with a copy of Transformers: The Movie.
When the movie came out i remembered I had 3 Transformers left at my moms house. I sold Trypticon, Skylynx and Defensor for 500 bucks on Ebay. they were about 7/10 in condition and Trypticon didn't have the box but had the styrofoam.

700 is quite the haul.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
When the movie came out i remembered I had 3 Transformers left at my moms house. I sold Trypticon, Skylynx and Defensor for 500 bucks on Ebay. they were about 7/10 in condition and Trypticon didn't have the box but had the styrofoam.

700 is quite the haul.

Yeah I remember seeing other ones (without the box/styrofoam) go for $400-500 depending on the condition. I was delighted to see how much the packaging boosted the price. Unfortunately I blew a chunk of the money on my one and only snowboarding trip plus tickets to a forgettable Avalanche@Kings game.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Earthrise premiered today. Only watching an episode a day. The begining is a more methodical pace than Siege so far.

"I'm always alert" :D

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Transformers - Earthrise debuted today.

I won't spoil it, but, it has some really good call backs to G1 and a surprise ending.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Transformers - Earthrise debuted today.

I won't spoil it, but, it has some really good call backs to G1 and a surprise ending.
This is not the Optimus Prime I know. He is more like Rodimus Prime. How does he let Megatron off the hook so many times!? He deserved to lose the Matrix of leadership

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I still haven't watched Earthrise because I keep forgetting about it and because I've heard some less than stellar things about it.

I'm also becoming increasingly frustrated by the state of collecting right now. It's at the point where just getting the baseline mass-market figures that should be easy to obtain has become a bafflingly difficult ordeal. Like today I finally ordered a Kingdom Dinobot off Amazon almost 3 months after its debut even though it's not in stock and I'm pretty much buying the promise that I should get one eventually, maybe. Just because I've yet to see one on a shelf in a Walmart or Toys R Us because stock levels suck and scalpers show up at store openings to poach everything right away. Never mind the limited availability stuff like Thrust and Runabout (I had to complain to TRU customer service about their staff dicking me over on a stock check for someone there to have a Runabout shipped from a store out in the boonies to my local one for purchase) or the fact that some stuff just plain isn't getting released in significant amounts (to my knowledge almost nobody has been able to get the Ramjet/Dirge double pack in North America unless they bought a chinese knockoff or one of the limited quantities of sets released in Japan)

If I'm totally honest I think I'm getting to the point that I might stop collecting most figures after Kingdom just because it's more frustration and stress than enjoyment.

That said, Studio Series 86 is fantastic. SS86 Grimlock is a thing of beauty, as is Jazz, Scourge, and Hot Rod.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->